Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 40 of 40
  1. #31
    Extraordinary Member AmiMizuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,649

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Might as well keep him long term.He wants to write her and he writes her well. Outside of the New 52/Azzarello, every other attempt to reinvent the wheel and shake things up has blown up in their face. So just stick with this.

    In some cases Brian did have blown up. With how he treated the Amazons and how the most of the women were unless

  2. #32
    Astonishing Member kjn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    3,018

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I totally didn't know that. You're probably right. Perhaps, that's why, a licensing issue, GW didn't or couldn't use Etta in her story. If that's the case, it's a shame that a Walmart promo comic has a better set up and supporting cast, than the monthly.
    Etta was around in Wilson's first arc, and I really doubt that the sparing use of Etta from Wilson's side has any other reason than a creative one. And I'd argue that the most important such was that earlier creative decisions from prior writers had made Etta not only boring but hard to use in any interesting way. Instead, Wilson had to introduce Maggie, who was and is a lot closer to original Etta than current Etta is.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

  3. #33
    The Comixeur Mel Dyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,062

    Default

    Black Etta as stereotype...that's the cow patty no writer or artist wants to step in.

    The Kelly TV show thought to get around it, by playing Etta straight and making her skinnier, but, that is equally problematic. Every brash, funny, fat black woman isn't a negative, racist stereotype; there are black women in my own family, who would attest to that. Furthermore, Etta Candy is, by design, a comedic character - her weight, behavior; if making her black means she can no longer provide that comic relief, she's not Etta, anymore. Maybe...

    Etta can't be black? Maybe, there was nothing wrong with fat, white Etta that needed to be changed. Maybe, fat and funny anybody doesn't constitute a problem.

    This character is worth taking an editorial stand for. Black or white, Etta should not have to be less fat or less funny to please the political correctness police. I think Etta, no matter her color, should be As Dr. Marston intended her: FAT, loud, bizarre and HAPPY. What's the matter with that?

    Didn't mean to hijack this thread...sorry. I hope Steve keeps Etta, as she is!
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 09-08-2019 at 05:01 PM.
    Look alive, Kangaliers!

  4. #34
    hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Black Etta as stereotype...that's the cow patty no writer or artist wants to step in.

    The Kelly TV show thought to get around it, by playing Etta straight and making her skinnier, but, that is equally problematic. Every brash, funny, fat black woman isn't a negative, racist stereotype; there are black women in my own family, who would attest to that. Furthermore, Etta Candy is, by design, a comedic character - her weight, behavior; if making her black means she can no longer provide that comic relief, she's not Etta, anymore. Maybe...

    Etta can't be black? Maybe, there was nothing wrong with fat, white Etta that needed to be changed. Maybe, fat and funny anybody doesn't constitute a problem.

    This character is worth taking an editorial stand for. Black or white, Etta should not have to be less fat or less funny to please the political correctness police. I think Etta, no matter her color, should be As Dr. Marston intended her: FAT, loud, bizarre and HAPPY. What's the matter with that?

    Didn't mean to hijack this thread...sorry. I hope Steve keeps Etta, as she is!
    I feel like this topic deserves a thread unto itself.

    "I'll always love you, Jean Grey." "I'll always love you too, Scott Summers." - Scott Summers and Jean Grey

  5. #35
    Mighty Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Etta was around in Wilson's first arc, and I really doubt that the sparing use of Etta from Wilson's side has any other reason than a creative one. And I'd argue that the most important such was that earlier creative decisions from prior writers had made Etta not only boring but hard to use in any interesting way. Instead, Wilson had to introduce Maggie, who was and is a lot closer to original Etta than current Etta is.
    I disagree, Shea Fontana's Etta was awesome! Just because subsequent writers wasted her doesn't mean she's boring or useless.

    etta 20.jpg

    etta 13.jpg

    etta 14.jpg

  6. #36
    Astonishing Member kjn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    3,018

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I disagree, Shea Fontana's Etta was awesome! Just because subsequent writers wasted her doesn't mean she's boring or useless.
    I agree that Fontana's Etta was good (and I think Fontana's short run is underrated). However, note what Fontana did: play down Etta's military connection, and instead focusing more on her family. I.e., making her closer to the original Etta.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

  7. #37
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    20,344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Black Etta as stereotype...that's the cow patty no writer or artist wants to step in.

    The Kelly TV show thought to get around it, by playing Etta straight and making her skinnier, but, that is equally problematic. Every brash, funny, fat black woman isn't a negative, racist stereotype; there are black women in my own family, who would attest to that. Furthermore, Etta Candy is, by design, a comedic character - her weight, behavior; if making her black means she can no longer provide that comic relief, she's not Etta, anymore. Maybe...

    Etta can't be black? Maybe, there was nothing wrong with fat, white Etta that needed to be changed. Maybe, fat and funny anybody doesn't constitute a problem.

    This character is worth taking an editorial stand for. Black or white, Etta should not have to be less fat or less funny to please the political correctness police. I think Etta, no matter her color, should be As Dr. Marston intended her: FAT, loud, bizarre and HAPPY. What's the matter with that?

    Didn't mean to hijack this thread...sorry. I hope Steve keeps Etta, as she is!
    Etta can be other things besides funny. It's called having layers.

  8. #38
    Mighty Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I agree that Fontana's Etta was good (and I think Fontana's short run is underrated). However, note what Fontana did: play down Etta's military connection, and instead focusing more on her family. I.e., making her closer to the original Etta.
    I think "Woo Woo!" candy loving Etta may be a thing of the past, but then I came in on the capable, gun shooting Etta of Perez. She wasn't really a ball of fun, she was jealous of Diana and pined away for Steve, yet she wasn't useless either. There has to be a balance between the fun and drama. Maybe she should leave the military and become a private investigator or something else that provides story potential and fills a slot we can't get with Steve? Not that you can't be fun and be career military but it doesn't lend itself to that. In any event dour, chastising, Etta has to change, she's no fun at all.

  9. #39
    Astonishing Member kjn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    3,018

    Default

    I think the movie did an excellent job of making a more modern Etta (though of 1910's vintage rather than 2010's). Both De Liz and Morrison also did good jobs of modernising Etta.

    For myself, I can see a modern Etta as an artist or designer. Pick up some of the themes from the movie: make her enthusiastic and with the appearance of an airhead, but in actuality a very capable organiser. The Holliday girls can be her old artist friends from college, all keeping a close network.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

  10. #40
    Extraordinary Member AmiMizuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,649

    Default

    In be golden age. Etta Candy was a great leader. A fighter also. I don’t know I often thought that Diana and the Holliday girls would be more of a army than the actually military of Diana’s. If she trains them it would be cool to see a modern amazon team.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •