Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Nah, I still think Barry Allen needs a very classic, old-school writer. His general style is a much more obvious fit for Wally.
    I disagree. Barry needs a modern writer who could write the character and his world right. I think Fraction could be great at that.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Kate Spencer: Manhunter

First and foremost I'd put him on a Wonder Woman title, to broaden and develop a lot of her characters and concepts for a new era of Amazon excellence.

Next up, and once I get an editorial position at DC Comics , I'd request his pitch for a team title containing some of the wilder heroes and anti-heroes in the DCU that I have an idea for.

And then, I'd have him write a maxiseries with the characters of Earth 8 entering and adventuring on Prime Earth and coming into contact with the Justice League, Legion of Doom, etc. while searching for and reuniting with some of their missing Champion teammates.

Finally, I'd have him work on a title that teams up characters from Multiversity and has them travel to the various multiversal, metalversal, metaversal, etc. Earths and regions of the orrery of worlds as a sort of mystery-solving, multiversal-fixing team. Some core characters would be part of the team with others coming in and out for storyarcs based on what happens in the storylines or different skill sets are needed.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    I disagree. Barry needs a modern writer who could write the character and his world right. I think Fraction could be great at that.
    Barry has been written by writers with a more modern aesthetic since he returned and the results have been less than ideal. The character needs a more "old-school" feel than someone like Fraction could offer.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Barry has been written by writers with a more modern aesthetic since he returned and the results have been less than ideal. The character needs a more "old-school" feel than someone like Fraction could offer.
    The modern aesthetic has been fine for Barry. He has just suffered from having a few bad writers. Barry needs a writer who can take some “old-school” comic ideas and make them modern and a writer who can write Barry in a modern way. I think Fraction could do this.
    Last edited by KC; 08-26-2019 at 10:32 AM.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

I think Barry is too straight-laced for Fraction. He'd probably end up writing him more like Wally anyways.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Barry is too straight-laced for Fraction. He'd probably end up writing him more like Wally anyways.
    Yup, exactly.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Fraction is a professional writer so I think he is capable of writing more than one type of character. I think he would do fine with writing Barry.

Reduce him or write him as a decimal.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Fraction is a professional writer so I think he is capable of writing more than one type of character. I think he would do fine with writing Barry.
    I just don't think he'd be too interested in writing Barry. He's a pro, but he's at a point where he would probably only work on the properties and characters he wants to work on.

I just don't think he'd be too interested in writing Barry. He's a pro, but he's at a point where he would probably only work on the properties and characters he wants to work on.
    Unless you know Fraction personally, I don't think you can say what characters he would or would not want to write. This thread is about what characters we would like him to write.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    So, one of the good things going on at DC right now at least is the influx of new talent that I never thought I'd see working at the company. One of those names is Matt Fraction, who was one of my favorite writers back in his Marvel days, especially his run on Iron Man. Right now, he's working on a Jimmy Olsen title.
    Who does he think he is, Jack Kirby?
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Unless you know Fraction personally, I don't think you can say what characters he would or would not want to write. This thread is about what characters we would like him to write.
    Fair enough, but I'm just going off what I've already read of him by this point.

What would I do with Fraction? Let him do whatever the hell he wants for as long as he wants (or until sales crash, whichever comes first).

I'd be interested in seeing him come in and fix up some books that need some housecleaning and TLC. Characters who used to be popular but have fallen on hard times or who DC doesn't know what to do with. This is pure bias, because these are the three books I'd like to write myself if I were a DC writer, but Nightwing, Cyborg and Superman top my list for "books I want to see Fraction pitch for."

I think he could do a fantastic job with a Nightwing that dives into the character's wild and wacky non-Bat history. I think he could put a really fun, high concept spin on Cyborg that fans would respond positively to. And I think he could do some good work on Superman without throwing out all the good stuff that has preceded him, which has been a problem for a long time.

But really, I've enjoyed most of what I've read from Fraction (which hasn't been that much, honestly) so I'd just let him take just about anything he was interested in. I'd get better material from him if he's really into the project and he's a big enough name I think that I could afford to let him run on something obscure if he wanted to.
    Last edited by Ascended; 08-27-2019 at 12:47 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I thought of this while posting in another thread, but I'd give him Odd Man. I feel like Fraction could really lean into that character, make him kind of superhero psychedelic detective type that combines elements of what he did for CASANOVA, what he did for HAWKEYE, and what he's doing for JIMMY OLSEN. Just weird, twisty, fun stories that fully embrace the full bizarre nature of what the DCU can offer.