Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Donny Cates was offered Batman..........and he turned it down!!

In the recent Word Ballon podcast, Cates told the story of his meeting with Didio and Lee.

His main reason was that he wasn’t finished with Marvel.

He mentions he has a 5 year plan in his pocket.

But the most important news is that he doesn’t think Bats should have a Robin!

Mr Cates, you are dead to me! (Hehe) but seriously, dude what?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    In the recent Word Ballon podcast, Cates told the story of his meeting with Didio and Lee.

His main reason was that he wasn’t finished with Marvel.

He mentions he has a 5 year plan in his pocket.

But the most important news is that he doesn’t think Bats should have a Robin!

Mr Cates, you are dead to me! (Hehe) but seriously, dude what?
    I don't get writers who want to get rid of Robin. The persona is only one year younger than Batman, you can't just ignore it.

This feels like the second or third time in the past few months (or years) that we've found out DC's offered a major writer a chance at Batman and they turned them down. Do they have someone in place to replace King yet?

Cates feels like a Jim Starlin kind of guy (and Starlin wanted to get rid of Robin, which is how we got Jason's death). Granted, Robin has been so inconsistently a part of the Batman books lately. that it would probably wouldn't be too difficult to not do anything with him for a single run.

Quote Originally Posted by Ansa View Post
    I don't get writers who want to get rid of Robin. The persona is only one year younger than Batman, you can't just ignore it.
    Because they want to write grimdark Batman staring into the rain thinking about his dead parents as part of their Super Serious Story. Robin takes away from that because he’s a young kid in a bright costume who brings lightheartedness to Batman. Hell even Damian does that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This feels like the second or third time in the past few months (or years) that we've found out DC's offered a major writer a chance at Batman and they turned them down. Do they have someone in place to replace King yet?

Cates feels like a Jim Starlin kind of guy (and Starlin wanted to get rid of Robin, which is how we got Jason's death). Granted, Robin has been so inconsistently a part of the Batman books lately. that it would probably wouldn't be too difficult to not do anything with him for a single run.
    Wilson might be taking over. Someone will be on the book, DC isn’t going to not have Batman on there. And in the WB, Cates and Starlin actually talked and Cates mentions talking to him about Thanos and Batman.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Because they want to write grimdark Batman staring into the rain thinking about his dead parents as part of their Super Serious Story. Robin takes away from that because he’s a young kid in a bright costume who brings lightheartedness to Batman. Hell even Damian does that!

Wilson might be taking over. Someone will be on the book, DC isn’t going to not have Batman on there. And in the WB, Cates and Starlin actually talked and Cates mentions talking to him about Thanos and Batman.
    Considering what Cates has done with Eddie Brock in Venom, I'm not sure your first point necessarily holds water.

He was also asked what his favorite Batman run was and he said it was Tom King's. We have that in common.

I'm not really familiar with this guy's work and now I'm in no rush to be.

Spectacular Member TravelerInTheDark's Avatar

After reading his Inhumans book, I can't say I am all that keen to see him write more characters I care about.

If he plans on sticking to whatever he's doing right now, that is perfectly fine by me.

Would it have been as King's successor, or was this earlier?
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by TravelerInTheDark View Post
    After reading his Inhumans book, I can't say I am all that keen to see him write more characters I care about.

If he plans on sticking to whatever he's doing right now, that is perfectly fine by me.
    Cates was asked to kill the Inhumans due to the Push Failing and plans to bump the X-Men’s Prominence back up, if he didnt do it, someone else would.
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    He was also asked what his favorite Batman run was and he said it was Tom King's. We have that in common.
    Cates seems to like a lot of modern stuff (I know he's said he's a huge fan of Jason Aaron's Thor).

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    Would it have been as King's successor, or was this earlier?
    Successor to King. I wonder if they had already decided King would be off by #85 at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    As Nick Miller posted at the start of this thread - Cates is dead to me now.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

It was a smart move from Cates.

It would be a smart move for anyone to NOT be the next writer after King. Too much terrible **** to deal with, honestly.

I really can't see anyone wanting to be beholden by King's run and the immediate follower would be basically forced to do so if At&T really gave King a green light for massive changes to the status quo.

In his case, it may be because he likes the run and don't think he could do as well, but loved or hated, King's run is too polarizing for any writer to really step in just after he left the main book, especially as he'll still be stirring **** up with his Bat/Cat many (which will, hopefully, be entirely self-contained and not impact the rest of the Bat-books so I won't have to read it).

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    You think this could be why she left Wonder Woman? Batman is certainly one of the only DC books that's higher profile than WW (Superman and Justice League being the others).

Whoever takes over, it's going to be tough for them, knowing that they weren't even first choice to take over the book.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman