Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Spider-Man: Gwen Stacy's Brush With White Supremacy

https://www.cbr.com/spider-man-gwen-...ite-supremacy/

Spider-Man: Gwen Stacy's Brush With White Supremacy
    by Brian Cronin – on Aug 25, 2019 in CBR Exclusives

This is a feature called "A Political World," where we spotlight 20th Century comic book stories that came out back when comic books were not political at all, unlike comic books nowadays.

Today, based on a suggestion from reader Jack E., we look at how Gwen Stacy's anger at Spider-Man led her to inadvertently become caught up with a white supremacist!

Everything really started in Amazing Spider-Man #90 (by Stan Lee, Gil Kane and John Romita), where Spider-Man is fighting with Doctor Octopus when a piece of rubble is knocked down into the street and is about to crush a little kid when Captain George Stacy heroically throws himself in front of the boy...

Continue Scrolling To Keep Reading
    Click the button below to start this article in quick view.

START NOW

And of course, right as Stacy dies, he lets Spider-Man know that that he knows Peter's secret identity!

This disturbs Gwen Stacy a lot, as you might imagine, and, like every other character in Spider-Man's life, she has decided to blame Spider-Man for the death of her father...

She hates Spider-Man so much that she goes to visit Sam Bullit, an old police colleague of George Stacy that is now running for District Attorney. He and Stacy never saw eye to eye on things and so he loves the idea of Stacy's daughter actually wanting to help get him elected because of his promise to take down Spider-Man...

Bullit parlays that into an endorsement from J. Jonah Jameson, which aggravates Robbie Robertson...

Bullit starts to rail against Spider-Man in all of his public appearances. He has some of his thugs lean on Peter to try to get information about how he gets Spider-Man's photo (they assume he knows Spider-Man). Spidey then goes to his apartment, only to find Gwen and Bullit both there!

In the next issue, Spidey pretends that he was following Gwen and he "kidnaps" her...

Iceman then steps into the scene (he happened to be nearby) and "saves" Gwen from Spider-Man. Bullit uses this to help his anti-Spider-Man campaign...

However, when Bullit goes to visit the Daily Bugle, he is shocked to find out that Jameson has found out that behind his "law and order" rhetoric are really the ramblings of a white supremacist! Robbie Robertson has been aware of Bullit for a long time and he has the receipts, everybody!

Naturally, Bullit tries to have Robbie killed to suppress the information, but Spider-Man and Iceman (after Spidey managed to convince Iceman that he was not a bad guy) save the day and Bullit is revealed as a criminal...

We're never shown how Gwen handled the fact that her hatred of Spider-Man drove her into the arms of white supremacy.
    Welp, I guess I am what you call, internet-famous.

Well that was probably worst than sleeping with Norman Osorn, Gwen

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Redem View Post
    Well that was probably worst than sleeping with Norman Osorn, Gwen
    Yep that's the real skeleton in the closet. And it's all Lee and Romita approved.

Recently during Clone Conspiracy how it ended the last we saw of CC Gwen was just her jacket (and in media if you 'don't see a body...'). Now the people that was resurrected by science/cloned (body different body but same soul according to Doctor Strange for Billy thus possible for the others) and with memories not tampered with it feels like an opportunity to go back and have Gwen rethink her life.

To see things both from her perspective from what she knew and grieving back then and then with new insights and time to rethink presently. For Gwen she can like many people think about past actions and have regrets of how one acted.

Gwen might be ill informed of who she was working with and was suffering which infuncance negatively her judgment and acting hasty. This isn't a new situation for folks to react emotionally and unwisely when in great pain and to humanely react in 'fight or flight' or the fact other people will see people in pain and instead of actually caring they see opportunity to use them.
    On Earth-65 Aunt May reacted the same way blaming Gwen which allowed Earth-65 Jameson the ammunition to have Gwen become hunted when Peter died due to how she was hurting but in time when she started to heal Aunt May became clear headed and regretted blaming Gwen.

On Earth-616 the same happening with the human reaction of 'fight or flight' and in this case it feels like 616 Gwen reacted in greif toward 'fight'. Needing somebody to fight due to her pain which in turn made her incorrectly blame Spider-man and backed (whom she might not of known as it seems the general 616 public at the time didn't on Earth-616 till the Bugle reported and Bullit men attacked showcasing proof) the bigot. Afterwards still hurt (and maybe if having a flashback showcasing Gwen discovering that Bullet was a Supremacist was shocked and made her feel guilty that she supported him causing her to dive further into depression and pain) Gwen reacted with then the other 'Flight' going to London (which proved to be a better alternative as it allowed time for Gwen to grieve properly in time, rethink a bit questioning things, and come back in a better state then she left).

Afterwards Gwen/CC Gwen rethinking her life and now due to having factual better info of everything with Peter being Spider-man (which to be honest the 'role' Peter was acting aggressively stating he was HUNTING HER and acting like a spiteful villain to protect his identity did no favors to the visuals and supporting to Gwen her distrust to him) and time to think about everything. I can see her regretting her choices and actions and vowing to be better (if she does come back that is it opens a door for such a issue just like how Mary Jane has had 'past' issues that altered things). Having past guilty expenses that she can feel guilty but also shape her actions and motivations to learn from and to be better moving to a character development towards a Gwen that can work better for this present culture and period yet do so naturally and humanly. To be flawed yet work to be better than before.

Astonishing Member

I always felt that this was exaggerated. You just don’t like Gwen.

Someone backing a political candidate shouldn't be responsible for what comes out about a candidate later, so this isn't that big a deal. Jonah also backed Bullit and he wasn't a traumatized teenager.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Someone backing a political candidate shouldn't be responsible for what comes out about a candidate later, so this isn't that big a deal.
    If you read the panels in that article, Bullitt tells Gwen that he has no tolerance for bleeding heart liberals, and for leftists. So she knew perfectly well she was siding with, what at the time was, on the furthest rightward end of the political spectrum.

Gwen in earlier issues, like in the Petrified Saga and so on, was interested in campus protests and she knew Randy Robertson. So she definitely knew what she was getting into.

Jonah also backed Bullit and he wasn't a traumatized teenager.
    Jonah condemns and rejects Bullitt when he finds out he has a history of assisting hate groups. Gwen is never shown to do this. And Gwen was in college at the time, that makes her over 18, i.e. the voting age and so legally an adult. And she goes to campus with Randy Robertson and others.

Oh God, how tiresome.

"Next up! That time Kitty Pryde called someone a n*g*er! Kitty Pryde RACIST X-man? Marvel's secret RACIST Agenda EXPOSED?!"

Also, I don't think getting on CBR is the type of internet "fame" you'd want.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelJD View Post
    Recently during Clone Conspiracy how it ended the last we saw of CC Gwen was just her jacket (and in media if you 'don't see a body...'). Now the people that was resurrected by science/cloned (body different body but same soul according to Doctor Strange for Billy thus possible for the others) and with memories not tampered with it feels like an opportunity to go back and have Gwen rethink her life.
    How about we let her stay dead?
    Last edited by KangMiRae; 08-26-2019 at 06:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    How about we let her stay dead?
    The way CC ended (annoying me with Gwen supposedly dead...agian) the odds are she did die and that is the end of it all. However the way it was shown feels like the writer (maybe unintentionally) left the door open by not showing the death on screen thus others if they so desire can used that possibility if they want as a possible path. If that is the case I'm fine with that HOWEVER there are battles the writer will undergo and thus can't be just rushed in.

I'm fine with what a writer would want to do as I never want their imagination to be stunted. However I do feel certain plans must be met should a writer want to bring back version one 616 Gwen or any 616 Gwens (or any character that people have a set thinking towards) as they will have a uphill battle due to institutionalization and the only way to combat that will have to be not just one good idea or great idea but multiple great ideas planed. Plural.

Gwen and a couple of characters for many have a set thinking towards their roles and thus has far more difficulty to achieve with as the 'status quo' shake ups will always gets people riled up. The only way to have some people accept (and some never will no matter what) is by long term quality and a stellar written and executed intro showcasing imagination yet also logic, respect to what came before, and that sometime in the long run is beginning on year one of the tales.

I personally would be fine if Gwen came back but I do have high hopes that if a writer ever dares they would have made plans and worked on the kinks for over 5 years first and developed even more grand plans in the process of it and not impulsively go foward as this will have to be setup and masterfully done. That they will have long term and short great plans that makes Gwen return worth it and and uniquely qualified for the story plans. Have her undergo character growth and interacted with developments and bonds with others.

Lastly due to mainly my own utter annoyance with it if (a) 616 Gwen returns DON'T just kill her again to preserve 'Status Quo' and go backwards. Make a return worth something long term and I just roll my eyes when a Gwen comes about only to be treated like a pawn one and done then kill such a character. The tale and the character is treat with no real weight by a writer and if a return happens it must by a level of importance and showcase by the writer he/she has plans and something grander than just one story arc. The showcase of at least equal importance like many other side cast gets by not being a red shirt for status quo or showcase how she would be 'less than' others due to the situations of her return/birth.

If she stays dead that is fine but if a writer with imagination has a series of wonderful ideas suit for 616 Gwen, was heavily worked on for a great deal of time, can first jump tough the hoops and be allowed due to quality of everything with the higher ups who approve it because they were convinced by the writer of long term quality to take the gamble and beginning heat by others then I feel they shouldn't be limited.
    If things happen then I like many others will have hopes that quality and quantity of quality will be made, certain things will get covered, high hopes for future plans, developments, and so much more and not instantly killed/death again.

But I also believe that 99.9% that 616 Gwen will never return (in my lifetime that is) as the writers and Marvel will never want to take that high long term gamble nor will have such grand ideas and even if they did nowadays getting to fully execute those plans uninterrupted is to difficult as there is always a 'major company event' that interrupts or stops a planned route or even a series. That such grand long term plans can be super hard to pull off nowadays as writers with long tern hopes and setups might start those plans only to find their series or time as writer booted after 6 issues so many nowadays might not feel it's worth making such plans to beginning with based on how writers and artists shift constantly and barely get 3 months for some. Some writers possible afraid of that impulsive blow back by 'how it must be fans' that stops them from trying and tossing what their imagination might come up with. It would be easier for writers just to go showcase a new Multiverse Earth with those plans maybe than touching 'something sacred' of 616.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    If you read the panels in that article, Bullitt tells Gwen that he has no tolerance for bleeding heart liberals, and for leftists. So she knew perfectly well she was siding with, what at the time was, on the furthest rightward end of the political spectrum.

Gwen in earlier issues, like in the Petrified Saga and so on, was interested in campus protests and she knew Randy Robertson. So she definitely knew what she was getting into.

Jonah condemns and rejects Bullitt when he finds out he has a history of assisting hate groups. Gwen is never shown to do this. And Gwen was in college at the time, that makes her over 18, i.e. the voting age and so legally an adult. And she goes to campus with Randy Robertson and others.
    Bullit is a conservative, but he seems to be more Spiro Agnew and James Buckley than George Wallace.

Jonah, as a middle-aged man whose job it is to be well-informed and who has access to tremendous information-gathering resources should be held to a higher standard when determining support for a political candidate than a 19 year old whose father just died.

Jonah changes his mind when he gets information that Gwen doesn't have access to, and it's relevant to the story that he changes his mind, as that leads to Bullit deciding to break the law which leads to his arrest at the end of the story.

Looking at Gwen's failure to address a candidate's connection to something she was never shown to be aware of is holding characters from comics in the 1970s to modern standards both in terms of what they're aware of, and in terms of what publishers will spend time on.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Bullit is a conservative, but he seems to be more Spiro Agnew and James Buckley than George Wallace.
    To someone who goes to what was established to be a very politically charged college campus, whose father was a liberal, and so on, Bullitt would still be on the extreme end.

Jonah, as a middle-aged man whose job it is to be well-informed and who has access to tremendous information-gathering resources should be held to a higher standard when determining support for a political candidate than a 19 year old whose father just died.
    Under the principle of "Everything is political", I'd say no.

no wonder ghost spider wears that white hood

The white supremacist thing was a surprise twist at the end of the story, as a skeleton in Bullitt's closet. He was trying to hide it, that was the whole point of what ultimately brought him down. So it makes zero sense that Gwen would have been aware of his racist leanings and sided with him because of them.

You know, there was also this magical time in the past when just because someone was a conservative you couldn't automatically assume a suite of other things about them, such as that they were a racist. You had to actually get to know them to see who they were.

Glad thats changed, though! Its so simple that now everyone is just a label.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Thumbs up

Yup Gwen so deserved to die for this case closed. Don't worry Peter/MJ shippers Peter is quite safe from nasty old 616 Gwen Stacy. Felicia Hardy is the one you should be worried about.
    Last edited by Celgress; 08-26-2019 at 01:01 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    no wonder ghost spider wears that white hood
    this post should be framed
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate