Mighty Member

Default Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow and Golden/Silver age references...

So, this two issue story if I'm understanding this right was really a farewell to the Silver/Bronze Age Superman before John Byrnes run began am I right? I remember reading on the forum that Grant Morrisons run on Batman made a lot of modern references to Golden and Silver age Batman adventures, implying that those events happened in continuity. Did the Superman books do the same thing?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Superman's history is a lot more timey whimey than Batman's, which means that creators can slip in plenty of references to old continuity. Bendis's current approach is that everything happened, even when there is no way it could have. The idea being that Superman's life has been rewritten over and over so many times now that he remembers all of it (unless he doesn't due to whatever the latest time shenanigans happens to be going on)

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I guess. I mean it wasn't some guy calling back from 30 years later, it was in that time. So you had the Pasko Metallo, references to Elastic Lad, the inclusion of the since lost Kryptonite Man and so on. Don't remember a golden age callback in there really.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Retired

Alan Moore's Superman felt like it was paying most of its tribute to the Mort Weisinger era and less so to the Julius Schwartz era. So he was giving focus to things that had been more prevalent during Mort's time.

In Moore's Supreme, you can read it as a commentary on the different eras of Superman. I might be reading too much into this Superman pastiche, but I got the feeling he thought the Weisinger era was the apotheosis of Superman--as that epoch correlates with the time frame of King Supreme in the Supremacy, he's the Supreme who leaves Earth when the 1970s begin.

Mighty Member

That's pretty cool that there were callbacks in modern times with the Silver Age. I think it was either Jurgens or Tomasi in their most recent runs that did call backs to that period as well with Mzypitlick (sorry can't spell his name right)