Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Retired

I believe that when the Earth-One Black Canary was retconned in 1983 to be the daughter of the original Black Canary, it was then established that the second Dinah was a mutant or a metahuman (maybe on account of the encounter with Aquarius that had killed her father and mother). But since I pretend that story never happened, I'm willing to go with Batman on this one.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I believe that when the Earth-One Black Canary was retconned in 1983 to be the daughter of the original Black Canary, it was then established that the second Dinah was a mutant or a metahuman (maybe on account of the encounter with Aquarius that had killed her father and mother). But since I pretend that story never happened, I'm willing to go with Batman on this one.
    I think one of the original BC villains took revenge on her by cursing her daughter with an uncontrollable screeching cry. She was placed in the T-Bolt dimension. When it was discovered that the original BC was dying from the same results as her husband Larry, she asked Superman to bring her to her daughter to see one last time. At that point, the idea was to switch bodies between original BC and her daughter. Superman and the JSA decided to keep this secret from the younger BC. I know, it makes no sense at all.

I know, it makes no sense at all.
    Which is what I think every time I read about it. So, it was surprising when I once read someone say that it was regarded as an example of a retcon done right.

Back on topic, I know that BC's canary cry was her only power, but are their other heroes that had particular powers fall out of favor (even if they had multiple ones) and if so, could it be for similar reasons?

I hadn't really thought about how often her power is used in the era, and now I want to determine how uncommon it was. I paid a lot of attention the character, but not the power. Also, if it varies by writer.

Also curious as to when it did start being used heavily - since I know she lost it for a while post-COIE, too.

EDIT: From a very quick skim, in JLA, Canary's power in #84 (and that may have only been the weird telepathic version) and not again until #119. Mostly Friedrich and Wein for writers then, I think. But it doesn't seem to have become a regular feature again thereafter.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 08-25-2019 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I think one of the original BC villains took revenge on her by cursing her daughter with an uncontrollable screeching cry. She was placed in the T-Bolt dimension . . .
    From Justice League of America #220 (November 1983):

Astonishing Member

Not sure, but after it was introduced, I think it was not used for a couple of years -- until Len Wein had her use it in his run. Thereafter, she used it more regularly. She mentioned a sonic whammy power in Brave & the Bold, and I had no idea what she was talkinga about. I figured it was some kind of difficult judo move. Then a few months later, she kinda used it in that JLA story -- but not in the typical destructive sense -- it was used to negate the effects of a carousel that was spewing deadly gas.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Not sure, but after it was introduced, I think it was not used for a couple of years -- until Len Wein had her use it in his run. Thereafter, she used it more regularly.
    Ah, I must have missed the Wein use.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Ah, I must have missed the Wein use.
    The Wein run on Justice League of America (#100-114 during 1972-1974) was basically when I started reading/collecting that title regularly and was filled with great stuff, like:
    * the reintroduction of the original Seven Soldiers of Victory
    * Phantom Stranger's involvement with the JLA
    * Elongated Man joining the JLA
    * Red Tornado joining the JLA
    * the introduction of the Quality Comics characters as The Freedom Fighters
    * John Stewart's first appearance with the JLA
    * the reason behind Wes Dodds going back to his original Sandman outfit (with the cape and gas mask)
    * Sandy gaining his sand/silicone powers
    I really enjoyed that run!

The Wein run on Justice League of America (#100-114 during 1972-1974) was basically when I started reading/collecting that title regularly and was filled with great stuff, like:
    I've read the issues. I meant I missed Wein's use of the Canary Cry. I just did a quick skim (looking for Canary Cry) earlier today, and didn't notice it in his stories. I was basically only pausing when I saw Dinah to see if she used it, and must have just overlooked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I wonder if they just didn't know how to use it. I always have the issue that voice shouldn't be able to be directed at a single person, and so should take out everyone near or in-path. Problematic with at team. Furthering the notion writers didn't know how to use it, I bring the early instance where her power somehow enabled Canary to pick up thoughts. Love Canary, but as power, I really don't think that much of the cry. I recall at least one other instance of her abilities behaving in a one-off fashion that wasn't used again later.
    That's common with a lot of characters' powers.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    * the reintroduction of the original Seven Soldiers of Victory
    * Phantom Stranger's involvement with the JLA
    * Elongated Man joining the JLA
    * Red Tornado joining the JLA
    * the introduction of the Quality Comics characters as The Freedom Fighters
    * John Stewart's first appearance with the JLA
    * the reason behind Wes Dodds going back to his original Sandman outfit (with the cape and gas mask)
    * Sandy gaining his sand/silicone powers
    I really enjoyed that run!

Same here! I started with issue 100! That introduced me to most of the league. I was actually already reading Teen Titans (because of Robin). This is where I learned the Speedy, Kid Flash and Wonder Girl were junior versions of adult heroes. Previously, I thought Wonder Girl was possibly Robin's sister (Boy Wonder) since they were both dressed in red and had black hair.

Wein's run was great -- and those Nick Cardy covers! I was not able to find the 3rd part of the Seven Soldiers of Victory when it came out. I was about in second grade at the time. I tried to get it through mail order in junior high, but it wasn't until I was out of college that I was finally able to find it at a convention. Have to say that the part with Zatanna as a hummingbird was kinda disappointing. Other than that, it's one of the best runs of the satellite era. The weird Bates/Maggin period that followed was a pretty big letdown. That was the beginning of the end of my DC collecting days -- until Wolfman /Perez relaunched Teen Titans.

Retired

I never think of the run between Len Wein and Steve Englehart as belonging to any one writer in particular, as there were various writers (O'Neil, Bates, Maggin, Pasko, Conway, Bridwell) none of whom stayed on the book for very long in that interregnum. I imagine Julius Schwartz tearing his hair out trying to find a writer for a sustained run. Must have been a relief when Englehart came along. My favourite JLA runs are Fox, Friedrich, Englehart and Wein.

Astonishing Member

I don't know that I ever read any of Englehart's run, but I've heard good things about it. I liked the Perez run with Conway. I think Perez brought out the best in Conway, but he did that with all writers.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I don't know that I ever read any of Englehart's run, but I've heard good things about it.
    It's excellent. If you ever get a chance to read those 10 issues (#139-146,149-150), definitely read them. How I wish DC would collect them in a trade. Great reading.

Astonishing Member

I assume they are in the second satellite era omnibus. But I wouldn't buy that just for the Englehart. I swear Bates and Maggin were high when they wrote their JLA stories. That story where the JSA gets killed so easily and then resurrected by the Spectre made no sense to me -- and I was probably 12 (or younger) when I read it!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    From Justice League of America #220 (November 1983):
    "Waaah! Me want blue-black hair like mommy! All-blue hair look stupid!"
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?