Results 1 to 15 of 24

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    45,280

    Default DC Women of Action

    Shea Fontana of DC Super Hero Girls fame has written a book titled "DC Women of Action" that's set for release in Fall.

    The book will have 50+ profiles of female characters and women behind the scenes.


  2. #2
    Mighty Member MoneySpider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,215

    Default

    It's refreshing to see Vixen on the cover.
    Blue Marvel - Man of Marvels
    Storm - Goddess of the Elements
    Black Panther - King of Wakanda/King of the Dead
    Vixen - Queen of the Red

  3. #3
    Extraordinary Member Jackalope89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    5,021

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    It's refreshing to see Vixen on the cover.
    But why is Harley Quinn there? The others are great, sure. But Quinn? Ugh.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    21,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    But why is Harley Quinn there? The others are great, sure. But Quinn? Ugh.
    For good or for ill, she is popular.

    I'm more bothered the cover has three bat characters on it but otherwise it's fine.

  5. #5
    Mighty Member Electricmastro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    1,453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    For good or for ill, she is popular.

    I'm more bothered the cover has three bat characters on it but otherwise it's fine.
    I suppose adding characters like Black Canary, Hawkwoman, and Zatanna would have helped add more variety, but ah well.

    Last edited by Electricmastro; 08-25-2019 at 01:45 AM.

  6. #6
    Incredible Member jb681131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    It's refreshing to see Vixen on the cover.
    True, but no Zatanna, Lois Lane, Hawkwoman, Power Girl, Batgirl, ... It's a bit sad.

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member Phoenixx9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    4,944

    Default

    But is the book about the characters, or the women who write/draw/edit the stories?

  8. #8
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    45,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    For good or for ill, she is popular.

    I'm more bothered the cover has three bat characters on it but otherwise it's fine.
    I think the three they chose have both had major impacts as far as female portrayals in comics, so maybe that justified their presence on there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    But is the book about the characters, or the women who write/draw/edit the stories?
    Both.

  9. #9
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    True, but no Zatanna, Lois Lane, Hawkwoman, Power Girl, Batgirl, ... It's a bit sad.
    Zatanna yes
    Power Girl no since Supergirl is on the Cover and she is the same person
    Batgirl ok but there is already Batwoman on the Cover who has a new TV Series

    Hawkwoman ok, but I would rather put Black Canary on the Cover since we had the TV Show Arrow..

  10. #10
    Mighty Member Electricmastro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    1,453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    Zatanna yes
    Power Girl no since Supergirl is on the Cover and she is the same person
    Batgirl ok but there is already Batwoman on the Cover who has a new TV Series

    Hawkwoman ok, but I would rather put Black Canary on the Cover since we had the TV Show Arrow..
    As well as Black Canary appearing quite frequently in the Green Arrow, Justice League of America, and Batgirl and the Birds of Prey books from the last few years.

  11. #11
    Astonishing Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,643

    Default

    Pretty good LGBTQ representation though - they are the majority in that pic.

  12. #12
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,773

    Default

    It's a little unfortunate that over half the characters on the cover are derivative of male characters (Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, Joker). Black Canary, Lois Lane, Raven, Starfire and Bumblebee are all known characters outside of the comics, it would have been good to see some of them feature.

    But that's a minor quibble. It sounds like it'll be a good book, especially the focus on women creators.

  13. #13
    Mighty Member Electricmastro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    1,453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    It sounds like it'll be a good book, especially the focus on women creators.
    Speaking of which, was researching around to find out the women that have contributed the most frequently for DC, and it seems to be these women:

    Adrienne Roy
    Saida Temofonte
    Kristy Quinn
    Tatjana Wood
    Rachel Gluckstern
    Jessica Chen
    Brittany Holzherr
    Marie Javins
    Tanya Horie
    Katie Kubert
    Joan Hilty
    Karen Berger
    Trish Mulvihill
    Gail Simone
    Rebecca Taylor
    Jeanine Schaefer
    Amanda Conner
    Janelle Asselin
    Barbara Randall Kesel
    Ramona Fradon
    Carrie Strachan
    Carla Feeny
    Marguerite Bennett
    Sarah Gaydos
    Kate Durré
    Nansi Hoolahan
    Gloria Vasquez
    Elisabeth V. Gehrlein
    Maureen McTigue
    Sandra Hope
    Janice Chiang
    Cat Staggs
    Laura Allred
    Nei Ruffino
    Devin Grayson
    Noelle Giddings
    Emanuela Lupacchino
    Louise Jones Simonson
    Rachel Dodson
    Liz Erickson
    Liz Berube
    Michele Wolfman
    Wendy Broome
    Nicola Scott
    Julianna Ferriter
    Andrea Shea
    Jan Duursema-Mandrake
    Dann Thomas
    Jordie Bellaire
    Lilah Sturges
    Laura Martin
    June Chung
    Roberta Tewes
    Julia Lacquement
    Kelly Fitzpatrick
    Kim Yale
    Pamela Rambo
    Molly Mahan
    Veronica Gandini

  14. #14
    Death becomes you Osiris-Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    6,640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    For good or for ill, she is popular.

    I'm more bothered the cover has three bat characters on it but otherwise it's fine.
    It is interesting they chose Batwoman instead of Batgirl. Batgirl is so well known that people seeing the promos of the Batwoman TV series think she is Batgirl. Some even being upset they made Batgirl a lesbian.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    It's a little unfortunate that over half the characters on the cover are derivative of male characters (Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, Joker). Black Canary, Lois Lane, Raven, Starfire and Bumblebee are all known characters outside of the comics, it would have been good to see some of them feature.

    But that's a minor quibble. It sounds like it'll be a good book, especially the focus on women creators.
    Supergirl has been around for 60 years. That's longer than characters like Spider-Man and Iron Man. I would think by this time she was be considered a character in her own right rather than just a female knock-off of a male character.
    I do agree Lois Lane deserved recognition. But are Raven and Starfire so well known that the average person seeing them would even know who they are. Even Vixen isn't that well known. So obviously they were going for star power,
    characters more people would be interested in to pull readers in. A marketing thing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •