Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Ganthet rather effortlessly tanked a bloodlusted Kilowag blasting him with everything he had. Kilowag was generally speaking chump change to him. By comparison, here's how a similarly mind controlled Kilowag of this era was taking it to Superman in a fight that went all the way to the moon. Kilowag also terraformed and altered the orbit of a planet with Kyle Rayner. And pretty casually plucked a space craft from the event horizon of a black hole.

In a later story, a badly maimed Ganthet took on a significant fraction of the bloodlusted GLC, and despite his injuries and holding back to avoid killing anyone managed to down the lot of them, only being taken out by freaking Mogo.

He can also wave his hand and teleport people huge distance (including back to their homes for random strangers, from the earth to the moon for Kyle, or pulling John from the Earth to Oa) or do pretty wide scale transmutation, so he doesn't seem to be lacking for esoterica. Even setting aside the Spectre hyperbole he's no chump. He's got to at least have a shot here.
    Okay, so what it sounds like is that Ganthet is to Kilowag close to *wiggles hand* what Furnace Face is to Classic Strange when Furnace Face isn't getting himself nerfed. Maybe a little less-so, I don't know.

So, how does Strange stack up to Kilowog? Is he 'really far above' Kilowog.

Strange, in a fight, can actually take it to the Surfer and win. He doesn't need help messing with stuff on a planetary level; instead, he does stuff like turn back time, solo, on a planetary scale. He doesn't pluck spacecraft from black holes, he actually messes around with the black hole itself.

If Kilowog is capable of actually beating up Clark, then we're in an area where he can at least put up a fight against Classic Strange. I don't know how long he'd last, but he could put up a fight.

Against Ganthet, Kilowog doesn't just instantly fold. Clearly he's kind of hanging in there.

...this doesn't exactly match up well with Ganthet kicking around most of the Green Lantern Corps, solo, when injured. So...hm.

It's sounding like he might have the edge on Stephen in raw power, though not to the same extent that Furnace Face does when he's on his A-game. If that's the case, he'll take the first fight after a hard fight, but the second is going to be serious trouble.

But I wish we had more feats for Ganthet.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 06-01-2021 at 05:23 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Astonishing Member

I recall that Guardians have been mentally corrupted by some opponents. How is Strange on that sort of thing?

He's not bad, actually. Can control minds, zap people in the mind and soul, hit them with the almighty light of truth, etc.

Seems Guardians should be better at willpower stuff, though. Shouldn't they?
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

How would Ganthet handle the Images Of Ikkon, or however that's spelled? That Penance Stare-like spell that he used to great effect on Galactus, before Galactus fully reconciled his history as a mortal with his current existence as a fundamental aspect of reality.

That was an illusion, more than anything. In that case, the Images called up the faces of everyone Galactus has...well, consumed. What dropped Galen was less a mystical effect, and more 'crapton of guilt'. Reed even says his mind shut down to avoid going nutso.

Not saying that the Images couldn't affect Ganthet, I'm just not sure Ganthet is so full of guilt and pathos over whatever he has done in the past that it would make him go whacko. ^_^
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    That was an illusion, more than anything. In that case, the Images called up the faces of everyone Galactus has...well, consumed. What dropped Galen was less a mystical effect, and more 'crapton of guilt'. Reed even says his mind shut down to avoid going nutso.

Not saying that the Images couldn't affect Ganthet, I'm just not sure Ganthet is so full of guilt and pathos over whatever he has done in the past that it would make him go whacko. ^_^
    Certainly SOME of the Guardians probably SHOULD feel pretty guilty. Ganthet likely isnt one of them. Though he displays remorse and compassion more freely than others, his heart is generally more pure and what not then his peers. He's probably the nicest Guardian, if such a thing can even be described that way.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

I don't know how this reflects his power but isn't Ganthet part of the Quintessence with Highfather, Shazam, Zeus and The Phantom Stranger?

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Okay, so what it sounds like is that Ganthet is to Kilowag close to *wiggles hand* what Classic Strange is to Furnace Face when Furnace Face isn't getting himself nerfed. Maybe a little less-so, I don't know.

So, how does Strange stack up to Kilowog? Is he 'really far above' Kilowog.

Strange, in a fight, can actually take it to the Surfer and win. He doesn't need help messing with stuff on a planetary level; instead, he does stuff like turn back time, solo, on a planetary scale. He doesn't pluck spacecraft from black holes, he actually messes around with the black hole itself.

If Kilowog is capable of actually beating up Clark, then we're in an area where he can at least put up a fight against Classic Strange. I don't know how long he'd last, but he could put up a fight.

Against Ganthet, Kilowog doesn't just instantly fold. Clearly he's kind of hanging in there.

...this doesn't exactly match up well with Ganthet kicking around most of the Green Lantern Corps, solo, when injured. So...hm.

It's sounding like he might have the edge on Stephen in raw power, though not to the same extent that Furnace Face does when he's on his A-game. If that's the case, he'll take the first fight after a hard fight, but the second is going to be serious trouble.

But I wish we had more feats for Ganthet.
    Well, Kilowag putting up a fight has the tremendous asterisk that Ganthet had the kid gloves on, not trying to seriously hurt his mind controlled buddy. I'm reasonably sure he could have just vaporized the guy if he wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by k von doom View Post
    I don't know how this reflects his power but isn't Ganthet part of the Quintessence with Highfather, Shazam, Zeus and The Phantom Stranger?
    He is, and the presentation is that they are all equal in power but feats are what we go by.