Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Fair enough on both counts. And while I know I would love to see Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes on the big screen, my only concern would be if WB would think it's a feasible financial risk.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Fair enough on both counts. And while I know I would love to see Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes on the big screen, my only concern would be if WB would think it's a feasible financial risk.
    I don't see why not. If the CW can do decent superhero group stuff with Legends of Tomorrow and the annual crossover episodes on what I imagine is a shoestring budget (relatively speaking) and a semi-comedic show like The Orville can pull off some pretty great space shots, then a properly budgeted and planned Hollywood film should be able to stay in a worthwhile budget for what such a film is likely to make. It's really not that much different from what some Marvel films have done, specifically Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor Ragnarok. And given both the audience recognition of the Superman brand, and the novelty of seeing Superman in the future and space, there should be little real risk assuming that the film itself is good and earns good word of mouth. I can definitely see it being as safe a financial risk as any Hollywood blockbuster movie can be.

Tagline ideas for Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes:
    He's not Superman...yet!
    He'll be Superman one day.
    You've met Clark, now meet his friends.
    You only thought you knew his story.
    You know Superman, now meet the Legion.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

A Superman vs The Invisible Mafia could actually be a lot of fun.

I love the idea that Clark Kent, just being the type to see each and every individual tree before the forest, picks up the case about a rash of apartment fires around the city. Really, really highlight the idea that Superman is a household name on a global scale thus making him the most famous being on the planet doing charity events and stuff like that (awkwardly because he's still uncomfortable with it all outside of the job of being Superman itself)).

* Different cast with a Homecoming style reboot without a "year one." He's either married to do long-term dating Lois. It's very clearly established that he's fought super villains.

* We then follow much the same beats as the source of this story: secret food themed mafia organization that's be running the city right under Superman's nose, it's run by Lenoe, and Robinson Goode aka The Red Cloud is the new enforcer and beat reporter for the Daily Planet.

So, normally the newsroom stuff outside of a newsroom center focused movie or show is a little hard to sell. In trying to reach a level of admirable authenticity the screenwriters usually get too lost in the weeds with the idea, and it can sometimes feel like techno speak in a less than engaging science fiction film. So, the fix is to play with the "Spy vs Spy" quality of Clark/Superman vs Goode/Red Cloud. The act vs act fake smiling chess game should make that aspect a bit more dynamic and engaging.

Obviously this would be a great place to have Lois and Clark investigating this as a team. But, to spice it up we would totally bring in their disguises "Andy" and "Chaz." They wouldn't be Spyral like the comics because that would require a bit too much explanation, so they'd just be alter egos. And I'll just say, if I were writing or directing this thing I would put EVERY OUNCE of my being into making sure Chaz became a full blown meme. The whole couple investigation would be there to both show how great of a team Lois and Clark are, and how Superman/Clark isn't as ridged and inflexible as some people like to think.

Also, there'd be a very recognizable air of role playing kink to this laced throughout that bit of the film. Really sell the chemistry in a more unique way that lets both Lois and Clark feel as fun and flexible as they should feel.

I really liked the idea of Goode writing up the story of how Red Cloud went at it with Superman, and stalemated. With Superman established higher profile global celebrity status this sparks the "is he over the hill?" whispered gossip.

I'd add in some minor "Kite Man" esque super villains in what would essentially be cameo roles. Not too many, and nothing too big. Think something similar Scarecrow in The Dark Knight. I'd also use the Invisible Mafia's info center to more or less run a recap of some of this Superman's exploits that we've never seen. Think something similar to Tony pulling up footage of Peter stopping a bus in Civil War, but slightly more than that. The Invisible Mafia being an unseen organization that's been playing very close attention to Superman for as long as he's been around make them the perfect vehicle for building unseen past continuity from scratch.

* The ending has to be a win for both Superman and the Daily Planet, but I'd also like to keep Leone around (maybe she pins it all on Cloud?) almost like a version of the animated series' Lex (I have other plans for Lex himself, but hang him back for now).

* Post credit: we see that Leone's import-export business makes use of time travel. This sets up the Legion.

Funny things is, given Bendi's track record for his work getting adapted, some version of this has a shot.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member

I won't say anything about what I'd personally like to see in a Superman movie because it would take too much time, very few people would care and I won't see it in reality in one million years.
    However, what I realistically expect from the next Superman movie, if JJ Abrams directs or produces it as it seems likely at this point, is what I have come to expect from Abrams' previous works. That is: a lot of fan pandering elements (John Williams' theme, here you are again), some moments which will openly contradict the most divisive scenes of the previous works (I can see Superman saying "never kill" or something like that), a lot of colours, a lot of smiling Superman moments, maybe some racial diversity.

There will be some cringey details but Superman Returns and MOS were full of them (the lines in MOS about Superman being 100% American and "hot" still haunt my dream these days). At least, it will be entertaining. I doubt that it will be as relevant for the character as the Avengers movies were for Marvel heroes (not even Wonder Woman and Aquaman can be compared to those, and Superman is in an infinitely more slippery position).
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    You should totally read the Smallville Season 11 comic. The first volume that I read at the very least was great.
    I actually got it all in trades and loved it: But I want more of that Universe
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Some stuff would undoubtedly have to be cut for the sake of time and budget, and Lois' B plot (along with flashbacks) would have to act as structural breaks to what is an inherently episodic Superman story, but I really like the idea of that sort of space odyssey for Superman/Clark. It would likely be something similar to The Martian's Mark's problem/solution vignette A plot being broken up by the ever present "Save Mark" B plot.

And now that I think about it, if this were a first movie in a reboot, that one story with the alien father healing Clark and looking through his memories would work really well.
    Yoda and you have come up with a brilliant idea to combine both the aspects of Superman. Weird fantastic sci-fi with the down to earth elements of Superman.

Funnily i was thinking about Up in The Sky myself. In my opinion a young Jon, the son of Supes can be a great addition to a Superman movie. Think Finding Nemo in space.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

My idea is superman and lobo go on space trip. Kicking ass and taking names. Simple, brainless swashbuckling adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    A Superman vs The Invisible Mafia could actually be a lot of fun.

I love the idea that Clark Kent, just being the type to see each and every individual tree before the forest, picks up the case about a rash of apartment fires around the city. Really, really highlight the idea that Superman is a household name on a global scale thus making him the most famous being on the planet doing charity events and stuff like that (awkwardly because he's still uncomfortable with it all outside of the job of being Superman itself)).

* Different cast with a Homecoming style reboot without a "year one." He's either married to do long-term dating Lois. It's very clearly established that he's fought super villains.

* We then follow much the same beats as the source of this story: secret food themed mafia organization that's be running the city right under Superman's nose, it's run by Lenoe, and Robinson Goode aka The Red Cloud is the new enforcer and beat reporter for the Daily Planet.

So, normally the newsroom stuff outside of a newsroom center focused movie or show is a little hard to sell. In trying to reach a level of admirable authenticity the screenwriters usually get too lost in the weeds with the idea, and it can sometimes feel like techno speak in a less than engaging science fiction film. So, the fix is to play with the "Spy vs Spy" quality of Clark/Superman vs Goode/Red Cloud. The act vs act fake smiling chess game should make that aspect a bit more dynamic and engaging.

Obviously this would be a great place to have Lois and Clark investigating this as a team. But, to spice it up we would totally bring in their disguises "Andy" and "Chaz." They wouldn't be Spyral like the comics because that would require a bit too much explanation, so they'd just be alter egos. And I'll just say, if I were writing or directing this thing I would put EVERY OUNCE of my being into making sure Chaz became a full blown meme. The whole couple investigation would be there to both show how great of a team Lois and Clark are, and how Superman/Clark isn't as ridged and inflexible as some people like to think.

Also, there'd be a very recognizable air of role playing kink to this laced throughout that bit of the film. Really sell the chemistry in a more unique way that lets both Lois and Clark feel as fun and flexible as they should feel.

I really liked the idea of Goode writing up the story of how Red Cloud went at it with Superman, and stalemated. With Superman established higher profile global celebrity status this sparks the "is he over the hill?" whispered gossip.

I'd add in some minor "Kite Man" esque super villains in what would essentially be cameo roles. Not too many, and nothing too big. Think something similar Scarecrow in The Dark Knight. I'd also use the Invisible Mafia's info center to more or less run a recap of some of this Superman's exploits that we've never seen. Think something similar to Tony pulling up footage of Peter stopping a bus in Civil War, but slightly more than that. The Invisible Mafia being an unseen organization that's been playing very close attention to Superman for as long as he's been around make them the perfect vehicle for building unseen past continuity from scratch.

* The ending has to be a win for both Superman and the Daily Planet, but I'd also like to keep Leone around (maybe she pins it all on Cloud?) almost like a version of the animated series' Lex (I have other plans for Lex himself, but hang him back for now).

* Post credit: we see that Leone's import-export business makes use of time travel. This sets up the Legion.

Funny things is, given Bendi's track record for his work getting adapted, some version of this has a shot.
    Love this. I must admit i felt cheated when Chad and Andy part was so short in the story. Give me miniseries please!

Legion is one of my preferred choices for a Superman film on any day. If the idea is about being relevant, about a Superman film having some sort of a message, i think Geoff Johns' Superman and The Legion of Superheroes is great and needs to made right now.

Well, by next movie, I assume you mean a reboot, so...

Cut out The Daily Planet. It's really not that interesting and hell, we might actually get an opportunity to do something new with Superman.

Like seriously, honest question - who the hell actually enjoys Clark Kent the newspaper man s**t in Superman comics? It was created a way to let the story pause for a breath before jumping into the action, modern comics seem to have blown its importance way out of proportion, seemingly coinciding with the rising importance of Lois Lane too.

Come to think of it, ditch Lois and pick another one of Superman's love interests for the next movie. She's not that interesting either.
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Monk View Post

Cut out The Daily Planet. It's really not that interesting and hell, we might actually get an opportunity to do something new with Superman.

Like seriously, honest question - who the hell actually enjoys Clark Kent the newspaper man s**t in Superman comics? It was created a way to let the story pause for a breath before jumping into the action, modern comics seem to have blown its importance way out of proportion, seemingly coinciding with the rising importance of Lois Lane too.

Come to think of it, ditch Lois and pick another one of Superman's love interests for the next movie. She's not that interesting either.
    Also, might as well get rid of the superman symbol, the costume.. Etc what is the purpose of those anyway. Besides, those are stupid.give him a cool mask like batman or death stroke. They should also change the name of the character and call it something else. I mean, "super" man really!! /s

Dude, in this very era bendis, rucka.. Etc are giving us good street level stories featuring clark, daily planet, lois, jimmy.. Etc. Need i remind you that "fourth world" was first featured in a jimmy book. Daily planet staff had many wierd, sci-fi adventures.. Etc if you really want those kind of stories. Not to mention, all the noir stuff and stuff that is relevant to real world society we can do with them.

This ain't dbz. Superman ain't just another goku. A superman movie that doesn't make you question things, think of things and the status quo or inspire would be a waste considering the budget they put into these kind of tent poles. You know, man of steel had pacing problems especially during the third act because lack other normal characters like daily planet staff. The fights went on too long and wasn't spread out.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Keep the Cavill cast.

More light hearted tone at times with some humor.

More supporting cast members (Daily Planet workmates, Maggie Sawyer, Dan Turpin, Henderson, Lucy Lane, Sam Lane, Bibbo Bibbowski)

I like the idea of starting a Superman film with an encounter with a villain. Have some lower level villains like Toyman or Intergang carry out a crime and have superman swoop in and save the day/capture the villains.

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    Keep the Cavill cast.

More light hearted tone at times with some humor.

More supporting cast members (Daily Planet workmates, Maggie Sawyer, Dan Turpin, Henderson, Lucy Lane, Sam Lane, Bibbo Bibbowski)

I like the idea of starting a Superman film with an encounter with a villain. Have some lower level villains like Toyman or Intergang carry out a crime and have superman swoop in and save the day/capture the villains.
    Now, this is something i can get behind. You can never go wrong with more Bibbo . Bibbo is love. Bibbo is life.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

The best thing about the rumors of JJ Abrams being the guy WB wants to reboot Superman is that Abrams has enough clout to shut down any idiot suggestions the clearly clueless studio executives will no doubt make. If anything has been made clear over the last couple decades is that these idiots have absolutely no clue what to do with Superman. At the very least, Abrams respects and likes the character.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Monk View Post

I care about both the Daily Planet and Lois (although not even necessarily as a love interest). Seriously, Greg Rucka's Lois Lane book is without question one of the best books by either of the big two out now. And that is all about Lois and the Daily Planet.

What I can do without is Superman needlessly grimacing or threatening people with death.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.