Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Batman.

I believe that the JLA would have been better off if he had never joined.
    Man of Steel, Batman v. Superman, Justice League.

My favorite film trilogy.

Amazing Member

John Stewart

Element Woman. Apparently Metamorpho wasn't good enough, so they just made him a woman and gave her the most obnoxious, over-the-top personality possible. Utterly worthless character I'm glad has been relegated to limbo. May she never rise again, unless it's to get killed off.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    Element Woman. Apparently Metamorpho wasn't good enough, so they just made him a woman and gave her the most obnoxious, over-the-top personality possible. Utterly worthless character I'm glad has been relegated to limbo. May she never rise again, unless it's to get killed off.
    When was this?

I know there was a female version of Metamorpho who showed up in an issue of Gaiman's Sandman. That was a very well done issue. But then, it was Gaiman's Sandman. They were all very well done issues.
    Just re-reading my old collection, filling in the occasional gap with back issues, not buying anything new.

Currently working my way through 1990's Flash, Impulse, and JLA, and occasional other related stuff.

I can find something to like about every official Leaguer (ie everyone that appeared on the cover the massive JLA/Avengers crossover cover by Perez). I'll even say nice things about Faith and G'nort. That said, I've got a few that annoy me:

1. Triumph. "Oh hey, I founded the Justice League, but you all forgot me. Also, I'm a bit of a jerk." No, just no.
    2. Moon Maiden. To be fair, she's not that annoying a character. But if I put Triumph on the list, I kind of have to include Retcon Girl, too.
    3. The Yazz. Sometimes, the "supporting characters that hang out with the JLA and become de facto members" thing works. Sometimes, they're just yazzin' nuisances.
    4. Bloodwynd. When most people STILL think you're just the Martian Manhunter is disguise, you know you're something of a nobody.
    5. General Glory. A joke that was dragged out WAY past its sell point.
    6. Huntress. In any incarnation, she always seems fundamentally unsuited to the JLA, and always in a bland "we could have told you so" kind of way.
    7. Lobo. I LIKE Lobo. Lobo has no business being anywhere near a Justice League communicator.

Those are the ones that occur to me now.

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fromper View Post
    When was this?

I know there was a female version of Metamorpho who showed up in an issue of Gaiman's Sandman. That was a very well done issue. But then, it was Gaiman's Sandman. They were all very well done issues.
    The character that appeared in Sandman was the original Element Girl from the '60s. Man, that issue was sad. In a masterfully told way.

The Element Woman in the JLA is a newer character. I think she debuted in that "Throne of Atlantis" event from a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    I can find something to like about every official Leaguer (ie everyone that appeared on the cover the massive JLA/Avengers crossover cover by Perez). I'll even say nice things about Faith and G'nort. That said, I've got a few that annoy me:

1. Triumph. "Oh hey, I founded the Justice League, but you all forgot me. Also, I'm a bit of a jerk." No, just no.
    2. Moon Maiden. To be fair, she's not that annoying a character. But if I put Triumph on the list, I kind of have to include Retcon Girl, too.
    3. The Yazz. Sometimes, the "supporting characters that hang out with the JLA and become de facto members" thing works. Sometimes, they're just yazzin' nuisances.
    4. Bloodwynd. When most people STILL think you're just the Martian Manhunter is disguise, you know you're something of a nobody.
    6. Huntress. In any incarnation, she always seems fundamentally unsuited to the JLA, and always in a bland "we could have told you so" kind of way.
    7. Lobo. I LIKE Lobo. Lobo has no business being anywhere near a Justice League communicator.

to be fair, I don't think Bloodwynd ever got a fair shake. he was before my time and seems cool but from my understanding he was largely background and then it was revealed he was being impersonated by Martian Manhunter for a majority of that time. I demand justice for Bloodwynd!
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Plastic Man. Can’t stand him!
    The only good Plastic Man I've seen in recent years was Kyle Baker's series (and his appearance in Scooby Doo Team Up by Sholly Fisch was great too).
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I'm gonna have to say Booster Gold, he's the only character that I truly don't get the appeal of. I don't dislike him particularly, I'm just so indifferent toward him that he perplexes me in some ways.
    Thank you! I cannot understand all the love Booster Gold gets on CBR.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post

Okay, I'm with you there, too. At least since post-COIE, maybe late bronze. I'm not sure when the change happened. He was a real jerk to some of them early post-COIE. I know it's the non-big-name-team, but he was such a jerk. But I don't know if that was a pretty consistent thing until 15 or 20 years later. My JL reading is sporadic. I've read most of 1970-1980, but only scattered bits from some other eras, because I wasn't enjoying the stories, so why keep reading? And, of course, there are some other eras I might like to read, but just haven't gotten around to, yet.
    He became a jerk after Miller's Dark Knight. It worked for that story, but DC took from its popularity that that's what a good Batman should be like. Not my cup of tea; haven't read Batman or Detective regularly since.
    Sandy Hausler

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    Probably Green Arrow. Not saying he's a bad character, but besides his attitude and chemistry/no chemistry with the other members, I never liked him being part of JL missions.
    I always liked GA, but I'm reading a trade of JLA stories from the early 70s, at the time that Black Canary first comes to Earth 1, and I was amazed at how possessive he was. Anyone looks at BC (except Batman, who, evidently, wasn't obvious enough for GA to notice), and Green Arrow's in his face. This is especially so in the issue with the Harlan Ellison clone (Harlequin Ellis), who fell in love with Black Canary after having a cup of coffee with her.
    Sandy Hausler

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    I always liked GA, but I'm reading a trade of JLA stories from the early 70s, at the time that Black Canary first comes to Earth 1, and I was amazed at how possessive he was. Anyone looks at BC (except Batman, who, evidently, wasn't obvious enough for GA to notice), and Green Arrow's in his face. This is especially so in the issue with the Harlan Ellison clone (Harlequin Ellis), who fell in love with Black Canary after having a cup of coffee with her.
    Not properly on-topic, but I read an response to a letter in one issue saying Roy and Ollie were a lot alike, and that's why they didn't get along (bronze age). I never really thought of them as especially alike, but in the course of my reading in that time, I saw Ollie do that with Dinah, and Roy do the same thing with Donna (and Hawk, maybe?) and it just made me laugh since I'd recently read that. Disliked it from both guys. And I seem to recall that Ollie did gripe about Batman, too. Said something about being on the Flash's team when they split up, since he was married and didn't move on other guy's girls or something like that?

I definitely have preferred writers there. There's one who had Dinah do the caricature-of-feminist-harridan-thing, and as soon as she stopped, Ollie was sexist neanderthal for a bit. But that was them not in JLA, but just them in some other title.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 08-27-2019 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post

On Lobo; I'd still have him on speed dial. The guy is pretty handy to have on your side, no matter what.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batknight View Post
    Cyborg, always reduced to super hacker tech support guy with no personality or character with the rest of the team.
    Yeah, Cyborg didn't work for me as a Justice Leaguer.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Faith.

I have no idea what her power set was, who she was or what her deal was.
    Did we EVER find out??
    Been awhile here, but I *think* we got a little bit answered in that white power arc. I stopped reading JLA after Kelly left, though, so I don't know if they expanded on her at all (or if she disappeared completely).