Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Might as well keep him long term.He wants to write her and he writes her well. Outside of the New 52/Azzarello, every other attempt to reinvent the wheel and shake things up has blown up in their face. So just stick with this.

In some cases Brian did have blown up. With how he treated the Amazons and how the most of the women were unless

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I totally didn't know that. You're probably right. Perhaps, that's why, a licensing issue, GW didn't or couldn't use Etta in her story. If that's the case, it's a shame that a Walmart promo comic has a better set up and supporting cast, than the monthly.
    Etta was around in Wilson's first arc, and I really doubt that the sparing use of Etta from Wilson's side has any other reason than a creative one. And I'd argue that the most important such was that earlier creative decisions from prior writers had made Etta not only boring but hard to use in any interesting way. Instead, Wilson had to introduce Maggie, who was and is a lot closer to original Etta than current Etta is.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Black Etta as stereotype...that's the cow patty no writer or artist wants to step in.

The Kelly TV show thought to get around it, by playing Etta straight and making her skinnier, but, that is equally problematic. Every brash, funny, fat black woman isn't a negative, racist stereotype; there are black women in my own family, who would attest to that. Furthermore, Etta Candy is, by design, a comedic character - her weight, behavior; if making her black means she can no longer provide that comic relief, she's not Etta, anymore. Maybe...

Etta can't be black? Maybe, there was nothing wrong with fat, white Etta that needed to be changed. Maybe, fat and funny anybody doesn't constitute a problem.

This character is worth taking an editorial stand for. Black or white, Etta should not have to be less fat or less funny to please the political correctness police. I think Etta, no matter her color, should be As Dr. Marston intended her: FAT, loud, bizarre and HAPPY. What's the matter with that?

Didn't mean to hijack this thread...sorry. I hope Steve keeps Etta, as she is!
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 09-08-2019 at 05:01 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Black Etta as stereotype...that's the cow patty no writer or artist wants to step in.

The Kelly TV show thought to get around it, by playing Etta straight and making her skinnier, but, that is equally problematic. Every brash, funny, fat black woman isn't a negative, racist stereotype; there are black women in my own family, who would attest to that. Furthermore, Etta Candy is, by design, a comedic character - her weight, behavior; if making her black means she can no longer provide that comic relief, she's not Etta, anymore. Maybe...

Etta can't be black? Maybe, there was nothing wrong with fat, white Etta that needed to be changed. Maybe, fat and funny anybody doesn't constitute a problem.

This character is worth taking an editorial stand for. Black or white, Etta should not have to be less fat or less funny to please the political correctness police. I think Etta, no matter her color, should be As Dr. Marston intended her: FAT, loud, bizarre and HAPPY. What's the matter with that?

I feel like this topic deserves a thread unto itself.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Etta was around in Wilson's first arc, and I really doubt that the sparing use of Etta from Wilson's side has any other reason than a creative one. And I'd argue that the most important such was that earlier creative decisions from prior writers had made Etta not only boring but hard to use in any interesting way. Instead, Wilson had to introduce Maggie, who was and is a lot closer to original Etta than current Etta is.
    I disagree, Shea Fontana's Etta was awesome! Just because subsequent writers wasted her doesn't mean she's boring or useless.

etta 20.jpg

etta 13.jpg

etta 14.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I disagree, Shea Fontana's Etta was awesome! Just because subsequent writers wasted her doesn't mean she's boring or useless.
    I agree that Fontana's Etta was good (and I think Fontana's short run is underrated). However, note what Fontana did: play down Etta's military connection, and instead focusing more on her family. I.e., making her closer to the original Etta.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Etta can be other things besides funny. It's called having layers.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I agree that Fontana's Etta was good (and I think Fontana's short run is underrated). However, note what Fontana did: play down Etta's military connection, and instead focusing more on her family. I.e., making her closer to the original Etta.
    I think "Woo Woo!" candy loving Etta may be a thing of the past, but then I came in on the capable, gun shooting Etta of Perez. She wasn't really a ball of fun, she was jealous of Diana and pined away for Steve, yet she wasn't useless either. There has to be a balance between the fun and drama. Maybe she should leave the military and become a private investigator or something else that provides story potential and fills a slot we can't get with Steve? Not that you can't be fun and be career military but it doesn't lend itself to that. In any event dour, chastising, Etta has to change, she's no fun at all.

I think the movie did an excellent job of making a more modern Etta (though of 1910's vintage rather than 2010's). Both De Liz and Morrison also did good jobs of modernising Etta.

For myself, I can see a modern Etta as an artist or designer. Pick up some of the themes from the movie: make her enthusiastic and with the appearance of an airhead, but in actuality a very capable organiser. The Holliday girls can be her old artist friends from college, all keeping a close network.

In be golden age. Etta Candy was a great leader. A fighter also. I don’t know I often thought that Diana and the Holliday girls would be more of a army than the actually military of Diana’s. If she trains them it would be cool to see a modern amazon team.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Steve Orlando's WW Annual #3 preview: https://screenrant.com/wonder-woman-...ent-leviathan/

Seems promising so far.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Steve Orlando's WW Annual #3 preview: https://screenrant.com/wonder-woman-...ent-leviathan/
    Sweet we are getting an old school villain. Kung is an unexpected choice.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Different editorial offices seem to be in charge of literally all three Wonder characters. Though, Bendis seems to have gotten his hands on Donna with his Secret Six idea too I guess.
    I’ve suspected this for a while now. It really is a disservice to Diana that characters that should be major parts of her mythos belong to another franchise. It’s one of the many things that are wrong with her set up. The wonder girls should have the same relationship to the Titan’s franchise as the Robins.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I’ve suspected this for a while now. It really is a disservice to Diana that characters that should be major parts of her mythos belong to another franchise. It’s one of the many things that are wrong with her set up. The wonder girls should have the same relationship to the Titan’s franchise as the Robins.
    Don't think Dick's been well-served, lately, myself (and by "lately" I mean the bulk of the last 18 years). And the Wonder Girls don't have the same history apart from the Titans the Robins do, and I do think that has to be acknowledged. Donna Troy, as a separate character, was invented by the Titans. Tim and Damian both had many more years in the Bat books before they had a team than Cassie did, and were much more developed there than Cassie was. Donna, in particular, to me, is far more tied to Titans and they have way more claim on her than the Wonder Team (if there was a proper one) ever would. Her development, and growth and original rise to awesomeness all happened there. Though teams do need to communicate and coordinate.

I really don't think any adult-and-now-grown sidekick needs to keep serving their tier 1 hero - I think that's a disservice to the new gens. I think that's been a real problem for Dick for a long time (possibly even since COIE, though that's probably overstating it) - keeping him below Batman or dragging him back down and making him a supporting character their again has been to his detriment. I think it's hurting Tim more lately as he's not allowed to grow up. Now, if you only care about the Trinity member, then having that done with Donna and Cassie is fine, but it's not with me. Not that I think they've been well-handled by Titans team, but I do think they stand a lot of more chance of being allowed to be top tier, if they aren't kept under the same umbrella the way the former Robins have been. I mean, I guess I understand it if you perceive of them as supporting characters that need to stay supporting characters, or even from the business perspective of meeting the big-name-trinity-character's story needs first and foremost. Just not my thing. But DC will definitely go that way, I think, in general, since their IPs are worth more.

The thing is, Batman trounces in sales, at least in recent history. Sad to me, because I don't like Batman much by himself. But he brings in the $$$. That's what gives his office power over things. Same thing was true when Superman's was created - he was the big dog. I guess the question is what Diana's sales were, relative to theirs, when they got their own editorial offices? Because, from my understanding, that's the way it went - not a "chicken or the egg" thing but sales first. If this is wrong, I apologize. I haven't looked that much into historical sales, but that was the impression I had.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 10-26-2019 at 06:19 PM.