Default El Diablo (Rafael Sandoval) II Appreciation (2019)

First appearance = El Diablo #1 (August 1989):

Underrated and sadly underused character.

Kind of went through it here. - https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post1853323
    And here - https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post1863609

I think Sandoval could have benefited from some legit cross-over promotion.
    The series and character to it's credit somewhat operated in a self-contained universe, the more real world "villains" tended to be the community itself, often warring with each other. And Rafael Sandoval City-councilman/Masked-Vigilante, trying to band them together against the real villains (drug lords and political manipulators, et...). This really gave the book and character it's own great niche setting and identity, separate from the larger and fantastic DCU.

On the other hand, that may have ultimately worked against it, making it to much of a niche-specific character and setting.
    Staples like Batman, Superman, Justice League not only didn't appear but didn't factor in, or get mentioned in the world in which he operated.

They had just one other crossover with the most obscure Greg Saunders, instead of playing him off other similar street level vigilante style characters like Green Arrow, Huntress, the Question, or the most obvious Batman.
    Any of those ^ crossovers would have helped tremendously, to legitimize him the greater DCU.
    The current regime and fandom seems to be oblivious he ever existed.

I actually wish he had eventually gotten the supernatural El Diablo legacy connection too, over the Chato Santana version.
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-26-2019 at 08:10 PM.

Incredible Member

This is the El Diablo I first encountered. I thought he was a great character and wished the series lasted longer. Cross-overs would have kept it afloat longer but El Diablo wasn't really designed to be a big super villain type fighter. A team-up with another southwest hero (Will Payton Starman) would have been nice. DC tends to focus to much on the East/West Coast and not on the rest of the country (exceptions being Chicago, Seattle and Central City).

A Hispanic politician in a border town in Texas would make a perfect character today, though some might think it would be too political. I would love to see it.

BTW, I believe, after the cancellation of the book, he appeared in the Justice League. I wasn't reading the book regularly at the time, but from what I saw, I would prefer to believe that it was not Rafael Sandoval.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    . . . BTW, I believe, after the cancellation of the book, he appeared in the Justice League. I wasn't reading the book regularly at the time, but from what I saw, I would prefer to believe that it was not Rafael Sandoval.
    I might be remembering it wrong, but I think he was just in one issue when the League was looking for new members, but he didn't join.

It was a nice, fun series. I doubt it would get much love from DC these days, though, because certain people tend to feel the late Mike Parobeck's artwork would have been too cartoony, and then there's the writer Gerard Jones . . .

Incredible Member

Didn't he become some kind of weird demon thing in Justice League during that time they had a alien zoo ship as a headquarters?

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    Didn't he become some kind of weird demon thing in Justice League during that time they had a alien zoo ship as a headquarters?
    He did. That is what I was referring to above. That was not MY Rafael Sandoval. And after a few reboots, I would that that El Diablo is gone and forgotten, leaving the series pristine and unblemished by the flawed JLA run.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))

Isnt Brimstone in a similar location ? Cause that would be a neat crossover. Just an ordinary human trying to stop a rogue elemental

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Isnt Brimstone in a similar location ? Cause that would be a neat crossover. Just an ordinary human trying to stop a rogue elemental
    That would be great, but I understand Brimstone comes from a coal mining town. Do they mine coal in Texas?
    Sandy Hausler