Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Funny thing is, while Marvel fudged the numbers, there was a genuine milestone comic released by DC Thomson (nothing to do with DC Comics, they're a Scottish newspaper company) yesterday. Beano #4000. And they really have published 4000 issues. The advantages of weekly publication! Never been renumbered either.
    Could they have taken Marvel Tales #291 have have followed it up with some series spanning from #292-#300, so that the milestone has more meaning behind it?

Or maybe a #176-#200 lead-up with Marvel Comics Presents #175?

Last edited by Electricmastro; 08-29-2019 at 12:18 PM.

So, I read the issue, and it may be my bias coloring things, but...

The through line of the comic is a story about a black mask that makes it’s wearer the equal to whomever he is struggling against, and was crafted to help the wearer stand up to and take down kings and corrupt ‘leaders’ and their bullyboys.

Several comments throughout the issue point to support and admiration and respect for those common men who are not superheroes but who stand up and fight for equality and against bigotry and unjust laws.

Did Marvel (the creative side, not the Ike-Perlmutter-is-a-rich-sack-of-dog-vomit side) just come out in support of Antifa...? Considering the origins of Captain America, it’s certainly fitting...

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Cool video Marvel posted on their YouTube channel:

I'm in love with the music used in that video, wow

My paper ran an article on Marvel #1000, and they mention Dr Strange appeared in 1952 having trouble cleaning his cloak (don’t have it yet). I thought Strange was a 1960’s character.

Just before Dr Stranges first appearance, there was the first Dr Strange villain starring in Iron Man. I thought Marvel invented the hero Dr Strange because they liked the name for Strange Tales.
    Last edited by jackolover; 08-29-2019 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    My paper ran an article on Marvel #1000, and they mention Dr Strange appeared in 1952 having trouble cleaning his cloak (don’t have it yet). I thought Strange was a 1960’s character.
    He was. The story being the 1952 story is because Strange Tales debuted that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    He was. The story being the 1952 story is because Strange Tales debuted that year.
    Okay, thanks. That makes more sense.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Cool video Marvel posted on their YouTube channel:

;Throws table;

Seriously??? We go from the OG Human Torch to Cap in 1941, completely ignoring Namor, including the fact that Namor was the first one to fight Nazis on a Marvel cover. Or the iconic and seminal creation of the Marvel shared universe with the battle between Namor and Torch. Or FF 4, where they connected the Golden Age Timely with the Silver Age Marvel? They even freaking edited him off the Avengers 4 issue, where the Marvel Universe gains Captain America, BECAUSE of Namor. WTF? There's not a single cover / screen dedicated to Namor -- but they've certainly got the Punisher covered with multiple screens, and plenty of Wolverine. No Defenders. SMH

Where's the FF? They get ONE screen. No Kirby Galactus, Kirby Inhumans (oh how the former favorites have fallen), or Kirby Anihilus, or Kirby Doom? No Byrne FF? Howard the Duck's screen is modern instead of the 70s. No Nick Fury, especially Steranko??

I'm stunned that they didn't include the Eternals, Iron Fist, Shang Chi, Black Widow, Tigra, Dazzler, Moon Knight, Scarlet Witch, Vision, or Cloak and Dagger.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    ;Throws table;

Seriously??? We go from the OG Human Torch to Cap in 1941, completely ignoring Namor, including the fact that Namor was the first one to fight Nazis on a Marvel cover. Or the iconic and seminal creation of the Marvel shared universe with the battle between Namor and Torch. Or FF 4, where they connected the Golden Age Timely with the Silver Age Marvel? They even freaking edited him off the Avengers 4 issue, where the Marvel Universe gains Captain America, BECAUSE of Namor. WTF? There's not a single cover / screen dedicated to Namor -- but they've certainly got the Punisher covered with multiple screens, and plenty of Wolverine. No Defenders. SMH

Where's the FF? They get ONE screen. No Kirby Galactus, Kirby Inhumans (oh how the former favorites have fallen), or Kirby Anihilus, or Kirby Doom? No Byrne FF? Howard the Duck's screen is modern instead of the 70s. No Nick Fury, especially Steranko??

I'm stunned that they didn't include the Eternals, Iron Fist, Shang Chi, Black Widow, Tigra, Dazzler, Moon Knight, Scarlet Witch, Vision, or Cloak and Dagger.
    Why would you include Howard the Duck over those characters? That movie was George Lucas's biggest disaster. To tell the truth, I remember buying a few issues of the comic and it wasn't all that great IMO.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Why would you include Howard the Duck over those characters? That movie was George Lucas's biggest disaster. To tell the truth, I remember buying a few issues of the comic and it wasn't all that great IMO.
    The original 70s Howard the Duck comic by Gerber and Brunner was a groundbreaker, even if it wasn't my cup of tea. The movie ... well, less said the better. I don't get why they chose the new version, though.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

BANNED

What an absolute load of garbage

Hardly a hint of FF or X-Men means this rubbish was put together before the fox deal

There wouldn’t be a marvel today with either of those teams SAVING marvel comics.

No wonder there’s a 1001 issue to try and claw back some brownie points with fox characters
    Last edited by The BaRoN; 08-30-2019 at 11:26 AM.

Ultimate Member

Loved the page with Elsa Bloodstone and Jeff.

Loved the Young Avengers page, and getting speaking lines from Eli and Tommy. (Teddy, Billy, Kate and Cassie have bounced around since the Young Avengers broke up, but Tommy and Eli have been more or less MIA, so it's nice to see them again.)

Loved seeing Adam Brashear again, and working alongside Jimmy Woo and Roberto DaCosta, so cool. (Not as much of a fan of Night Thrasher, but, whatever, it's not like I dislike him either.)

Great seeing as much of the old Agents of Atlas (particularly Jimmy Woo) as we did. Namora, Ken Hale, 'Bob, the Uranian,' etc.

Fun to see Ava and Angela, again. Nice to see them not totally forgotten.

Loved the flashback to the great Spider-Man/Wolverine crossover with 'Charlie' back in the day.

The connective tale about the black mask was intriguing. The flash forwards / hints about Korvac reborn, various versions of Loki trying to find their way 'out' of his current iteration, the revival of Apocalypse's original four Horsemen, the Thunderer, etc.

Great to see 'the Enclave' again. I love those deep cuts.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    The main Ewing story was fantastic continuity weaving, as always. I look foreward to where it goes from here.

The non-Ewing bits were, on average, pretty great too. They do a great job spotlighting the diversity of subject and tone the Marvel Universe can do as well as giving us a great reason to have some of the masters return for a bit like Simonson. Good read.
    Yeah. I saw a lot of backlash there, but quite a few of them got me choked up. I'm not saying every one of them worked, but I liked them overall. It was also cool to see so much of Marvel history together.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    The Ewing story was interesting, and I'm intrigued for what I assume will be an event he'll head in 2020.

However, some of the page choices were odd, and the lack of some really key characters like the FF, or even some of the wider Avengers, getting anything at all, was very odd.

I understand they seemed to want to push these much older characters, but to not have ANYTHING celebrating the birth of the modern Marvel era with the Fantastic Four's launch, or the original Assembling of the Avengers, was just an odd choice.
    I would have liked to have seen the original Avengers somewhere. Especially Iron Man in his all gold armor. The Fantastic Four pretty much reignited it all. Maybe next issue.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    ;Throws table;

Seriously??? We go from the OG Human Torch to Cap in 1941, completely ignoring Namor, including the fact that Namor was the first one to fight Nazis on a Marvel cover.
    Speaking of which, worth mentioning is that I think Cap was the first Marvel character to punch down on Emperor Hirohito, in response to the Pearl Harbor attack, though I could be wrong on that.