Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    Because it's too freakin' BIG, and a lot of the characters are repetitive...
    This, I've never been a fan of the Bat-Family concept. Optimally, Batman should have one active sidekick and maybe occasionally a partner that's it. Most of the time at least, Batman needs to be the star/focus of his book(s).
    Last edited by Celgress; 08-28-2019 at 03:33 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    This, I've never been a fan of the Bat-Family concept. Optimally, Batman should have one active sidekick and maybe occasionally a partner that's it. Most of the time at least, Batman needs to be the star/focus of his book(s).
    Totally agree. Batman obviously needs to be the star/focus, should have only ONE Robin as an active sidekick, and can team up with ONE Batgirl and/or Nightwing occasionally. To me, that's the perfect set up and balance. Anything else is too freakin' bloated and doesn't leave much if any room for Batman to be the star/focus.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Totally agree. Batman obviously needs to be the star/focus, should have only ONE Robin as an active sidekick, and can team up with ONE Batgirl and/or Nightwing occasionally. To me, that's the perfect set up and balance. Anything else is too freakin' bloated and doesn't leave much if any room for Batman to be the star/focus.
    The core Bat-Family for me would be Bruce, Dick and Babs (as either Batgirl or Oracle). Once Dick becomes Nightwing he would still appear, but be more of a general DCU character and his Bat-storylines would be less frequent. I'd only want one other Robin after him, and I think Damian would be the best choice.

I love Kate though, but she'd be off doing her own thing and not be a core family member. And the Club of Heroes would be scattered across the globe for specific stories.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Isn't that more or less what's being done already? The other characters exist but for the most part we only see Bruce work with a small handful of them in his book and even than it's not a common occurrence.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I would DREAD the backlash to a woman writing Batman on the flagship Batman book. That is probably why Priest passed as well.
    I don't think many people would bat an eye at a woman writing Batman, to be honest. I've seen Gail Simone pitched a lot, even if she'll never get the job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Look at how many folks complain about Batman because of Batfamily dynamics. It is now at a size where it is no longer beneficial to the character.
    I think most people just complain about how badly writers have been handling the Batfamily as of late.
    Because it's too freakin' BIG, and a lot of the characters are repetitive; how many Robins have there been now, all they're already hanging around at the same time, together? So basically, the Bat Family has become a huge squad full of Robins and Robin knock offs. It DEFINITELY needs to be parred down.
    They're not much of a squad when Damian and Tim are running around in their own teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Isn't that more or less what's being done already? The other characters exist but for the most part we only see Bruce work with a small handful of them in his book and even than it's not a common occurrence.
    Yeah, there's basically only one Robin and Batgirl and Batman barely interacts with them as is.

Red Hood is in Gotham more then Damian and Tim are.

Spectacular Member TravelerInTheDark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    Cates was asked to kill the Inhumans due to the Push Failing and plans to bump the X-Men’s Prominence back up, if he didnt do it, someone else would.
    That sounds like a load of hogwash. I'm pretty sure Mr. Cates has gone on record stating that Death of the Inhumans was his idea that he approached Marvel with.

It's so annoying when people constantly blame any failings of a writer on some nebulous, unsubstantiated idea of nameless corporate meddling. As if these people are held at gunpoint and told what to write and how to write it. But only if the comic is bad, of course. If it's good, then of course they are solely responsible for it suddenly.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I would DREAD the backlash to a woman writing Batman on the flagship Batman book. That is probably why Priest passed as well.

There are too many cooks in the kitchen with Batman and if it's someone entitlement and ESPECIALLY store owners don't care for=no matter how good the book might be-someone would want that writer removed. Sales be danged.
    I don’t think Priest was offered and I can’t imagine him passing if he was. Iron Man and Batman are the two characters he’s said he’d take in a heartbeat.

And after King I don’t think anyone would get too much abuse as long as they stick to the familiar status quo lol.

Sticking to the familiar status quo is boring. Alot of the most famous stories have been status quo altering! I really hope the next writer doesnt play it safe

Astonishing Member

I have loved the extended bat family, but I do think their home should be detective comics, Batman's solo book should focus on him, with his one acti e sidekick and Alfred (oh well)

I have no problem with things being streamlined or changed, the additions to the family are the products of such changes

Imo king hasn't done anything especially positive for the batman character, much the opposite, I'm sure it will come to some big pay off, the question is will it pay off the debt he's built up

I have no faith it will

Imo his run has done almost nothing positive for the batman or his mythos

Of course opinions vary

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    Sticking to the familiar status quo is boring. Alot of the most famous stories have been status quo altering! I really hope the next writer doesnt play it safe
    Whoever is up next will just be a filler writer until the real relaunch after issue 100. At least that’s my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Lol well he gets his Batman Universe book and he will totally be on someday, with Maleev and Marquez. He just wanted Supes first.
    And no matter what happens in his run I'm always gonna love him for that.

When was the last time anybody at DC chose Superman first, for anything?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

Because it's too freakin' BIG, and a lot of the characters are repetitive; how many Robins have there been now, all they're already hanging around at the same time, together? So basically, the Bat Family has become a huge squad full of Robins and Robin knock offs. It DEFINITELY needs to be parred down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Look at how many folks complain about Batman because of Batfamily dynamics. It is now at a size where it is no longer beneficial to the character.
    I still wouldn't say it needs to be completely dismantled. I mean, look how much damage the New 52 did to the Bat-family when it removed characters like Cass and Steph from the Bat-family continuity and favored only Barbara as Batgirl. The core Bat-family is not so big that it's unmanageable. The core members only number like, what, 8 people (not including Bruce): Babs, Cass, Steph, Dick, Damian, Jason, Tim, and Kate. Maybe Duke and Luke are now in that club, but even then, I wouldn't say it needs to be pared down that much.

The bigger the Bat family, the smaller each individual members piece of the pie becomes. The more they add, the more spread out focus and development becomes. Leaving us with a bunch of undercook new additions and established characters faltering too neglect or haphazard effort. In an environment where they are stepping on each other’s toes competing for stage space.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 08-30-2019 at 04:35 AM.

Most of the time at least, Batman needs to be the star/focus of his book(s).
    When, in recent history, has Batman not been the star of his own book? In fact, it's pretty standard practice these days for there not to even be a mention of Robin in an issue of "Batman." And for anyone who says Batman is best without a sidekick, Robin was added after like 4 issues of solo Batman stories back in the Golden Age.

Well, King's run has definitely pushed Catwoman more than Batman and Tynion's Detective Comics run for a long time was all about pushing the Bat-Family at the expense of making Batman look like a tool, so I'd definitely say that Batman has gotten the rough end of the stick recently.

I wonder if Cates passing over Batman has anything to do with DC supposedly planning on replacing Bruce with a black Batman in the near future? I mean, if you're not going to get the original, why even bother throwing your hat in the ring?
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan