Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    BANNED

You can butcher a cow and make filet mignon.

Or you can butcher a cow and make dog food.

And, as usual, all sorts of variants between.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    The difference is Fox's butchering was hurting the franchise. Whatever can be labeled butchering on the MCU really hasn't.
    I wholeheartedly disagree, MCU is just well protected to get hurt. Thank you for opening further the truthful nature that their is a bias to MCU. We are seeing it more even now with Sony getting portrayed as the villains in the Disney failed deal but also its heartwarming to see Spiderman fans stand up for Sony and also discuss the obvious that marvel gets too much protection when they have the same problems as everyone else or worse.

It should be a thought for us that the directors who made the r rated xmen movies, dont like MCU films and that really hurts the MCU in a non Disney universe where filmmaking and creative thinking matters most for people like Ryan Renyolds and James Mangold. MCU is barely relevant. Deadpool does not need it. It is MCU that would look bad if deadpool is pg 13 not deadpool himself and that will hurt the MCU.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 08-31-2019 at 05:55 AM.

Mighty Member

IDK how anyone can defend the X-verse over the MCU when dark phoenix exists. They made the same movie twice and fumbled it both times. As much as I like Magneto and his actors, having watched the latest DP attempt it's easy to see he was overused in the X-verse movies to the detriment to their stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    I wholeheartedly disagree, MCU is just well protected to get hurt. Thank you for opening further the truthful nature that their is a bias to MCU. We are seeing it more even now with Sony getting portrayed as the villains in the Disney failed deal but also its heartwarming to see Spiderman fans stand up for Sony and also discuss the obvious that marvel gets too much protection when they have the same problems as everyone else or worse.

It should be a thought for us that the directors who made the r rated xmen movies, dont like MCU films and that really hurts the MCU in a non Disney universe where filmmaking and creative thinking matters most for people like Ryan Renyolds and James Mangold. MCU is barely relevant. Deadpool does not need it. It is MCU that would look bad if deadpool is pg 13 not deadpool himself and that will hurt the MCU.
    The protection the MCU gets is something that's earned from creating two dozen critically/commercially sucessful movies. Two dozen. That earns you the benefit of the doubt. Sony, Fox, and the WB frankly struggle to string 3 movies in a row that don't suffer audience backlash, so-so box office, or both.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    IDK how anyone can defend the X-verse over the MCU when dark phoenix exists. They made the same movie twice and fumbled it both times. As much as I like Magneto and his actors, having watched the latest DP attempt it's easy to see he was overused in the X-verse movies to the detriment to their stories.
    A lot of the cover they get is from Logan. I enjoyed Logan, the tone and content of Logan is fantastic, I'm a huge X-men fan.....but let's be real: if you wanted to pick apart the final battle of Logan it ain't hard. That entire scene, upon any kind of examination, was among the most contrived pile of illogical nonsense imaginable. Go ahead and watch the third act of Logan and tell me any of it made any sense.

Yet that movie gets propped up as "adult" and "brilliant" but I think all Logan really was...was a relatively good movie. And that was enough for people to go gah-gah over because the rest of what Fox gave us was horse crap.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

This just seems to boil down to the same reasons of the I hate the MCU thread...which got closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    A lot of the cover they get is from Logan. I enjoyed Logan, the tone and content of Logan is fantastic, I'm a huge X-men fan.....but let's be real: if you wanted to pick apart the final battle of Logan it ain't hard. That entire scene, upon any kind of examination, was among the most contrived pile of illogical nonsense imaginable. Go ahead and watch the third act of Logan and tell me any of it made any sense.

Yet that movie gets propped up as "adult" and "brilliant" but I think all Logan really was...was a relatively good movie. And that was enough for people to go gah-gah over because the rest of what Fox gave us was horse crap.
    I suppose that's the upside of Fox, WB, and Sony being hit and miss to the point where the audience has relatively low expectations... if they put out something even half descent, it's usually something to celebrate. At least they didn't kill the franchise THIS time, we can all say with a sign of relief.

M

I think it is disrespectful to many people like me who have read comic movies for decades and are tired of how disney is watering marvel down in films to keep up stereotypical narrative that comic movies are for kids. We want that narrative to stop now they have X-Men that has proven both with pg 13 and R rated movies that comic movies are not just a fun disney movie thing.

The source material in comic form is PG 13, I don't know how much times it needs to be explained. But again Comics aren't rated "R". Animated or drawn violence isn't viewed the same as live-action violence in America. A person under the age of 17 doesn't need a parent to buy a Deadpool comic. Disney is targeting the same audience who reads most comic books with the movies. We already lived it in strict comic code era , Comics didn't ban kids from getting books and target adults back then, Comics toned down detail of the violence their content so kids could read it. Comics industry is screwed without the 17 below demographic.

One curse word or one female nipple AND Deadpool comic would need an explicit warning. Mainstream Comics from big two barely fit the classification "rated R". They are very few explicit sex acts, Strong language or drug use in comics. The only thing they have that would make it R rated is violence which we have explained isn't view with same drawn and live-action. Comics get greater leeway with violent content but largely mainstream comics audience is aimed at teenagers/kids being able to access it. You can ask why comics and movies don't have same standards for teens. Comics are aimed at kids and teens mainly and adults are afterthoughts.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 08-31-2019 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    The protection the MCU gets is something that's earned from creating two dozen critically/commercially sucessful movies. Two dozen. That earns you the benefit of the doubt. Sony, Fox, and the WB frankly struggle to string 3 movies in a row that don't suffer audience backlash, so-so box office, or both.
    It is not earned, it is deceptive. You can't truly earn on what you don't deserve. Perhraps, MCU is in the poor artistically state it is now because they have been protected for way too long. its better to get though love than be pampered only to fumble. As fate would have it Deadpool on film is a good example.

If X-Men origins has not been criticized, Deadpool would not have happened, so Fox and Reynolds got a chance to correct their mistakes. Now if xmen origins was and MCU movie, it would have gotten protected with no honest criticism, Disney would just continue to make more origins movies. This is what happened with iron man 2 and iron man 3. iron man 2 was terribly disappointing but never got the deserved criticism. I wish it did, because if it did, Disney would not have even fallen harder with Iron Man 3, only this time comic book fans were not having it. they literally tore marvel to shreds for how the Mandarin was portrayed and for the poor tone of the movie. MCU getting protected is their own loss. Notice none hardly takes their high rt scores seriously anymore. it has lost all meaning.

Endgame would be pretty much considered crap by DOFP dystopian time travel standard. some x-fans have brought it up in the xmen forums There is little need for movies like black panther in xmen, when X2 is already there. X2 and DOFP highly independent grounded film quality style alone says it all to the animated looking mcu movies that look more like toy commercials advertisement.

If your mcu movies were xmen movies that fox did, they would go straight to DVDs, not only that, MCU would finally get the real criticism they deserve, MCU juvenile childish approach should not be compared to 55% of the xmen movies. this is the reason, we are not buying pg 13 deadpool and we want an adult themed universe even for the xmen pg 13 movies. we are not just saying this to spite Disney.

Perhaps you believe fox gave us 100% crap because you also said, the best part about the xmen universe is the humor. . an interesting take on the xmen universe, when you consider the fact that the animated show creators saw no goofy humor in the source material and used this as an opportunity to create an adult serious show that fox pretty much did in movies. That is only crap by Disney's narrative that now wants to erase deadpool, logan and even pg 13 DOFP.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 09-01-2019 at 12:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    The source material in comic form is PG 13, I don't know how much times it needs to be explained. But again Comics aren't rated "R". Animated or drawn violence isn't viewed the same as live-action violence in America. A person under the age of 17 doesn't need a parent to buy a Deadpool comic. Disney is targeting the same audience who reads most comic books with the movies. We already lived it in strict comic code era , Comics didn't ban kids from getting books and target adults back then, Comics toned down detail of the violence their content so kids could read it. Comics industry is screwed without the 17 below demographic.

One curse word or one female nipple AND Deadpool comic would need an explicit warning. Mainstream Comics from big two barely fit the classification "rated R". They are very few explicit sex acts, Strong language or drug use in comics. The only thing they have that would make it R rated is violence which we have explained isn't view with same drawn and live-action. Comics get greater leeway with violent content but largely mainstream comics audience is aimed at teenagers/kids being able to access it. You can ask why comics and movies don't have same standards for teens. Comics are aimed at kids and teens mainly and adults are afterthoughts.
    When you have time read how marvel came about with the concept of x-men tas, it's a very interesting concept.I guess this would be a taboo in 2019 now that disney marvel has taken over. the idea adults are an afterthought is what has sunk MCU to the point of no return and now MCU wants to drag deadpool and xmen down with it. I hope Ryan quits.

This is not my opinion, this was marvel's opinions in 1991-1992 about the kids vs adult market.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300560269.html
    ''none were hits. On top of that, the networks' recent successes had been young, light, and funny. X-Men: TAS was older, dark, and intense."
    "We showed superheroes as realistic adult characters in serious dramas. This was a risk, but the resulting worldwide success helped expand the audience who appreciated the comic books into the hundreds of millions who watched our show''.
    https://www.sdcomicfest.org/x-men-th...rsary-tribute/
    “The people in Hollywood never respected the books," Lewald said, explaining that the entertainment industry preferred dumbed-down stories and goofy humor. Instead, they decided to stay true to the source material and tell adult stories with adult problems on display''.

I love the last quote, stay true to the source material with adult problems on display. So again, the disney narrative marvel superheroes are just fun movies for kids with adult are an afterthought is not true. X-men has already proven it with cartoons, pg 13 movies and r rated movies.

I can't believe marvel in the 90s rejected light and funny and now in 2019 it is what their movies are mostly known for because their movies are actually disney movies now. sigh
    Last edited by Beaddle; 09-01-2019 at 01:00 AM.

When you have time read how marvel came about with the concept of x-men tas, it's a very interesting concept.I guess this would be a taboo in 2019 now that disney marvel has taken over. the idea adults are an afterthought is what has sunk MCU to the point of no return and now MCU wants to drag deadpool and xmen down with it. I hope Ryan quits.

This is not my opinion, this was marvel's opinions in 1991-1992 about the kids vs adult market.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300560269.html

https://www.sdcomicfest.org/x-men-th...rsary-tribute/

I love the last quote, stay true to the source material with adult problems on display. So again, the disney narrative marvel superheroes are just fun movies for kids with adult are an afterthought is not true. X-men has already proven it with cartoons, pg 13 movies and r rated movies.,

None of stuff you quoted means rated R. Telling adult or more mature stories and rated R is not the same thing. Current Young Justice and recent DC animated movies have been telling adult stories but the majority haven't been rated R. And couple that have been rated R isn't for nudity,sex, drugs or language it has been violence. Once again Americans don't give two craps about comic or video games violence in content for teens ala Mortal Kombat,GTA and Call of Duty have proven this over and over. The allowed violent content is higher in comics and video games but those things are clearly target a teens and younger.

Most comics are aimed at a PG13 audience anybody telling themselves anything different is fooling themselves. Yes there is a disconnect in how things are rated comics and movies that is different topic. But it is silly to say Deadpool has to be rated R when significant chunk of it audience is below 17 and can pick up his book without adult present. The subject matter told in the books aren't stop by PG 13 rating. I can put the challenge right here find me a Deadpool panel with him saying F**k uncenorsed, an active graphic sex scene, nudity or heavy drug use in his normal comic. You can't find it because all the elements of PG-13 rating are implemented in mainstream comics except gory/blood violence. Deadpool movie if it was told as comic would be Max book,Logan would movie be Max book as comic.Here is what happens to a Max book

Mature Readers books will fall under the MAX imprint, (created specifically for mature content titles) MAX and Mature-themed titles will continue to be designed to appear distinct from mainline Marvel titles, with the "MAX: Explicit Content" label very prominently displayed on the cover. MAX titles will not be sold on the newsstand, and they will not be sold to younger readers. It says anything from explicit to non-explicit.
    For reference this Marvel rating system now with the three labels relevant to this topic

T+ TEENS AND UP – Appropriate for teens 13 and above.

PARENTAL ADVISORY – Appropriate for 15 and up. Similar to T+, but featuring more mature themes and/or more graphic imagery. Recommended for teen and adult readers

EXPLICIT CONTENT – 18+ years old.

All X-men and Deadpool comics are either T+ TEENS AND UP or PARENTAL ADVISORY. Those translate to PG-13 movie which can tell very violent story but they can't be blood or gory because for some stupid reason the movie system stricter. So violence has to be toned down in that aspect on screen. Making Deadpool or X-men r rated is't matching the level of X-men comic stories or catering the audience who reads the comics.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 09-01-2019 at 01:58 AM.

It is not earned, it is deceptive. You can't truly earn on what you don't deserve. Perhraps, MCU is in the poor artistically state it is now because they have been protected for way too long. its better to get though love than be pampered only to fumble. As fate would have it Deadpool on film is a good example.

If X-Men origins has not been criticized, Deadpool would not have happened, so Fox and Reynolds got a chance to correct their mistakes. Now if xmen origins was and MCU movie, it would have gotten protected with no honest criticism, Disney would just continue to make more origins movies. This is what happened with iron man 2 and iron man 3. iron man 2 was terribly disappointing but never got the deserved criticism. I wish it did, because if it did, Disney would not have even fallen harder with Iron Man 3, only this time comic book fans were not having it. they literally tore marvel to shreds for how the Mandarin was portrayed and for the poor tone of the movie. MCU getting protected is their own loss. Notice none hardly takes their high rt scores seriously anymore. it has lost all meaning.

Endgame would be pretty much considered crap by DOFP dystopian time travel standard. some x-fans have brought it up in the xmen forums There is little need for movies like black panther in xmen, when X2 is already there. X2 and DOFP highly independent grounded film quality style alone says it all to the animated looking mcu movies that look more like toy commercials advertisement.

If your mcu movies were xmen movies that fox did, they would go straight to DVDs, not only that, MCU would finally get the real criticism they deserve, MCU juvenile childish approach should not be compared to 55% of the xmen movies. this is the reason, we are not buying pg 13 deadpool and we want an adult themed universe even for the xmen pg 13 movies. we are not just saying this to spite Disney.

Perhaps you believe fox gave us 100% crap because you also said, the best part about the xmen universe is the humor. . an interesting take on the xmen universe, when you consider the fact that the animated show creators saw no goofy humor in the source material and used this as an opportunity to create an adult serious show that fox pretty much did in movies. That is only crap by Disney's narrative that now wants to erase deadpool, logan and even pg 13 DOFP.
    You can't deceive people into liking your movie... they either do or they don't. For the majority of movie goers, the priority is less the MCU's artistic state and more whether or not their movies are fun. For MOST movie goers, if you enjoyed the movie the rest is secondary. The MCU was able to create two dozen different movies with different actors and different franchises and still give the audience what they want, time and time again. There have been no weak links in the chain ... no X3's or Spider-Man 3's or Origns threatening to kill the momentum of the franchise. If anything they are actually getting better at giving the audience what they want, with the last 5 out of 6 movies earning over a billion dollars.

And yes we're talking about box office but that's what the MCU is ultimately trying to do... create a product that the audience wants to pay to see. Call it greed or whatever if you want, but when they put out movies people enjoy and want to watch, it's a win win for everyone. And because they have been so sucessful at doing that, they have EARNED the benefit of the doubt from the audience. If a movie studio makes a movie you happen to enjoy 23 times in a row, why wouldn't you assume the 24th is somethng you probably want to spend 15 bucks on? They deserve that for doing it the past 23 times. If Sony, Fox, and the WB can't do 3 movies in a row without fumbling the ball then you're going to have to put a little more thought into spending that 15 bucks. That's just the way it is. You're going to be more critical of it, because you were burned more times.

As far as the MCU being childrens entertainment... did you look around the theater during the last scene of End Game? Because I can promise you it wasn't just children screaming their heads off. It was a lot of adults screaming their heads off like they were kids... but that was the point.
    Last edited by XPac; 09-01-2019 at 06:33 AM.

Mighty Member

I enjoyed Logan for what it was, but it felt a little too DoFP meets The Wolverine with X-23 thrown in to take Logan out of his element.

I enjoyed Logan for what it was, but it felt a little too DoFP meets The Wolverine with X-23 thrown in to take Logan out of his element.
    It was essentially blending a bunch of stuff that worked into something that worked. I guess if you're Fox and you've only got a couple things that work, you just go with it.

Amazing Member

So you're trying to say that it felt a little too previous Wolverine movie meets previous Wolverine movie with one of his most beloved supporting characters thrown in...That is called being a good sequel that builds off of prior films. And for what it's worth, X-23 was a phenomenal character in her own right and also as motivation for Logan to grow and change for the better. Saying that she was -just- thrown in to take Logan out of his element is doing a disserve to Dafne Keen. She was phenomenal and earned her place more than anyone in something like Dark Phoenix if you ask me.