Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Default Steve Orlando Back on Wonder Woman!

I know this is kind of old news but I thought Orlando deserved his own thread being that this will be his 3rd time on this volume of Wonder Woman. He takes over for the departing G. Willow Wilson and is slated to writer at least 6 issues(possibly more) along with the upcoming annual. Orlando has hinted to me on Twitter that we'll see the return of another long missing Wonder-rogue in the annual which ties into the Event Leviathan crossover. Any guesses on who it could be?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Incredible Member

Angle Man? He hasn't been used in any substantive way since PJ's run, and he was pretty much made into an incompetent joke afterwards.

Yay, I'm excited for what Orlando could bring to the title.

As for a Leviathan-allied foe, the original Doctor Cyber would fit the bill excellently. Not sure how the current version would be received in that capacity - but I can see how they might make it happen.

One of the challenges to writing WW is creating something new - namely, a supporting cast and a rogues gallery - and making it feel, as though it's been in place, for over half a century. I don't envy Mr. Orlando, that, and I hope he is allowed to or under mandate to keep Maggie, Steve, Aphrodite and Ferdinand in place, as the cast. What harm could it do?
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Angle Man? He hasn't been used in any substantive way since PJ's run, and he was pretty much made into an incompetent joke afterwards.
    I recall Angle Man showing up during the "Truth" storyline in the Superman books, but I think he was killed off.

I wish for nothing else than to be disproven about this, but I'm not sure Orlando is the right long-term writer for Wonder Woman without editorial guidance that I'm sure DC is unable to give him.

So far he has written 6 issues. Of these one was excellent (#51), but the following four felt like they were of declining quality. Especially the Bana-Mighdall trope fell hard into the Mighty Whitey trope and did nothing to move them out of the racist stereotyping they all to often are placed into. And #73 showed that he didn't have a patch on writers like Simone or Wilson in writing good and engaging dialogue, and fell hard into the trope that ties motherhood with goodness, and abortion with evil.

So I think we will get some good and engaging stories, I don't think this will be good for Wonder Woman long-term.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

And #73 showed that he didn't have a patch on writers like Simone or Wilson in writing good and engaging dialogue, and fell hard into the trope that ties motherhood with goodness, and abortion with evil.
    I was not a fan of that. But haven't really liked Wilson's stuff, either. Guess I'm doomed to be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I wish for nothing else than to be disproven about this, but I'm not sure Orlando is the right long-term writer for Wonder Woman without editorial guidance that I'm sure DC is unable to give him.

So far he has written 6 issues. Of these one was excellent (#51), but the following four felt like they were of declining quality. Especially the Bana-Mighdall trope fell hard into the Mighty Whitey trope and did nothing to move them out of the racist stereotyping they all to often are placed into. And #73 showed that he didn't have a patch on writers like Simone or Wilson in writing good and engaging dialogue, and fell hard into the trope that ties motherhood with goodness, and abortion with evil.

So I think we will get some good and engaging stories, I don't think this will be good for Wonder Woman long-term.
    I liked all those stories. If Orlando does nothing else he broadens the WW mythos, bringing in Artemis and the Bana, remembering Superwoman's lasso and creating Empress Hippolyta were good moves. So is the way he brings back obscure WW villains like Tezcatlipoca and Inversion, the Inside-Out Man. I'm fully on board with no reservations.

creating Empress Hippolyta were good moves
    I am so not into her at all. Or the Chi Dimension at all. Would love to never see either again. Not a particular fan of the Bana, either (the concept, their motivation, etc). Artemis herself is okay in what I've read of her.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 08-25-2019 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    One of the challenges to writing WW is creating something new - namely, a supporting cast and a rogues gallery - and making it feel, as though it's been in place, for over half a century. I don't envy Mr. Orlando, that, and I hope he is allowed to or under mandate to keep Maggie, Steve, Aphrodite and Ferdinand in place, as the cast. What harm could it do?

I agree with you on everything except keeping Maggie. She's another creator pet character and has only been around for Wilson's run much like Zola was only around for Azzarello(and a bit of the Finchs') run. I don't really see any long term vitality for the character especially when Cassie and Donna have yet to appear in this run of the book. Also, we just got Nubia back so I'd prefer page time was given to her, Donna, or Cassie.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Extraordinary Member

Loved all his issues and looking forward to more of the same
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I agree with you on everything except keeping Maggie. She's another creator pet character and has only been around for Wilson's run much like Zola was only around for Azzarello(and a bit of the Finchs') run. I don't really see any long term vitality for the character especially when Cassie and Donna have yet to appear in this run of the book. Also, we just got Nubia back so I'd prefer page time was given to her, Donna, or Cassie.
    I think you're doing Maggie a disservice by calling her a creator pet character. Maggie filled the role that the original Etta Candy filled, as a fun and capable sidekick to Diana.

Note also that I doubt it was up to Wilson to use Cassie or Donna in the book. Sometimes it feels like DC is the worst enemy of its writers…
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Doesn't this assume we are talking about Orlando being a "Long-Term..." choice?

While I haven't been paying the close attention, I don't get the feel that Orlando taking over is being sold as a long-term run.

I think you're doing Maggie a disservice by calling her a creator pet character. Maggie filled the role that the original Etta Candy filled, as a fun and capable sidekick to Diana.

Note also that I doubt it was up to Wilson to use Cassie or Donna in the book. Sometimes it feels like DC is the worst enemy of its writers…

Yeah, I just don't see that appeal in Maggie. She's not a horrible character or 1 dimensional like I thought Zola was but I don't think she's a keeper either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Yeah, I just don't see that appeal in Maggie. She's not a horrible character or 1 dimensional like I thought Zola was but I don't think she's a keeper either.
    Hopefully, he'll bring back Etta and Mala, as Diana's companions. Maggie's and Aphrodite's personalities are near perfect matches for how I think Etta and Mala could be written. Think terminally cheerful, blond camp counselor meets black, Rebel Wilson character, with Gal Gadot's Diana in between them...instant comedy classic!

Anyway, Steve Orlando seems to have an appreciation for Wonder-mythos, and that might get some of the classic regulars, back in the comic.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 08-26-2019 at 07:54 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!