Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Alfred's Fate from Batman #77 Changed?

According to a BC article: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/09...-at-dc-comics/

They've decided to keep Alfred spoilers:
    dead
    end of spoilers, which was supposed to be a story illusion. His sources are from the same place he heard of the Luke Fox as Batman rumor.
    Last edited by KangMiRae; 09-03-2019 at 03:02 PM.

I really didn’t think there was much buzz about it. Few here bought into it.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

he won't be dead forever but i'm definitely interested to see how Batman functions without Alfred and for who will take over his role in the comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    he won't be dead forever but i'm definitely interested to see how Batman functions without Alfred and for who will take over his role in the comic.
    He'll probably be back by the time Bruce is Batman again.

Tom King's Bat/Cat ends in December of 2020, so Fox's tenure as Batman will supposedly begin in the middle of Summer 2020 and end when Tom King's done by December, before or right at Batman #100. That's my guess. So about 6 months of no Alfred or Bruce (as Batman).

Now, the real scary thought is if Dick's amnesia and life as Ric is going to be used as the excuse for why he didn't step up to be Batman, 'cause that could mean that we're stuck with Ric until the end of 2020—a whole 'nother year!

Of course, all of my speculation can be turned upside down if DC is still sticking to its DdC continuity and lets John's work affect the DCU, since not only is Alfred alive and well, but Bruce is Batman again, and I believe Nightwing is Dick again. Then again, maybe DdC is set even further past everything DC has planned for 2020.
    Last edited by KangMiRae; 09-03-2019 at 03:01 PM.

But… that now seems to have changed. More than a few insiders were gossiping about it at recent comic convention bars. That the reaction to the storyline has been so strong, that DC Comics has decided to keep it in canon. So Bleeding Cool was right and wrong at the same time. Just the way we like it.
    what reaction are they talking about?

pretty much all that I have seen so far are people thinking that this wouldnt stick

I don’t know, this one seems like BC ultimately got it wrong. And instead of just being well we got this one wrong, its well we got it right but they changed it cause ‘reactions’.

Angry

Just a cheap publicity stunt for a run that has run its course. I'm glad most people are (or at least seem to be) seeing it for what it is.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Bruce really doesn't function without Alfred. Besides, he would starve to death.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Bruce really doesn't function without Alfred. Besides, he would starve to death.
    He did it fine his first few years
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Not like he hasn't been without Alfred before. Of course, back then, Alfred just decided to be Tim's valet instead. Because apparently, there's nothing he'd rather do. I mean, I was presuming he had funds enough to retire. Though if he does, will he leave it all to Julia? I mean, it's not like Bruce needs it. Then what happens when he's no longer dead?

Not that I'm particularly fond of Julia's existence in a universe where Alfred spent his time raising Bruce instead of her, but that's an entirely separate issue.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 09-03-2019 at 03:20 PM.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

No big loss. Once Bruce retakes Gotham he can just tap a few buttons for his clone machine and boom, a brand new Alfred to replace the older outdated model.
    Last edited by Arsenal; 09-03-2019 at 03:26 PM.

I don't really buy the idea that this big of a decision was decided so last minute (like only 1-2 weeks ago) because wouldn't that require alot of last minute re-edits and potentially big story re-adjustments in order to make that work? Like wouldn't a City Of Bane in which Alfred survives and Alfred doesn't end VERY differently, and doesn't it seem a bit late to change it up now?

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I don't really buy the idea that this big of a decision was decided so last minute (like only 1-2 weeks ago) because wouldn't that require alot of last minute re-edits and potentially big story re-adjustments in order to make that work? Like wouldn't a City Of Bane in which Alfred survives and Alfred doesn't end VERY differently, and doesn't it seem a bit late to change it up now?
    It's possible the rumors are complete BS.

Maybe they'll actually keep Alfred dead and change some things for a good 10 years.
    I mean look how long Peter and MJ didn't get back together over at Marvel its been a long time

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Maybe they'll actually keep Alfred dead and change some things for a good 10 years.
    I mean look how long Peter and MJ didn't get back together over at Marvel its been a long time
    Those are two very different things. Their marriage breaking apart didn't remove Peter Parker from the universe.