Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

A quote from Kinberg and Hutch

“There really hasn’t, mostly because the depth and the complexity of the characters, there’s been nothing we haven’t been able to tackle within a PG-13,” Parker said. “Logan was driven by wanting to do something different with the nature of his condition, with the way in which we expressed and represented the violence, with the accumulation of that in a life. So there were very specific ideas that Jim wanted to explore that required an R. In this case, we would and could have had the conversation, but the material didn’t really warrant it in that same way and I think certainly the way which [Kinberg’s] explored the character-based issues of Dark Phoenix I’d say is darker and in many ways much more intense without necessarily requiring R-rating.”

“Kinberg added, “I think when you look at Dark Knight, that was a PG-13 movie and that tackled some really mature subject matter and was edgier and darker and more intense than previous movies in the genre had been, but that was still a PG-13. So like I've said, there was no need for extra swear words. The level of violence in this is intense for PG-13 movie but is still within the bounds of that.”
    I think there are some stories that could be R-rated. I don’t know what they are, I mean I think the mainline X-Men movies have their own tone, which is a more operatic tone. It’s more dramatic, it is more PG-13 in a way. X-Force I could see being R-rated, and who knows?
    Also nowhere I have seen where X-men 2 was submitted to be rated got an R rating then had to be cut to be a PG13. X-men 2 was always meant to be PG13. Wolverine 2 had the option of being rated R

We heard rumors earlier this year that 20th Century Fox was considering making Wolverine 3 rated R, no doubt emboldened by the immense success of Deadpool even though this R-rated Wolverine was in the works long before that film was released, and now it appears that the picture is indeed envisioned as a fully R-rated superhero movie. That’s kind of huge. Mangold shot an R-rated version of The Wolverine but also shot alternate takes to make sure they had the option of going PG-13 if they wanted to—which they did. But with Wolverine 3, the intention from the get-go is R-rated, so we’ll be getting the full, unfiltered creative vision when the finished film hits theaters.
    Wolverine Origins as well

I say ignorant because X-Men Origins: Wolverine was originally conceived as an R-rated film, as Game of Thrones co-creator and showrunner David Benioff (Troy, 25th Hour) was hired to pen the script in 2004. He would attempt to adapt the violent Weapon X comic and the solo Wolverine run by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller, with a “darker and brutal” version of character’s origin writing an R-rated script. Hugh apparently collaborated with David, so it wasn’t like he went rogue and did something people weren’t asking him to do.

That said, Benioff did say he wants to “rough” Wolverine/Jackman up a bit, giving him an opportunity to show sides the first two movies didn’t afford the character aside from the Mansion invasion scene in X2. Promising his story will be a “bit darker and a bit more brutal”, Benioff says he’s writing an ‘R’ script and that Marvel Studios and director will have to decide where to go from there.
    Lastly Tom Rothman

Fox producer Tom Rothman, known for his meddling, would come in and hire Hitman writer Skip Woods to overhaul David’s Origins script completely, I’m doubtful the final product looked anything like the original draft. The producers (Rothman) and director Gavin Hood were said to be responsible for gutting his script for a PG-13 rating, and it turning it into one of the worst X-Men films.

Rothman’s reign of micromanaging wouldn’t stop there, as he would have Hood’s sets completely redone to make them more lighter and less scary, the producer was known for his distain for the comic book movies and actively attempted to put up as many roadblocks to their success as possible.
    The big point is it is not Marvel that was keeping X-men PG13 . It was fox and if Deadpool hadn't leaked with R cut , Fox would have probably made Logan PG13 as well. Fox dumb lucked into success with Deadpool and Logan. We know this because New Mutants which should have been an easy R as horror project wasn't proving Fox learned absolutely nothing from its success. Fox wasn't this mastermind operation to making these mature movies it was sheer dumb luck. Which we all are thankful that it happened. Lastly we already see Tom Rothman handy works at Sony with Venom. People out here blaming "Disney" when Warner with DCEU, Sony and Fox all pass on doing R "stories" make them PG13 and everybody knows why it is happening except couple of people in this thread.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 09-06-2019 at 02:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    A quote from Kinberg and Hutch

Also nowhere I have seen where X-men 2 was submitted to be rated got an R rating then had to be cut to be a PG13. X-men 2 was always meant to be PG13. Wolverine 2 had the option of being rated R

Wolverine Origins as well

Lastly Tom Rothman

The big point is it is not Marvel that was keeping X-men PG13 . It was fox and if Deadpool hadn't leaked with R cut , Fox would have probably made Logan PG13 as well. Fox dumb lucked into success with Deadpool and Logan. We know this because New Mutants which should have been an easy R as horror project wasn't proving Fox learned absolutely nothing from its success. Fox wasn't this mastermind operation to making these mature movies it was sheer dumb luck. Which we all are thankful that it happened. Lastly we already see Tom Rothman handy works at Sony with Venom. People out here blaming "Disney" when Warner with DCEU, Sony and Fox all pass on doing R "stories" make them PG13 and everybody knows why it is happening except couple of people in this thread.
    X-Men 2 first movie cut was originally rated R but like I said, it is bigger just than R. the content matters, X2 by disney standard would be seen as R.Again why did disney reject the originally screenplay for iron man 3 that would have still been pg 13? making a demon in a bottle movie does not need R but disney still rejected the story.

You keep making studio coperate quotes. I can quote you many Kinberg's words on how much he learned from X3 going into dark phoenix. These people also said Iron Man 3 would be different, they also said we would get a real captain America 3 movie after civil war. Right now we can only measure deadpool and xmen against the MCU movies we have and those movies are too disney heavily driven to be considered right for xmen movies unless there is now a good justification for dumbing down movies just for it to merged with the disney formula. not.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 09-06-2019 at 02:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    X-Men 2 first movie cut was originally rated R but like I said,.
    The first cut of X2 was rated R by the Motion Picture Association of America, due to violent shots with Wolverine when Stryker's army storms the X-Mansion. A few seconds were cut to secure a PG-13 rating
    lol my bad. X2 got the "R rating" for part of Wolverine in the mansion scene and they cut a couple of seconds and the movie got a PG13 rating.

X2 was originally Rated R but was quietly trimmed down to met pg 13. If X2 was a MCU movie, there would have been more heavy trimming, as heavy as changing the cinematography of the film.
    Your proof that that X-men was supposed to be R is MPAA being stupid. You were here selling it like was filled tons of things and they had to go back and rework the film take out several things to make it PG13. They trim a couple of seconds. Literally, nothing would change if it was MCU movie GoTG2 has a far more violent sequence than just about anything in X-men franchise , Black Panther and Endgame have sequences as violent as the mansion sequence.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 09-06-2019 at 04:02 AM.

BANNED

X2 was rated R due to the mansion invasion scene, and Wolverine chopping up people.

Hardly content worth missing. Unless one has the mentality that "Rated R" automatically means "better movie". LOL

X2 was originally Rated R but was quietly trimmed down to met pg 13. If X2 was a MCU movie, there would have been more heavy trimming, as heavy as changing the cinematography of the film.
    First I've heard of that.

The best way to describe this situation is , A disney pg 13 are still very kid friendly compared to other movies. DOFP is pg 13 but Disney would see it more as R by their own standard. Does that make sense?
    No, since DOFP isn't that much different then the MCU movies in terms of "objectionable" content and since Disney also produced the Pirates of the Caribbean films.

R feels more like a word now for shallowness on this thread. I rather expand more to content since its the content that gives the ratings. Why did Disney not use the oringal iron man 3 screenplay? it could still have been a pg 13 movie?
    Not familiar with the production of that film.

Why is Holland's Spiderman fighting style very different compared to the older Spiderman movies that was pg 13?
    Because you're scraping the barrel for anything to prove your point?

Fat Thor has become more of a punch bag for jokes but I want to use it now in a serious content.
    Like when he talks to his mom in the Asgard scenes?

DOFP is a pg 13 film, so why couldn't Disney have just written a similar story for Thor to the one that was written for Xavier in DOFP since both characters were in similar situations? Many fans would have definitely appreciated it more for Thor.
    I think you're forgetting that DOFP also used Xavier's hungover-ness for jokes (e.g. when he first meets Wolverine in the past). Heck, the beginning of that scene, with Wolverine giving Beast a hard time and paying for it is exactly the kind of stuff you get in the MCU. You're also forgetting how the jokes at Thor's expense in Endgame do fade away as the movie goes on (most of the humor in the Asgard scenes is about how bad Rocket is at tough love even when he's trying).

Blood, gore, swearing, I have said already they are perks for movies with a more adult appeal.
    Some perks.

Hugh Jackman did a nude scene in DOFP, does that prove DOFP was a more mature comic movie to the MCU, yes it does...
    You really don't understand what the word "mature" means, do you?

...but I think you get more proof of that with the overall content of the film not because the movie had violence, swearing or nakedness. Come on, we already know this. We all watched Game of Thrones.
    I don't watch that myself. As far as you're proof thing, I have to say that you arguments sure don't reflect that opinion.

This is not really about all of us. This is about Deadpool and the xmen universe that don't need an unnecessary Disney kid-friendly make over. The make over was already rejected as back as 1992.
    No, I think this's more about what you want and think it should be then anything else. Far enough for you to have your opinions, but I don't feel you're arguing in good faith or giving the devil his due.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    X2 was rated R due to the mansion invasion scene, and Wolverine chopping up people.

Hardly content worth missing. Unless one has the mentality that "Rated R" automatically means "better movie". LOL
    That does seem to be the case with some people.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Fantastic Member

Chiming in late, but.....

A PG-13 Deadpool certainly CAN work, and if they decided to take it in that direction permanently, it would by no means be a deal-breaker for me. I'm hoping they leave it as R-rated, because I feel a studio as large as Disney showing confidence in an R-rated franchise, and it succeeding, will make it possible for other IPs that lend themselves to an R rating getting made. I don't think I'd care much for a PG-13 Lobo film, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    First I've heard of that.
    It's not surprising is the first you heard of that. Many MCU fans I know , know so little about the Non MCU Marvel movies. this is just another example.
    No, since DOFP isn't that much different then the MCU movies in terms of "objectionable" content and since Disney also produced the Pirates of the Caribbean films.
    DOFP is much different from the MCU. It won't be an MCU movie in 2014, maybe only a phase 1 film before the disney purchase. I remember phase 1 because of the problems that went on with Hulk but also the somber tone of the movie.

Because you're scraping the barrel for anything to prove your point?
    Because I am actually proving a point and you are scraping for the barrel. It was disney who watered down the fighting style, I am a spiderman fan who saw the difference. I can't take Holland fighting seriously. Maguire will kick my ass if I piss him off. Apparently disney interprets violence differently from sam raimi?

Like when he talks to his mom in the Asgard scenes?
    He is a joke for most of the movie , it overshadows the mum scene. I can also bring up a scene where Gohan remembers Goku, or a scene where xavier talks to his future self.
    fat thor is a strong example of the bad outweighing the good. this is scraping for barrel now. I just feel bad for the hard core thor fans who loved him from the comics more than the movies.

I think you're forgetting that DOFP also used Xavier's hungover-ness for jokes (e.g. when he first meets Wolverine in the past). Heck, the beginning of that scene, with Wolverine giving Beast a hard time and paying for it is exactly the kind of stuff you get in the MCU. .
    Like I already said, the problem with the MCU is the jokes ruins everything. no one has said xmen dont have jokes, they do but the jokes have never overweighs or overshadowed the drama. You are missing one another important point. [B]Xavier got the demon in a bottle story neither thor or iron did because disney can never do it.

You really don't understand what the word "mature" means, do you?
    I understand that nudity is usually done to appease a mature audience. i understand mcu would never do nudity. xmen movies both pg and r have done nudity because their movies can handle any content unlike the MCU.

No, I think this's more about what you want and think it should be then anything else. Far enough for you to have your opinions, but I don't feel you're arguing in good faith or giving the devil his due.
    I am not the person responsible for

Deadpool
    DOFP
    Logan
    Legion
    X-Men TAS
    Comics.
    Gifted
    X-Men Evolution

I just enjoy them as a fan and I think disney has not earned the right to strip away most of the well earned content of this adaptions.

That does seem to be the case with some people.
    Movies were usually seen as ''better'' when you push your boundaries more and can handle adult content but still respect kids that can watch. I think this is why people stopped taking mcu reviews seriously because The dumber their movies are, the better their reviews got? i mean thor only started getting ''amazing'' reviews when he became a joke, a gag, a clown? how can that be? when batman became a joke on purpose, it killed his franchise. he had to come back as a serious dude in batman begins with a grounded mature universe. that should apply to everyone even more for marvel since their comics were more adult appealing than DC. Geez, but when you name is disney, anything goes.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 09-06-2019 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    lol my bad. X2 got the "R rating" for part of Wolverine in the mansion scene and they cut a couple of seconds and the movie got a PG13 rating.

Your proof that that X-men was supposed to be R is MPAA being stupid. You were here selling it like was filled tons of things and they had to go back and rework the film take out several things to make it PG13. They trim a couple of seconds. Literally, nothing would change if it was MCU movie .
    So why did disney not just use the original iron man screenplay?

GoTG2 has a far more violent sequence than just about anything in X-men franchise , Black Panther and Endgame have sequences as violent as the mansion sequence
    Where? what scene?LOL Please link me up.

GOTG , Spiderman, Antman and Avengers are usually seen as the most top billed kid friendly MCU movies. There should be more violence in xmen evolution than GOTG.

GOTG worst offense was not if it used violence, it was that it failed to follow the comics that was quite smart, instead we got a brainless driven comedy space movie that has nothing to do with the source material because Disney can never make an intellectual science fiction movie like Arrival or Aliens. GOTG is lucky that it was not star wars or star trek, where people are more informed of the source material before seeing the actual movie.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 09-06-2019 at 01:36 PM.

Didnt we get a full bare back shot of Hulk in Ragnarok? You didnt see anymore of Jackman in DOFP. And we even got someone reacting to Hulks dick in that scene. So Marvel will do it just not in the context one person wants, so it doesn't count. Not to mention the Sex scenes from Luke Cage and JJ. Which isnt Marvel Studios but one poster seems to be attacking Disney and its defiently Disney.

It's not surprising is the first you heard of that. Many MCU fans I know , know so little about the Non MCU Marvel movies. this is just another example.

DOFP is much different from the MCU. It won't be an MCU movie in 2014, maybe only a phase 1 film before the disney purchase. I remember phase 1 because of the problems that went on with Hulk but also the somber tone of the movie.

Because I am actually proving a point and you are scraping for the barrel. It was disney who watered down the fighting style, I am a spiderman fan who saw the difference. I can't take Holland fighting seriously. Maguire will kick my ass if I piss him off. Apparently disney interprets violence differently from sam raimi?

He is a joke for most of the movie , it overshadows the mum scene. I can also bring up a scene where Gohan remembers Goku, or a scene where xavier talks to his future self.
    fat thor is a strong example of the bad outweighing the good. this is scraping for barrel now. I just feel bad for the hard core thor fans who loved him from the comics more than the movies.

Like I already said, the problem with the MCU is the jokes ruins everything. no one has said xmen dont have jokes, they do but the jokes have never overweighs or overshadowed the drama. You are missing one another important point. [B]Xavier got the demon in a bottle story neither thor or iron did because disney can never do it.

I understand that nudity is usually done to appease a mature audience. i understand mcu would never do nudity. xmen movies both pg and r have done nudity because their movies can handle any content unlike the MCU.

Deadpool
    DOFP
    Logan
    Legion
    X-Men TAS
    Comics.
    Gifted
    X-Men Evolution

I just enjoy them as a fan and I think disney has not earned the right to strip away most of the well earned content of this adaptions.

Movies were usually seen as ''better'' when you push your boundaries more and can handle adult content but still respect kids that can watch. I think this is why people stopped taking mcu reviews seriously because The dumber their movies are, the better their reviews got? i mean thor only started getting ''amazing'' reviews when he became a joke, a gag, a clown? how can that be? when batman became a joke on purpose, it killed his franchise. he had to come back as a serious dude in batman begins with a grounded mature universe. that should apply to everyone even more for marvel since their comics were more adult appealing than DC. Geez, but when you name is disney, anything goes.
    The problem with Batman is when it attempted to become a joke that wasn't actualy funny. Nothing is inherently wrong with humor... but like anything else, if humor is executed poorly it'll suck. Thor became less serious and funnier but still managed to be a good movie, and that's the difference between Thor and the later pre-Nolan Batman films.

Your mistake is assuming that because Marvel incorporates humor, they should automatically be taken less seriously. Doesn't work that way. There are plenty of good well received movies that are also funny. One doesn't preclude the other.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    You and your facts. Have you read this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    The problem with Batman is when it attempted to become a joke that wasn't actualy funny. Nothing is inherently wrong with humor... but like anything else, if humor is executed poorly it'll suck. Thor became less serious and funnier but still managed to be a good movie, and that's the difference between Thor and the later pre-Nolan Batman films.
    See I don't see it this way. I think the concept is just bad, it's like a person who breaks in to steal and gets caught and another that doesnt. both the successful thief and failed thief committed a crime. Batman and Thor used a very wrong concept.
    Thor became less serious and funnier but still managed to be a good movie, and that's the difference between Thor and the later pre-Nolan Batman films.
    Except I didn't think ragnarok was a good movie not by marvel comic stories. everything about it was poorly executed, really dumbed down to what I know could have been.

Your mistake is assuming that because Marvel incorporates humor, they should automatically be taken less seriously. Doesn't work that way. There are plenty of good well received movies that are also funny. One doesn't preclude the other.
    Isn't it quite ironic deadpool is also a comedy but does not get bashed for the humor like MCU does. why do you think this is the case? deadpool is a comedy but at the same time it was a movie made to kick back against the mcu movies that also relies on comedy?

See I don't see it this way. I think the concept is just bad, it's like a person who breaks in to steal and gets caught and another that doesnt. both the successful thief and failed thief committed a crime. Batman and Thor used a very wrong concept.

Except I didn't think ragnarok was a good movie not by marvel comic stories. everything about it was poorly executed, really dumbed down to what I know could have been.

Isn't it quite ironic deadpool is also a comedy but does not get bashed for the humor like MCU does. why do you think this is the case? deadpool is a comedy but at the same time it was a movie made to kick back against the mcu movies that also relies on comedy?
    Deadpool bashes comicbook movie in general but it goes after the DC and fox movies way more then the mcu. So not sure where your pulling that from

39wy9s.jpg

DOFP is much different from the MCU.
    Per say.

It won't be an MCU movie in 2014, maybe only a phase 1 film before the disney purchase. I remember phase 1 because of the problems that went on with Hulk but also the somber tone of the movie.
    Whatever, dude. This "MCU fan" likes it an awful lot, better then some MCU movies, not as well as certain ones, but what the heck? I like the variety.

Because I am actually proving a point and you are scraping for the barrel.
    Really? Last I checked, I was the only one trying to provide specific examples and explanations. Heck, I've gone into more detail to explain why I think the Guardians movies are good then you've in why you think they're bad, as a specific example.

It was disney who watered down the fighting style, I am a spiderman fan who saw the difference. I can't take Holland fighting seriously. Maguire will kick my ass if I piss him off. Apparently disney interprets violence differently from sam raimi?
    Seriously?

Whatever.

Like I already said, the problem with the MCU is the jokes ruins everything.
    So rumor has it. Can't say I've observed it to be that true, but I'm an oddball.

no one has said xmen dont have jokes, they do but the jokes have never overweighs or overshadowed the drama. You are missing one another important point. [B]Xavier got the demon in a bottle story neither thor or iron did because disney can never do it.

Thanks for confirming my initial point.

Deadpool
    DOFP
    Logan
    Legion
    X-Men TAS
    Comics.
    Gifted
    X-Men Evolution

As a Dwarf once said, they have the only right. (Besides, as stated time and again, they haven't actually made any yet, so it's pointless to argue that they can't do it when it's impossible to prove the claim.)

Movies were usually seen as ''better'' when you push your boundaries more and can handle adult content but still respect kids that can watch.
    Funny, that's what Pixar does, but you've been trying to dismiss them as little kiddie stuff.

I think this is why people stopped taking mcu reviews seriously because The dumber their movies are, the better their reviews got? i mean thor only started getting ''amazing'' reviews when he became a joke, a gag, a clown? how can that be? when batman became a joke on purpose, it killed his franchise. he had to come back as a serious dude in batman begins with a grounded mature universe. that should apply to everyone even more for marvel since their comics were more adult appealing than DC. Geez, but when you name is disney, anything goes.
    I think that's enough coffee for you today.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)