Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default What is your opinion of DC's Earth One books?

As someone who is rapidly losing interest in mainstream continuity, I was curious what everyone else's opinion is of the Earth One line. Is this something that should continue? Should they just stop making them? What do you think of the books published so far?
    Assassinate Putin!

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

They're pretty random, all things considered.

I have no interest in a JMS Superman book, Teen Titans I heard was pretty weak and Batman is pretty much Batman. That said, Green Lantern: Earth One Vol 1 was rather good as an Elseworlds type read that repurposes GL as hard sci-fi. Think Star Wars repurposed as 2001. Great, gritty art too. Wonder Woman is mostly just a standard Wonder Woman book but it is beautifully drawn by Yanick Pacquette and Morrison's writing is on-point, albeit much more straightforward than we usually expect from him.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

As with any line, there are good and not-so-good things, and not everyone will agree on which is which.

I really liked the Superman, Wonder Woman, and Green Lantern books. The latter may well be my favorite of the line. I didn't care for the Batman books, and I skipped Teen Titans.

I think they should keep producing them, but given the gaps in scheduling, I'm not sure how committed they are to the line.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

The best idea to come out of the Batman books was having Bruce be related to the Arkhams through Martha. The rest of it, aside from the art, was meh.

Otherwise the only one I like is Morrison's WW, which is far from perfect but is at least failing in an interesting way while the rest are just sort of there.

Astonishing Member

I liked TT and WW. Haven't read the others.

They’re ok but not great, and they come so sporadically that it’s hard to get invested in them.

They're okay to solid Elseworld's takes but not something that I felt had much of an impact.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I liked the Superman books. I think their Batman is probably my favorite take on the character just because he's not the "bat-god". He doesn't even have a cave! WW was decent but the "men are inferior and must be tamed" theme gets old fast. Never read the TT books but what little I saw didn't interest me. GL was the weakest one to me. Maybe because I've never been that into the character but it's hard to gauge if this is even the same universe given that it looks like an oppressive future. Where was Superman or WW to stop this? I like them because of the back to basics approach. I just wish they were a little more consistent.
    Assassinate Putin!

Overall, the line is a bit of a mixed bag for me.

The Green Lantern book is a great read. An engrossing sci-fi take on the Green Lantern idea that also looks fantastic. I would love to see more of these.

The Superman books were just meh. Forgettable reads that weren't bad but nothing stood out.

The Batman books were the least enjoyable for me, it just felt like Johns was trying way too hard and focusing on all the wrong elements of the Batman mythos causing the character to lose its charm and appeal.

The Teen Titans books were a quick fun read, but again, a forgettable take.

I only read the first Wonder Woman book, but it was typical Morrison, offering really nothing new and sounding the same notes he always hits in his stuff, and displayed the usual quirks of Morrison excess without offering anything new or of merit to offset them, which is ultimately why I never got around to checking out the second volume.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

They are decent but I could probably point out a better version somewhere.

GL was pretty ambitious so I hope they do more things like it.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I liked the Superman books. I think their Batman is probably my favorite take on the character just because he's not the "bat-god". He doesn't even have a cave! WW was decent but the "men are inferior and must be tamed" theme gets old fast. Never read the TT books but what little I saw didn't interest me. GL was the weakest one to me. Maybe because I've never been that into the character but it's hard to gauge if this is even the same universe given that it looks like an oppressive future. Where was Superman or WW to stop this? I like them because of the back to basics approach. I just wish they were a little more consistent.
    I'm pretty sure they're not actually supposed to take on the same earth, though it did seem that way in Multiversity. None of the books feel of a piece with one another.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    I'm pretty sure they're not actually supposed to take on the same earth, though it did seem that way in Multiversity. None of the books feel of a piece with one another.
    Maybe that's how people felt about DC's books back in the day .

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think Hardman's Green Lantern has been the best so far, but Johns & Frank's Batman and Morrison & Paquette's Wonder Woman have had some really cool ideas in them.

JMS's Superman was not very good from what little I read. Never checked out the Teen Titans one.

I've read them all except for Superman volume 3. Did not care for the first 2 Superman books. Green Lantern was very good. Batman, Titans, and Wonder Woman I enjoyed as well. I do know Batman is being worked on, but won't be finished till Doomsday clock is finished, who knows when that will be. Wonder Woman is a trilogy, and I believe the third book comes out in 2020. Hardman would like to do a Green Lantern sequel as well.

Loved Superman & Batman, GL was good and WW was meh. Haven't had a chance to read TT yet.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8