Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default What is your ideal direction for the next Superman movie?

I'm not sure if this is appropriate for its own thread (there could be another existing thread that touches this or maybe pure speculation for a movie with no word in sight of what WB wants done may not be thread-worthy) but it's been on my mind so I thought I'd try a thread about this

What is your ideal for the next Superman movie? Cavill still in the suit but a soft-reboot? Cavill still in the suit, proper sequel to MOS? Full on reboot? Something else? Do you have any talent (directors, writers, actors, etc) you want to be involved with the project?

I've been watching scenes from Superman Returns lately and I feel there are great lessons from that film the next Superman movie could incorporate into it. The scene where Superman is in space and listening to all the sound down on earth and then charges down to help someone is beautiful. I know it's a flawed movie but I kind of feel like there is gold in that movie that largely goes unappreciated and I think that gold could provide good direction for the next Superman film. I'm curious if some sort of adaptation of Superman For All Seasons would work. Something that really shows the heart of Superman and his key relationships
    Last edited by Super-Cyke; 08-25-2019 at 07:41 AM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Hard reboot would be my preferred ideal but with the success of WW and Shazam! that's not very likely at this point. I think part of the reason Cavill's threatening to walk is the fact that there's no sequel in the works so if WB wants to do it they need to sit down with him and hash this out. If they are going to do a sequel, I'd like to see the villain be Brainiac. Now that Krypton has been cancelled, he's been freed up and we can actually see what he can do. Have him actually steal Metropolis. Maybe a loose adaptation of Morrison's first Action arc. This is what I think they probably should have done back in 2013 since he's never been used on the big screen before.
    Assassinate Putin!

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I just want a good Superman movie that has heart, humor, and heroics.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Ensemble film with characters that Superman has confirmed to have inspired. Like Ray Palmer, John Henry Irons, Kimiyo Hoshi, others at Star Labs etc.

Trying to spin gold with the Daily Planet crew is a lost cause. *See Superman Returns. And waxing poetic about the idea of making a difference, while never actually making one, is DOA. *See also, Superman returns.

What the audience wants, what the fans want, is to see Supes cross swords against the Computer Tyrant Brainiac or the Demonic Space Hitler, Darkseid.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Ensemble film with characters that Superman has confirmed to have inspired. Like Ray Palmer, John Henry Irons, Kimiyo Hoshi, others at Star Labs etc.

Trying to spin gold with the Daily Planet crew is a lost cause. *See Superman Returns. And waxing poetic about the idea of making a difference, while never actually making one, is DOA. *See also, Superman returns.

What the audience wants, what the fans want, is to see Supes cross swords against the Computer Tyrant Brainiac or the Demonic Space Hitler, Darkseid.
    The fans and the audience want to see, or at least expect to see, the Daily Planet staff. Nobody is really clamoring to see Hoshi or Palmer in a Superman centric film series as anything other than cameos for future, unrelated films in the DCEU. John Henry is an exception because he's an actual Superman character.

The problems with the previous films have nothing to do with the Daily Planet staff by themselves. Just look at Jimmy's current comic series, he is arguably the craziest thing in the Superman comics and he fits right in with the larger than life stuff we expect from Superman stories.

Astonishing Member

Christ almighty, the idea that the vast majority of Superman material on the big screen has been limited to Metropolis is nothing short of embarrassing. You have so much material that takes him so many places and all you can do is stick to the same location fighting the same handful of problems. Pitiful. Do something with it or give it to someone else.

Do a Superboy (Clark Kent) and the Legion of Superheroes but withOUT the mind erasing shenanigans.
    Last edited by The World; 08-25-2019 at 08:24 AM.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    The fans and the audience want to see, or at least expect to see, the Daily Planet staff. Nobody is really clamoring to see Hoshi or Palmer in a Superman centric film series as anything other than cameos for future, unrelated films in the DCEU. John Henry is an exception because he's an actual Superman character.

The problems with the previous films have nothing to do with the Daily Planet staff by themselves. Just look at Jimmy's current comic series, he is arguably the craziest thing in the Superman comics and he fits right in with the larger than life stuff we expect from Superman stories.
    The issue you have with the DP crew is they are not "in on the joke" of Clark (their co-worker) being Superman. We the audience know, Superman the character knows, but the supporting cast have no idea. This is what SR got wrong. Just putting in Jimmy, Perry and Perry White's son, Jason. Is not going to get anyone to come out and see a movie. Adding in the office jock (Lombard), the single mother/divorcee/gossip columnist Cat Grant, and Ron Troupe won't make a difference either. Think Stranger Things season 3. Too many supporting characters, and their own sub-plots subtracting away from the main tension/story.

Supes is the attraction. It be better to build him up with a supporting cast that can actually help him and contribute to the plot.

P.S. - Adding a figure like Morgan Edge and Galaxy TV to the cast would be another matter. Edge serves Darkseid and is like J. Jonah Jameson for Superman. With a television program to criticize and flame every move Superman does. That could add something to the narrative.

P.P.S - Look at the Spider-Man movies and the Daily Bugle cast. Robbie Robinson, Glory Grant, Betty Brandt, Ned Leeds (MCU Ned is Ganke), Ben Ulrich, etc. Have all been phased out of the movies. Big cast, but none of them add to the character drama of Spidey himself. Replaced with Iron-Man, Happy, and SHIELD to help support him in the story and against the villains he's fighting. Supes needs a similar approach IMO. And that approach can be done by doing more with Star Labs.
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 08-25-2019 at 08:33 AM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

The issue you have with the DP crew is they are not "in on the joke" of Clark (their co-worker) being Superman. We the audience know, Superman the character knows, but the supporting cast have no idea. This is what SR got wrong. Just putting in Jimmy, Perry and Perry White's son, Jason. Is not going to get anyone to come out and see a movie. Adding in the office jock (Lombard), the single mother/divorcee/gossip columnist Cat Grant, and Ron Troupe won't make a difference either. Think Stranger Things season 3. Too many supporting characters, and their own sub-plots subtracting away from the main tension/story.

Supes is the attraction. It be better to build him up with a supporting cast that can actually help him and contribute to the plot.

P.S. - Adding a figure like Morgan Edge and Galaxy TV to the cast would be another matter. Edge serves Darkseid and is like J. Jonah Jameson for Superman. With a television program to criticize and flame every move Superman does. That could add something to the narrative.

P.P.S - Look at the Spider-Man movies and the Daily Bugle cast. Robbie Robinson, Glory Grant, Betty Brandt, Ned Leeds (MCU Ned is Ganke), Ben Ulrich, etc. Have all been phased out of the movies. Big cast, but none of them add to the character drama of Spidey himself. Replaced with Iron-Man, Happy, and SHIELD to help support him in the story/villains he's fighting. Supes needs a similar approach IMO. And that approach can be done by doing more with Star Labs.
    That's all great and all. But, where does clark kent the reporter fits in all this? I don't see the appeal of superman without clark.

P.P.S - Look at the Spider-Man movies and the Daily Bugle cast. Robbie Robinson, Glory Grant, Betty Brandt, Ned Leeds (MCU Ned is Ganke), Ben Ulrich, etc. Have all been phased out of the movies. Big cast, but none of them add to the character drama of Spidey himself. Replaced with Iron-Man, Happy, and SHIELD to help support him in the story and against the villains he's fighting. Supes needs a similar approach IMO. And that approach can be done by doing more with Star Labs.
    The Daily Planet staff are among the supporting cast who help him and contribute to the plot in a way the Bugle staff doesn't really for Spider-Man. There is already precedent for Lois knowing the secret even early on, and Perry is always implied to know more than he lets on. And weather or not he is in on the secret, Jimmy is friends with both Clark and Superman and gets involved with crazy stuff every other day. The problem isn't the DP characters, just that the films haven't bothered to try and tell stories with them like All Star #4. When they are even featured at all, after all the last Superman film didn't get a proper solo sequel and the DP staff got shoved out to make room for Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman's death.

They of course don't have to be in every Superman story/film, but I think you're selling them short. Just because previous films haven't had the imagination to use them, or much of anything, creatively doesn't mean future films can't take cues from comics that actually do. And if the focus is moving away from them, they could also use Supergirl, Steel or the Legion instead of bringing in unrelated guest stars. Nobody really cares about STAR labs.

Full reboot. Give me this guy:
    6450E237-CB2E-4EB7-9EAE-7B24BDE73E46.jpg

Make him Latino if you’re worried about diversity. Main villain is Metallo and General Sam Lane. The Kents are dead and Clark is working at the Daily Star trying to expose corruption in Metropolis. Jimmy Olsen is his best friend and roommate and Lois is his rival at the Daily Planet. Clark is dating Lana who moved with him to Metropolis and is working for STAR Labs. Clark is at his Golden Age power levels (keep the budget low).

Post-Credi scene is Brainiac mentally speaking to Metallo and planning to come collect the Kryptonian.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Full reboot. Give me this guy:
    6450E237-CB2E-4EB7-9EAE-7B24BDE73E46.jpg

Make him Latino if you’re worried about diversity. Main villain is Metallo and General Sam Lane. The Kents are dead and Clark is working at the Daily Star trying to expose corruption in Metropolis. Jimmy Olsen is his best friend and roommate and Lois is his rival at the Daily Planet. Clark is dating Lana who moved with him to Metropolis and is working for STAR Labs. Clark is at his Golden Age power levels (keep the budget low).

Post-Credi scene is Brainiac mentally speaking to Metallo and planning to come collect the Kryptonian.
    F***ING YES.

They'd have to gradually work the power creep in, but this is a perfect way to have a fun, light hearted Superman movie that still actually shows the character with his balls attached.

Spectacular Member

Keep Cavill, first and foremost. Second, no trunks. Third, soft reboot, bring back the Kents, both of them. Zod never got his neck snapped. No bobo fake Doomsday. Have some humor and some fun. And bring in a real Lex Luthor, Willy Wonka Lex aint cutting it.

Continue Smallville as a Movie? ....Just Being Honest
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

I think there has been a number of threads like this. But anyway, they are always fun and timely as there are no Superman films in horizon.

I would do a hard reboot. I think with good material its more likely that someone new is more likely to succeed. There is lot of stuff in the source material which can be great. One thing would be to stop so much navel gazing, and make Superman a more 'dynamic' character. If i had my eay i would write him like Paddington or Marty McFly who over course of movies don't change at all. Character development which is essential to enjoyment in films come through supporting characters. So, yes Daily Planet characters are important here.

Put in some humor, a dose of romance. So, its definitely needed that the actors cast for Lois and Supes have good chemistry.

The film shall depict the early days of Superman in Metropolis when he's fighting corrupt politicians, criminals etc. The real problem is caused by the xenophobic propaganda caused by Luthor, which causes Superman to almost quit as people of the city turn against him. The final battle is out of Birthright, where Luthor attacks using 'false alien invaders'.

So, the film takes stuff from Morrison's New-52 and Birthright. Good source material is arguably easier to turn into a good movie.

Sort of a cross between Morrison's Action run and parts of Birthright.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 08-25-2019 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    Continue Smallville as a Movie? ....Just Being Honest
    You should totally read the Smallville Season 11 comic. The first volume that I read at the very least was great.