Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ed Brisson Joins Amazing Spider-Man As Co-Writer

Games Radar notes Ed Brisson's increased role in the Amazing Spider-Man writing staff.

d Brisson has unexpectedly joined Marvel Comics' Amazing Spider-Man as co-writer as of June 9's Amazing Spider-Man #68. The publisher hasn't made a formal announcement, but Brisson's co-writing credit was included in an advance preview of Amazing Spider-Man #68 sent out to press over the weekend just days before its on-sale date.

Sources have confirmed that this isn't a one-off assignment, and Brisson will be co-writing Amazing Spider-Man with long-time series writer Nick Spencer for the immediate future.
    We can't blame Nick Spencer for failing to be prolific, with two issues a month, in addition to assorted giant-sized one-shots or tie-in events.

He has worked well as a cowriter in the past, with Hickman's Avengers a prime example, so I'm not really concerned. Brisson seems to have a decent reputation.

What do you guys think?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Games Radar notes Ed Brisson's increased role in the Amazing Spider-Man writing staff.

We can't blame Nick Spencer for failing to be prolific, with two issues a month, in addition to assorted giant-sized one-shots or tie-in events.

He has worked well as a cowriter in the past, with Hickman's Avengers a prime example, so I'm not really concerned. Brisson seems to have a decent reputation.

What do you guys think?
    Has he ever written Spider-man before?

Either way this hyped me up for 68 and the future issues since mephisto is the only player not really mentioned in the future solicits.

Astonishing Member

What do you guys think?
    I am not happy. I do not know what is worse the direction of ASM or the Yankees ( thank God for the Islanders). It means no Zdarsky or positive alternative to Spencer and we will be likely be stuck with this Kindred storyline until Amazing 900 at the earliest. If so I am done with Amazing and even commenting after August.
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 06-08-2021 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I am not happy. I do not know what is worse the direction of ASM or the Yankees ( thank God for the Islanders). It means no Zdarsky or positive alternative to Spencer and we will be likely be stuck with this Kindred storyline until Amazing 900 at the earliest. If so I am done with Amazing and even commenting after August.
    I don't think this would be the best way of looking at things, but there are plenty of situations where a writer takes on a cowriter and leaves a major title. For example, most of Ed Brubaker's last issues of Captain America were cowritten.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

What do you guys think?
    I like Ed Frisson. Dude delivered with his Bullseye mini and I am still upset his Ghost Rider was cut short (even though he had big things planned for it with the War In Hell and Mephisto manipulating things). So I don't mind if he is helping co-write.

Astonishing Member

I don't think this would be the best way of looking at things, but there are plenty of situations where a writer takes on a cowriter and leaves a major title. For example, most of Ed Brubaker's last issues of Captain America were cowritten.
    Spencer has had co-writers before. Dan Slott had them frequently. I guess any help is necessary to keep the pace up. In saying that, is Ed Brisson still doing the Predator comic? Because he was and then it unexpectedly got delayed. Was it due to this falling in his lap or is this the result of that book being delayed?

I like Brisson but I'm not sure Matthew Rosenberg really helped improve Last Remains so I'm not sure what to expect.

BANNED

I think it will just be for some weekly issues. Spencer does the twice-a-month issues while Brisson does the weekly stuff.

As it is Spencer's discipline has been remarkable in terms of workload. Before Brisson tomorrow, the only times he had co-writers was when Matthew Rosenberg did a couple of those '.LR' issues.

hopefully he is a good addition to the story. I just realized that sinister war is also its own book in addition to the amazing spider-man issues. After chameleon we should be finished with every side story in time for sinister war correct?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

It’s hard to tell the difference between the two, but it’s only one issue thus far. Only time will tell. Hopefully he’ll help trim some of the proverbial fat from the bloated Kindred arc.

Astonishing Member

You may be right. It is a very strange memo from Marvel. Why? Writing 2 and sometimes more issues a month seems very prolific to me. With Non-Stop there are plenty of Adult Peter issues a month. I wonder if this is simply a polite way of removing him from the book due to the unnecessary length and complexity of Kindred?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    hopefully he is a good addition to the story. I just realized that sinister war is also its own book in addition to the amazing spider-man issues. After chameleon we should be finished with every side story in time for sinister war correct?
    We're calling MJ/Mysterio, Kindred/various Osborns (which includes whatever is going on with Carlie), Mephisto/Strange, and any Order of the Web stuff (I refuse to believe the LR issues were just filler - that Order stuff will come back somewhere) as the main story stuff, right? I don't think it's clear if the Ned/Betty stuff will be finished (in some sense) in Chameleon Conspiracy or Sinister War, and the Rose's resurrection hasn't paid off yet (although that could be something Zdarsky picks up in DD, I suppose). Does it look like all the 2099 arc plot points will be closed by the end of the Chameleon Conspiracy?
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    You may be right. It is a very strange memo from Marvel. Why? Writing 2 and sometimes more issues a month seems very prolific to me. With Non-Stop there are plenty of Adult Peter issues a month. I wonder if this is simply a polite way of removing him from the book due to the unnecessary length and complexity of Kindred?
    marvel wasn't satisfied with their terrible and greed driven shipping ruining the book's art and pacing so why not screw with the writers
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Most, yes. But even now Spencer is still dropping new threads. We also have the revelation of MJ working with Mysterio, the plot with Strange investigating why Peter's soul is tainted, the Order Of The Web still needs to have solid resolution (some of them are still upset with Peter), Carlie and Harry still need to be rescued, the fallout from Richard Fisk being back, MJ and Overdrive's investigation.....

Still a few to go.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    We're calling MJ/Mysterio, Kindred/various Osborns (which includes whatever is going on with Carlie), Mephisto/Strange, and any Order of the Web stuff (I refuse to believe the LR issues were just filler - that Order stuff will come back somewhere) as the main story stuff, right? I don't think it's clear if the Ned/Betty stuff will be finished (in some sense) in Chameleon Conspiracy or Sinister War, and the Rose's resurrection hasn't paid off yet (although that could be something Zdarsky picks up in DD, I suppose). Does it look like all the 2099 arc plot points will be closed by the end of the Chameleon Conspiracy?
    The lingering thing from 2099 is the Clairvoyant right? That might possibly be done this arc. Unless it pops up again later.

But there is still a ton of threads. Doubt Sinister War wraps everything up satisfactorily. Hence why I think Spencer isn't done yet. I also doubt Spencer would bring The Rose back and not address it himself. That is going to factor into something down the road. Isn't a coincidence he comes back and Ned follows him this arc. Especially since it was those two who conspired against Wilson and kicked off the [I]Gang War[I] storyline in the issues in the 280s of Amazing.