Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    722

    Default Beast's powers in the "Beginnings" Saga

    Hello guys,

    Beast is one of my fave cinematic & comic book X-Men, so forgive me if I will open some Beast threads in the future to come.

    Well:

    1- In First Class, Hank originally had ape-like feet but looked overall human. After he took the serum, he turned into the feline Beast form. Were his feet always gigantic, proportionally speaking? In truth, I only remember his hands being slightly bigger, but I could be wrong on this. Could you check this out?

    2- How do you think the transition between the Feline and the Ape form happened? I guess it was an unwanted counter-effect of the new serum he started to take inbetween First Class and Days of Future Past.

    3- Is it me, or in Dark Phoenix Hank can switch from his human-looking form to Beast form without getting "angry"? New, refined form of his serum?


    Thank you for the feedback.

  2. #2
    Astonishing Member CRaymond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    4,153

    Default

    In the movie, his serum is derived from Mystique, hence the blue coloring and ability to transition.

    In the books, he's just messing around, and Marvel has a lot of blue ink to work with in the 70s.

    The feet and hands being larger and stronger were from the 60s books, but I don't think they were ever freakish like in the movies.

  3. #3
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    137

    Default

    In the comics, Beast started in human form. Of the original X-Men (including himself, Cyclops, Iceman, Jean Grey, and Angel), he was the most obvious mutant. The others could "look" human: Cyclops could wear ruby quartz shades; Angle could bind his wings and cover up; Iceman and Jean could simply power down and fit right in. But Hank had oversize hands and feet, I mean freakishly large. In the 1970's while he was with the Defenders or Avengers (I forget which team), he tried to concoct a serum that would reduce his physical appearance and it only made things worse. He sort of became a blue or grey-furred Mr. Hyde, with claws and fangs to go with his large hands and feet. Later on, he would gain a more jowly, feline appearance (which sucked).

    Originally, he was the team's Nightcrawler, with his mutation making it painfully obvious of his species. Story lines addressed this issue for him, which lead to his experimental serum.

    In the film series, it's pretty much the same thing, although I do think he had some control by taking his serum to turn things on-and-off. I guess his hands (and to a lesser extent his feet) were fairly normal, but I'm guessing it was that way because having to wear prosthetic hands would have looked goofy.

  4. #4
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimsmack View Post

    In the film series, it's pretty much the same thing, although I do think he had some control by taking his serum to turn things on-and-off. I guess his hands (and to a lesser extent his feet) were fairly normal, but I'm guessing it was that way because having to wear prosthetic hands would have looked goofy.
    I agree. I'm just under the impression that his Feline Beast hands were slightly bigger (FC), but I could be wrong.
    Ape Beast hands are normal-sized in following films.

  5. #5
    Incredible Member MechaJeanix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    650

    Default

    Movie Beast was pretty good though I wasn't sure if the actor was the right fit (due to being slim and skinny compared to the original Hank McCoy from the X-men). I always saw Hanks as a football player build (just larger). I think he did have bit hands and feet. His body was kind of broad.

    I loved Beast as Cat Beast. Morrison's version of Beast is my favorite when it comes to the comics. Of course 90's Beast was great too in his more 'Ape' esque appearance.

  6. #6
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    I think he did have bit hands and feet. .
    My main concern was about the hands of the movieverse Feline form in "First Class"...

  7. #7
    Mighty Member K7P5V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    1,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimsmack View Post
    In the comics, Beast started in human form. Of the original X-Men (including himself, Cyclops, Iceman, Jean Grey, and Angel), he was the most obvious mutant. The others could "look" human: Cyclops could wear ruby quartz shades; Angle could bind his wings and cover up; Iceman and Jean could simply power down and fit right in. But Hank had oversize hands and feet, I mean freakishly large. In the 1970's while he was with the Defenders or Avengers (I forget which team), he tried to concoct a serum that would reduce his physical appearance and it only made things worse. He sort of became a blue or grey-furred Mr. Hyde, with claws and fangs to go with his large hands and feet. Later on, he would gain a more jowly, feline appearance (which sucked).

    Originally, he was the team's Nightcrawler, with his mutation making it painfully obvious of his species. Story lines addressed this issue for him, which lead to his experimental serum.

    In the film series, it's pretty much the same thing, although I do think he had some control by taking his serum to turn things on-and-off. I guess his hands (and to a lesser extent his feet) were fairly normal, but I'm guessing it was that way because having to wear prosthetic hands would have looked goofy.
    Admittedly, I never really warmed up to the feline version of Beast. But darn it, Stuart Immonen nearly convinced me to think otherwise when he drew his scruffy version of feline Beast during Bendis' All-New X-Men.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 08-30-2019 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Added clarification.

  8. #8
    Extraordinary Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    6,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    Hello guys,

    Beast is one of my fave cinematic & comic book X-Men, so forgive me if I will open some Beast threads in the future to come.

    Well:

    1- In First Class, Hank originally had ape-like feet but looked overall human. After he took the serum, he turned into the feline Beast form. Were his feet always gigantic, proportionally speaking? In truth, I only remember his hands being slightly bigger, but I could be wrong on this. Could you check this out?
    Kinda recall he had bigger feet in blue form, but I don't think this was carefully followed from movie to movie.

    Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    2- How do you think the transition between the Feline and the Ape form happened? I guess it was an unwanted counter-effect of the new serum he started to take inbetween First Class and Days of Future Past.
    I think this falls under redesign and has no "in-universe" explanation. I mean, First Class was originally intended to be a loose prequel where X3 was non-canon, so there wouldn't be a need to match up the two designs. That didn't happen until Days of Future Past when we were going to see both original Beast and new Beast in the same movie and believe that they were the same person,

    Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    3- Is it me, or in Dark Phoenix Hank can switch from his human-looking form to Beast form without getting "angry"? New, refined form of his serum?
    Seem to recall he could shift when he wanted to in Days of Future Past, just didn't that much.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

  9. #9
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Kinda recall he had bigger feet in blue form, but I don't think this was carefully followed from movie to movie.
    Well, I think his feet were normal-sized in the Ape-form. I just don't remember if the Feline-form had slightly bigger feet and hands...

  10. #10
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    722

    Default

    So, summing it up:

    I have no First Class blu-ray with me at the moment to check it out.
    Can you please see if Beast's hands - in his feline form - are bigger or just human-sized? In First Class...

  11. #11
    Extraordinary Member ExodusCloak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,646

    Default

    Beasts mutation is devolution his final form is a virus or amoeba

  12. #12
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Beasts mutation is devolution his final form is a virus or amoeba
    That's an interesting thought that never crossed my mind!

  13. #13
    Extraordinary Member ExodusCloak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,646

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    That's an interesting thought that never crossed my mind!
    Yeah Bendis sucks. Instead of turning him into a gorilla he should have made him reptilian

    He went from human to primate to Sabertooth tiger to primate.

  14. #14
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Yeah Bendis sucks. Instead of turning him into a gorilla he should have made him reptilian

    He went from human to primate to Sabertooth tiger to primate.
    The First Class form was an accurate depiction of the Bendis form.

  15. #15
    Astonishing Member Phoenixx9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    4,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Beasts mutation is devolution his final form is a virus or amoeba
    Wasn't that just something Cassandra Nova said to hurt Beast after that Beak guy cracked his head open with a bat?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •