Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    If there's one thing I'd like to see is Rey - and Kylo - becoming the equivalent of Grey Jedi, or doing away with the Jedi altogether and creating something new. Neither of them are fully dark or light, just as no one is truly good or evil (although history has given us a few exceptions) and I would like to see them break away from the frankly rigid and unnatural demands of the Jedi code without becoming like the Sith.
    I'd also like to see a slightly less 'saintly' version of the Resistance as well.
    Oh, and I'm an unashamed Reylo fan.
    The only Gray Jedi I can think of is Jolee Bindo from KOTOR. Tho TLJ makes a case for them being possible now at least.

But Kylo Ren's killed Han Solo:nobody's gonna want to see that guy live after that.
    Maybe somebody will kill him just as he's about to convert to the light.

Don't see how he can not die in this.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Well a big part of that is, it is clear that the "good guys" are really quite alien. Annakin goes to Yoda for advice about his fear of a loved on dying, and Yoda advises him to let go of attachment and rejoice at them rejoining the living force. It's obvious that after 800 years of immersing himself in Jedi religious beliefs, that there is nothing human left in Yoda. He is utterly, utterly alien in a way that has nothing to do with his species.

So the "good guys" are more than a little creepy. They really do believe that you should feel nothing except a kind of beatific duty towards the will of the force.
    A little creepy?

They induct children into the Order not unlike a cult, from a very young age. They led an army of clone slaves into battle. And allow no one into the lives of their members that might provide a dissenting voice.

If their enemies weren't the Sith, they would be the bad guys

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Not a fan of the flip out sabre. Otherwise looks good.
    We have seen them before.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

The Dark Rey 2 lightsaber was pretty cringe. Its like trying to enact shock value, something you would see in CW writing. The overall trailer was okay. I don't know what to do with Disney star wars anymore. everything about it feels soulless and too masterminded by The Disney Corporation.

BANNED

I'm interested... I hated how Luke was treated in the last Jedi... but heck, i even got Rey and BB-8 action figures in one of my latest orders... So i feel warmer towards the squel films. I don't even make fun of Kylo anymore, like if you tied kylo ren to a sail ships pole, he would take the wind by his ears and make the ship move... NO no no i don't make that kind of jokes anymore for sure... lol I especially look forward to Palpatine btw, i hope they don't screw it up...

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    The Dark Rey 2 lightsaber was pretty cringe. Its like trying to enact shock value, something you would see in CW writing. The overall trailer was okay. I don't know what to do with Disney star wars anymore. everything about it feels soulless and too masterminded by The Disney Corporation.
    That form of saber coincidentally does come from a Filoni project, Rebels.

Edit: It's also used by Pong Krell which was also pre-Disney.
    So that's two projects it appears in before the movie and one of them was in a George Lucas led project. It's in Clone Wars and Rebels being used by Jedi Temple Guards, and also by a Jedi General.
    Last edited by SuperiorIronman; 08-29-2019 at 06:10 PM.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Yeah, trying to top lightsaber designs is very much not a Disney exclusive thing. Basically its been a thing ever since the Phantom Menace trailer spoiled Maul's two-bladed saber.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

The flip-out, double-bladed lightsaber serves no useful function. Kind of how Kylo Ren's crossguard lightsaber is more of a safety hazard than anything else, Rey's new lightsaber serves absolutely no useful function. Side-by-side, it's basically a single-bladed lightsaber with a slightly thicker width and a pointless "safety strip" in between the two blades. Flipped-out, it's a regular double-bladed lightsaber.

And holy hell, evil Rey? A bit too late for that, don't you think Disney? My only interest in this is seeing how badly JJ Abrams will f**k it up.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 08-30-2019 at 05:19 PM.
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Monk View Post
    The flip-out, double-bladed lightsaber serves no useful function. Kind of how Kylo Ren's crossguard lightsaber is more of a safety hazard than anything else, Rey's new lightsaber serves absolutely no useful function. Side-by-side, it's basically a single-bladed lightsaber with a slightly thicker width and a pointless "safety strip" in between the two blades. Flipped-out, it's a regular double-bladed lightsaber.

And holy hell, evil Rey? A bit too late for that, don't you think Disney? My only interest in this is seeing how badly JJ Abrams will f**k it up.
    The Maul saber was designed the way it was so Ray Park could properly utilize the saber prop, it didn't make it the best thing to carry. It's compact likely not to bounce around on her waste as she's moving from shot to shot. In both Legends and Disney continuity the design was already established as early as 2011 so the vitriol for this is a little late.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 08-30-2019 at 05:20 PM.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

I don't believe dark side Rey is anything more than a vision, but even if its not, why is it too late? If anything it would seem pretty much on time, as we've seen many instances of having to deal with the temptation after becoming more skilled. Luke's major temptation wasn't till the final chapter of the original trilogy too.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Empty is thy hand!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Well a big part of that is, it is clear that the "good guys" are really quite alien. Annakin goes to Yoda for advice about his fear of a loved on dying, and Yoda advises him to let go of attachment and rejoice at them rejoining the living force. It's obvious that after 800 years of immersing himself in Jedi religious beliefs, that there is nothing human left in Yoda. He is utterly, utterly alien in a way that has nothing to do with his species.

So the "good guys" are more than a little creepy. They really do believe that you should feel nothing except a kind of beatific duty towards the will of the force.
    You're mostly correct. I'm fairly certain that Lucas wasn't making the impression that alien = bad. Yoda could just as well be human and the criticism of the Jedi order would still be intact. Yoda is a practitioner of the Jedi way, not its creator.

As for the new stuff, I couldn't care less.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Monk View Post
    The flip-out, double-bladed lightsaber serves no useful function. Kind of how Kylo Ren's crossguard lightsaber is more of a safety hazard than anything else, Rey's new lightsaber serves absolutely no useful function.
    Actually, the collapsing blade makes it easier to store/carry. And using it ignited in the collapsed/folded version is probably situational. Need to burn through a door? Twice the power. The shot in the trailer is strictly "Rule of Cool", it's there because it looks badass not because it makes sense.

As for Kylo's, the crossguard isn't meant to be functional, it's meant to be intimidating. Ben Solo is form over function, he's a little boy playing at being badass. It actually makes a lot of sense that he'd go for an over the top style like that.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 08-30-2019 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Yeah, trying to top lightsaber designs is very much not a Disney exclusive thing. Basically its been a thing ever since the Phantom Menace trailer spoiled Maul's two-bladed saber.

The concept of a double-bladed saber also showed up in Dark Horses's Dark Lords of the Sith series around 95 or so.

The goofiest lightsaber thing was probably Lord Nyax, a character that was in limbo from Barbara Hambly's SW novels but then showed up in the NJO as a cyborg with a bunch of built-in lightsabers.

There apparentally was also a double-bladed saber in Michael Ardnt's draft for TFA, which would have one side be blue and the other red.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Ah yes, I always forget about the Dark Horse comics. I stuck mostly with the Bantam novels back then (I read comics back then, my Star Wars fanaticism grew right alongside my Superman one, so I don't quite know why I didn't get into the Dark Horse line; one of life's many mysteries I suppose, lol). Not surprised we saw some experimentation with lightsabers there first though.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-30-2019 at 06:33 PM.

dark side rey wonīt be a flashback/vision only.
    i bet her sabres will be used with both hands mostly. not darth maul style but rather anakin AOTC style.

the star destroyers we saw will be remote controlled and c3pio will have a part in disabeling them. my willd guesses
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.