Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Jack Kirby Named Disney Legend and Art Display at Disney Hollywood Studio!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

How fitting since this month he would have been 102. His birthday is August 28

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

That is so cool! I love those doors. And it's cool that they've got his drawing desk!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Nice way to really honor The King .

Last weeks episode of Young Justice: Outsiders also had a doorman named after Jack, and even kind of sounded like him. Fitting in a season so heavily based around the New Gods.

Amazing Member

I won't deny I like this, but I can't shake off a feeling of irony that they will end up building a Happyland dedicated to Kirby. (For those of you who don't know what that means - that's a reference to Forever People.)
    Last edited by Paradox_Nihil; 08-25-2019 at 01:51 PM.

Still neat having his art on the main walkway of Hollywood studios! He is even on the sign right next to walt Disney!

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Fantastic Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

I hope they keep it to more than just this one exhibit. I love seeing his art blown up and represented so vividly.

BANNED

I feel ambiguous about this, but if small kids (for whom this stuff is curated) visit and learn about Kirby like this, then I'll retreat. Stuff like this isn't a hill to die on, I think.

At the very least when the kids grow up and learn what a total absolute POS Walt Disney was, at least they'll be happy to learn that Kirby wasn't and he really did do all the things he was credited with in that exhibit.

BANNED

Happy Birthday to the late GREAT Jack KING Kirby!!!

A look at Jack Kirby's ETERNALS by his grandson, Jeremy Kirby.

https://13thdimension.com/jack-kirby...tories-ranked/

Astonishing Member

I hardly know of the legal logistics of all this stuff, but I really hope they worked with and compensated his family fairly. That man got ripped off in so many ways.

Otherwise, though, this is pretty cool.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Happy Birthday, Jack! You always knew your art would grow in popularity!

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I feel ambiguous about this, but if small kids (for whom this stuff is curated) visit and learn about Kirby like this, then I'll retreat. Stuff like this isn't a hill to die on, I think.

At the very least when the kids grow up and learn what a total absolute POS Walt Disney was, at least they'll be happy to learn that Kirby wasn't and he really did do all the things he was credited with in that exhibit.
    Walt Disney? What about Stan and Martin Goodman?

As for the Kirby exhibit, better late than never. At least Kirby’s heirs got to see their dad get his due posthumously.

Apropos of almost nothing, I wish the Eternals movie had a bit more Kirby in it.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I hardly know of the legal logistics of all this stuff, but I really hope they worked with and compensated his family fairly. That man got ripped off in so many ways.

Otherwise, though, this is pretty cool.
    Disney settled, finally. Also, Kirby is widely acknowledged as being co-creator of the Marvel Universe now, even officially by Disney and Marvel.

Kirby got his due, at last. It’s a shame he and Roz his wife didn’t get to see it. But his kids got to see this happen.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

A nice step in the right direction. Jack deserves to be celebrated by the public every bit as much as Stan does. Wish more comic book artists got their due in the public spotlight like Will Eisner and Steve Ditko.

BANNED

I'll add Bill Everett, Don Heck, John Romita Sr., Gene Colan, John Buscema, Marie Severin and Jim Steranko to getting their due in the public spotlight.