Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Is it Too Hard to Write for Nightcrawler?

Is it too challenging to include Nightcrawler in the narrative due to his powers and/or his backstory? And is that why he is often left on the sidelines despite being a popular character?

I've read many times that it's too hard to write for Nightcrawler because his of his teleportation powers. The argument is usually along the lines of "he can too easily nullify a plot line by rescuing a victim or incapacitating an enemy".

I guess by "rescue" they mean grabbing a victim and then quickly escaping. He's done it many times before.

And by "incapacitate" they mean he can 'port in, stabby stabby, and 'port out. Or deliver someone else (Wolverine) to do it for him.

Perhaps there is precedence for this argument: when he was in Excalibur, which was his heyday in my humble opinion, he was very powered down - his teleportation left him severely weakened, so he used it sparingly and relied more on his acrobatics and wit.

Do you think Nightcrawler is too challenging to write for, and if so, is this why he's rarely featured?

The teleportation bit hasn't seemed to hinder Magik's use, so I'd say that's not it. Kurt's powers make him an interesting tactical asset, really.

Bigger issue is probably personality. I feel like too many writers just see Kurt as boring since he's a generally positive, upright kinda guy.

His powers aren't the problem, if they can write all powerful telepaths than Kurt shouldn't be an issue. They probably just don't see Kurt as a leading man.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Certain characters have evolved past their roles. For example Nightcrawler was a pretty good leader for Excalibur if I remember correctly but bringing him back into to X-men fold put him and his progress back. It has happened to Storm, Colossus, Beast, Nightcrawler, Iceman, Rachel,etc they have evolved as characters but being in the main X-men team leads to writers putting them in the same old role.

The Hickman era is small breath of fresh air because they are at least new character combos on every team which should lead to new interactions and stories. People complaining about a character like Quire being around but everyone on the X-men is good friends and generally the same type of hero, You need personality clashes. You need character clashes M and Nightcrawler could be interesting,Nightcrawler and Quire could be interesting.etc

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    You need character clashes M and Nightcrawler could be interesting,
    I was thinking that, during the Academy X era, Nightcrawler, Kitty Pryde and Monet would have been the three adults best suited to the roles of religious counselors at the school for Christian, Jewish and Moslem teens (although I don't remember if Monet had even been established as being Moslem yet...). That could have been amusing, seeing the three of them meeting for an interfaith session on how to address the religious needs of students who are Hindu (Indra), Wiccan (Pixie), etc.

It could have been a neat way to get more X-characters involved in the school and it's working, past their uses as headmaster/mistress, or teachers/squad advisors, and to further explore the religious sides of Kurt (and Kitty, and Monet).

Just beyond the religion thing, Nightcrawler is more positive while M is more negative, Nightcrawler is experience while M one of younger X-men but she is supremely confident so she wouldn't be the type to listen. The reason Wolverine and Nightcrawler was so interesting because the personality clash and hero styles was interesting to see interact. We need more X-men who aren't friends and have strong personalities. Characters like Nightcrawler and Colossus suffer a little without contrast around them. Something Nihilist Xorn and Nightcrawler would just be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I was thinking that, during the Academy X era, Nightcrawler, Kitty Pryde and Monet would have been the three adults best suited to the roles of religious counselors at the school for Christian, Jewish and Moslem teens (although I don't remember if Monet had even been established as being Moslem yet...). That could have been amusing, seeing the three of them meeting for an interfaith session on how to address the religious needs of students who are Hindu (Indra), Wiccan (Pixie), etc.

It could have been a neat way to get more X-characters involved in the school and it's working, past their uses as headmaster/mistress, or teachers/squad advisors, and to further explore the religious sides of Kurt (and Kitty, and Monet).
    The word is Muslim, not Moslem.

And yeah, Dust was actually the first known Muslim hero in Marvel Comics. M also being Muslim was a retcon, it wasn't established back then. Even now, the only other ones, I think, are Ms. Marvel and her friend Red Dagger.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 08-26-2019 at 03:54 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Unglaublich!

I don't normally advocate characters moving out of their "usual" environments, but I'd love to see Kurt transition to the Avengers. Take him outside of what and who he's used to, give him to a competent writer, and he'd hopefully bloom once again.

Considering he's sort of the most morally upright of the X-Men, I think it'd be very interesting to see him on the same squad as someone like Captain America who is, theoretically, even more morally upright!

He's been wasted as an X-Man since he returned from Excalibur, in my opinion. Hell, upon that very return, his characterisation got regressed in the second issue (X-Men #80) to the point where he was so inept that he spent the whole issue badly wounded and useless!

Ship him to another team entirely, unless Hickman plans to do something worthwhile with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The word is Muslim, not Moslem.

And yeah, Dust was actually the first known Muslim hero in Marvel Comics. M also being Muslim was a retcon, it wasn't established back then. Even now, the only other ones, I think, are Ms. Marvel and her friend Red Dagger.
    Excalibur (Faiza Hussein, who carries Excalibur, the sword) is also Muslim.

I think there are already too many things called Excalibur in Marvel, it is confusing to speak.

“Moslem” is just an older spelling, still in use by some (including Muslims).

Who are these alleged writers who claim Kurt is hard to write? Or is this just message board community speculation?

I do not agree with this statement at all. I think Kurt is written mostly very in character. Of course he is not always the center of attention, as he is always part of a team.

If you look at the last few years only, yeah, then this statement could be right, but barely any X-Men were written good in Gold and Extraordinary. So that was not only a problem for Nightcrawler.

But overall, nope, he i actually always on a team and recently was the only X-man having a solo during Age of X-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post

M is not religious and definitely not a good fit to be a religious counseler

Nightcrawler is one of the characters that should thrive in a team setting. He isn't hard to write. Maybe one day there'll be another writer who cares about his character development.

Not everybody needs to be a leader, powerhouse or love interest. Nightcrawler is free from that messes and still a vital member of the X-men.
    This is why he is so perfect.