Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default CBR Spider-Man Forum FAQ

We had one of these on the old boards. As a result, many of the questions and answers are copied and pasted from there.

If you have any thoughts on the FAQ, feel free to post it in the Community Q and A.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Default What the hell happened to my posts?

There have been a few significant changes to the CBR forums. We're starting over and everyone has to reregister.

Publisher Jonah Weiland posted his explanation for the changes.
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=52513

Take the new rules seriously.
    http://community.comicbookresources....cement.php?a=1

Every now and then you guys may notice that some of your comments are no longer in the thread in which you made them. To make navigation a bit easier, I figured I'd have one thread where all major moves would be discussed.

Sometimes I will decide a topic that comes up in a thread (and often threatens to derail it) merits its own thread. Or I may decide that some off-topic posts belong in another thread. Or for whatever reason, I may have to delete an entire thread, and many posts on a subject.

Check out this thread, updated whenever I or ShaggyB make any significant changes.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Default Where can I get those nifty Spider-Man related avatars?

Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Default What do the various acronyms mean?

616: Earth-616 or Earth 616 is the name used to identify the primary continuity in which most Marvel Comics titles take place. It was a joke by Dave Thorpe in his Captain Britain run, because he thought it was unusual that superhero worlds were always designated with smaller numbers, such as DC's "Earth-1" and "Earth-2." Although it may also be a reference to the number of the Beast (theological scholars debate whether or not it's 616 or 666.)

AMZ or ASM generally refers to the title Amazing Spider-Man. FNSM refers to Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man. SSM usually refers to Sensational Spider-Man. MKSM refers to Marvel Knights Spider-Man. USM refers to Ultimate Spider-Man. MASM refers to Marvel Age Spider-Man or Marvel Adventures Spider-Man. MTU refers to Marvel Team Up.

OMD refers to the storyline One More Day. BND refers to Brand New Day, a period of the Spider-Man comics that lasted from Amazing Spider-Man #546-647. KLH refers to the classic storyline: Kraven's Last Hunt, while KFH can refer to a three issue story which ran in Amazing Spider-Man #565-567. NWTD refers to New Ways to Die, a six issue storyline which ran in Amazing Spider-Man #568-573.

PAD refers to writer Peter Allan David. JMD refers to writer J.M. Dematteis. JMS refers to writer J. Michael Straczynski.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Default Did Spider-Girl represent a possible future for the Spider-Man comics?

Tom Defalco's ultimately finite Spider-Girl run (and every other title set in the MC2 universe) was a spinoff of a very successful issue of What If?

While set later than titles set in the mainstream Marvel Universe, it features a world in which things diverged from comics produced in the late 1990s, allowing Tom Defalco to build on developments from his runs on Fantastic Four, Thunderstrike, Amazing Spider-Man and Green Goblin.

As such, it was never set in the same continuity as contemporary Spider-Man titles.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets