Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    The force users get new powers every movie.
    True that. Luke was suddenly using telekinesis despite Ben not showing him that in ANH. (And people complain about Rey doing some tricks without being taught. Double standard much?) Force lightning wasn't a thing until Palpatine pulled it out of his back pocket in ROTJ. And on and on the list goes.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

To be fair that double standard can go both ways. One comment I've seen in the arguments is the idea that people are just mad about Luke because he wasn't super Saiyan mode or something. However I often think that is a huge oversimplification of why people didn't like TLJ's portrayal of him.

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    To be fair that double standard can go both ways. One comment I've seen in the arguments is the idea that people are just mad about Luke because he wasn't super Saiyan mode or something. However I often think that is a huge oversimplification of why people didn't like TLJ's portrayal of him.
    Maybe? I find that unpacking dislike of TLJ Luke is not a fun task, given that some are "legitimate" while others are cloaked bigotry. However, I find that Rey gets a disproportionate amount of criticism in regards to being "too overpowered" (whatever that's supposed to mean), and I don't think it's an accident that she's also a female lead.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Maybe? I find that unpacking dislike of TLJ Luke is not a fun task, given that some are "legitimate" while others are cloaked bigotry. However, I find that Rey gets a disproportionate amount of criticism in regards to being "too overpowered" (whatever that's supposed to mean), and I don't think it's an accident that she's also a female lead.
    dude, she schools han on operating the falcon. she translates chewie for luke. i am sure you know all of that and it isnīt an accident that you point to female lead as reason for critisism
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    dude, she schools han on operating the falcon.
    I saw that more as a function of Han being old and rusty than Rey being super-great.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

dude, she schools han on operating the falcon. she translates chewie for luke. i am sure you know all of that
    The compressor was something installed after Han lost the Falcon, so he would need to be reminded of that. The only other times she's shown talking shop is when they both repeat the same process early on and when she "bypasses" the compressor (which Han is not impressed with, for what it's worth). It's literally on the books that Rey was a decent mechanic and had been studying the Falcon first-hand long before the movie (heck, in the movie itself, she recalls that she advised Unkar Plutt on a repair).

It's established that Rey can understand Wookie and that it's unclear if Luke can or can't. In any event, Rey's translation is actually for our benefit, anyways and her saying it allows her to take charge and direct the story. (I've been debunking this kind of stuff since 2015; I know the score here and can cite exacts.)

...and it isnīt an accident that you point to female lead as reason for critisism
    You're right, it's not; I've seen too much of the dark underbelly of this fandom to not be able to dismiss it and the double-standard that gets dragged out and justified under different pretexts.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    True that. Luke was suddenly using telekinesis despite Ben not showing him that in ANH. (And people complain about Rey doing some tricks without being taught. Double standard much?) Force lightning wasn't a thing until Palpatine pulled it out of his back pocket in ROTJ. And on and on the list goes.
    It's possible Luke-and also Snoke and Kylo-knew of the trick from something Luke uncovered in the 30 years since-it's been stated he was kind of a Jedi Indiana Jones for a while before he settled down to train a new generation of Jedi.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth