Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Another opition: JL episode Hereafter + John Carter.
    Basically Hereafter but instead of going to Earth's future he actually go to another planet, with a red sun. Then just do John Carter from there, but maybe change two warring realms to a empire and it's slaves, then Clark helps free them. So actually do Hereafter+John Carter+Spartacus.
    Hell, put a Dejah Thoris in it too, a warrior princess that will help and fall for Superman, but he will not get involved with her because, Lois. Hereafter+John Carter+Spartacus+For thousand years.
    Last edited by Ra-El; 08-30-2019 at 08:08 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Basically Hereafter but instead of going to Earth's future he actually go to another planet, with a red sun. Then just do John Carter from there, but maybe change two warring realms to a empire and it's slaves, then Clark helps free them. So actually do Hereafter+John Carter+Spartacus.
    Hell, put a Dejah Thoris in it too, a warrior princess that will help and fall for Superman, but he will not get involved with her because, Lois. Hereafter+John Carter+Spartacus+For thousand years.
    Ha! I see what you did there!
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post

What I can do without is Superman needlessly grimacing or threatening people with death.
    Might want to avoid the Supergirl show.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Might want to avoid the Supergirl show.
    I've never seen Supergirl or Superman doing either of these things on that show (well, at least when Supes wasn't being mind controlled).

The Supergirl show is great. I was mostly referencing the tire fire that was the Zack Snyder films.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

I've never seen Supergirl or Superman doing either of these things on that show (well, at least when Supes wasn't being mind controlled).

The Supergirl show is great. I was mostly referencing the tire fire that was the Zack Snyder films.
    The Superman on Supergirl flat out threatened to incinerate Metallo. He also killed Zod like the Snyder version.

Snyder Superman never threatened to kill anyone and the only crime he's guilty of is not smiling enough.

Extraordinary Member

The Superman on Supergirl flat out threatened to incinerate Metallo. He also killed Zod like the Snyder version.
    Okay, I just looked it up. Apparently this was revealed in an offhand comment by Winn. No wonder I forgot about it.

Snyder Superman never threatened to kill anyone and the only crime he's guilty of is not smiling enough.
    I have no recollection of the Metallo threat. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I would say Cavill literally saying to Batman "If I wanted it you'd be dead already" stands out a bit more considering it was used a lot in the marketing with his glowy threatening eyes.

Last edited by phonogram12; 08-30-2019 at 09:16 AM.

Okay, I just looked it up. Apparently this was revealed in an offhand comment by Winn. No wonder I forgot about it.

I have no recollection of the Metallo threat. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I would say Cavill literally saying to Batman "If I wanted it you'd be dead already" stands out a bit more considering it was used a lot in the marketing with his glowy threatening eyes.

He was trying to defuse a situation with a hostile threat who'd already tried to kill him after Superman tried the diplomatic route. His eyes don't even glow red in the video you linked.

Extraordinary Member

He was trying to defuse a situation with a hostile threat who'd already tried to kill him after Superman tried the diplomatic route. His eyes don't even glow red in the video you linked.
    I wasn't saying his eyes were glowing red in this particular video. It was more a comment about how him looking threatening was a general theme throughout the whole movie.

Also, that's a pretty terrible way to attempt to defuse a situation. He might as well have threatened him.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 08-30-2019 at 09:27 AM.

I wasn't saying his eyes were glowing red in this particular video. It was more a comment about how him looking threatening was a general theme throughout the whole movie.
    Also, that's a pretty terrible way to attempt to defuse a situation. He might as well have threatened him.
    The only time he's actually threatening is the knightmare sequence and that's a dream Bruce is having. Everything else was Bruce projecting. This interpretation makes about as much sense at the people complaining Carol Danvers doesn't smile enough.

As I said, he tried the diplomatic route at first and it didn't work. And most versions of Superman behave the same way when they feel they've been pushed too far.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

This was from episode 1 of Season 2.

I imagine you'd be more upset about Supes, SG, MM and Alex killing the two Metallos.

If you think a Superman movie doesn't need any kind of romance, well I really disagree. A lot of women who love the character are going to be very disappointed. Superman is like the most romantic superhero ever, and Lois Lane is big part of his story always, especially in mainstream media. They just need to not put too much focus on the romance. It should be gradual. I think Superman The Movie did it right, but Superman 2 went way too fast, imo. Man of Steel did it well but I think the kiss was too soon. It should have happen in the next chapter/sequel...

I really don't see a problem with that scene. Was Superman supposed to look scared? He needs to show his enemies that he is capable of taking control of the situation. We know he never wanted to kill Batman, if he did, he would have done it already like he said. Superman can't look like a coward either.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Also, might as well get rid of the superman symbol, the costume.. Etc what is the purpose of those anyway. Besides, those are stupid.give him a cool mask like batman or death stroke. They should also change the name of the character and call it something else. I mean, "super" man really!! /s

Dude, in this very era bendis, rucka.. Etc are giving us good street level stories featuring clark, daily planet, lois, jimmy.. Etc. Need i remind you that "fourth world" was first featured in a jimmy book. Daily planet staff had many wierd, sci-fi adventures.. Etc if you really want those kind of stories. Not to mention, all the noir stuff and stuff that is relevant to real world society we can do with them.

This ain't dbz. Superman ain't just another goku. A superman movie that doesn't make you question things, think of things and the status quo or inspire would be a waste considering the budget they put into these kind of tent poles. You know, man of steel had pacing problems especially during the third act because lack other normal characters like daily planet staff. The fights went on too long and wasn't spread out.
    Not remotely the same thing. The symbol and the costume are an integral part of mainstream Superman along with Krypton and crash-landing on Earth. The Daily Planet is not. It is optional furniture just like Maxima and Almerac, Argo City and Krypto, etc. You might be more fond of some furniture than others but it still furniture that can be thrown out if it doesn't fit.

No, they aren't. Bendis is wrecking Superman hard. Jimmy Olsen's book was all about wacky space adventures and the only reason the Fourth World was introduced there is because that's what Kirby was put on. He'd have introduced it in the main Superman comic if he could. Man of Steel had many problems and not having TDP front-and-center was not one of them. If anything, what screen-time it did have was a waste. I still have not found a single reasonable explanation for why Lois Lane had to be in that movie or Perry White, they could've both been cut out without issue.

No Superman movie or comic has ever made me question a damn thing. I read Superman comics for entertaining stories not dissertations on the feasibility of a post-racial society or immigration debates or whatever. If I want those and done in a way that isn't talking down to me, I'll pick up anything OTHER than a Superman comic.
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    I watched today, for the first time, The Ten Commandments, and developted a serious crush on Anne Baxter. Anyway, maybe by the end of the movie, is revealed that the planeta where Superman was estranded, is just an outpost of a huge empire. The Empire is Almerac, and now the Empress Maxima, heavily inspired on Baxter's Nefertari, knows about Superman and is coming to Earth after him.
    So is, Hereafter+John Carter+Spartacus+For A Thousand Years+The Ten Commandments.
    Last edited by Ra-El; 08-30-2019 at 08:42 PM.

I forgot about the Winn quote too, actually, but I definitely remember the Metallo threat - I had a "wow, that's a bit of a turn out of nowhere... geez." Thankfully, when it comes to the first two episodes, there are only a few really bad outlier moments in what's otherwise a good watch. I have more problems with later episodes (because you don't have to knock Kal all the time for Kara to look good, that crap got old fast).

That's the one good thing about a TV show vs a movie: a show has a lot more time to flesh things out well and it takes a lot more bad moments to spoil the overall whole. But with movies, every bit counts: if you mess up a few major scenes/plot points, you're done.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Monk View Post
    Not remotely the same thing. The symbol and the costume are an integral part of mainstream Superman along with Krypton and crash-landing on Earth. The Daily Planet is not. It is optional furniture just like Maxima and Almerac, Argo City and Krypto, etc. You might be more fond of some furniture than others but it still furniture that can be thrown out if it doesn't fit.

No, they aren't. Bendis is wrecking Superman hard. Jimmy Olsen's book was all about wacky space adventures and the only reason the Fourth World was introduced there is because that's what Kirby was put on. He'd have introduced it in the main Superman comic if he could. Man of Steel had many problems and not having TDP front-and-center was not one of them. If anything, what screen-time it did have was a waste. I still have not found a single reasonable explanation for why Lois Lane had to be in that movie or Perry White, they could've both been cut out without issue.

No Superman movie or comic has ever made me question a damn thing. I read Superman comics for entertaining stories not dissertations on the feasibility of a post-racial society or immigration debates or whatever. If I want those and done in a way that isn't talking down to me, I'll pick up anything OTHER than a Superman comic.
    So, integral that the symbol got changed a million time.but, the support cast never did. So the cast is as important if not more.oh yeah! That must be why in the Golden age Clark didn't even find he was kryptonIan much, much later. It must also be why krypton was just way of explaining his powers in Golden age. The cast on the other hand has been important in every era. Even in the dreaded new52.
    Precisely my point, jimmy can do scifi and so can lois. There is no reason to exclude the cast. Kirby chose jimmy not superman. He must have had a reason for that.if lois lane was'nt in the movie, clark would have continued his hiding. Perry is the only reason clark gets to have a Metropolis connection.
    If superman comics hasn't made you think.then maybe you haven't read enough. Look dude, all i was saying is that movie needs substance. The cast has always helped with that. I don't want non stop punchfest or space adventures that don't mean anything.