Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Default Marvel Comics 1000

What did you all think? I actually think Ewing pulled it off.

The main Ewing story was fantastic continuity weaving, as always. I look foreward to where it goes from here.

The non-Ewing bits were, on average, pretty great too. They do a great job spotlighting the diversity of subject and tone the Marvel Universe can do as well as giving us a great reason to have some of the masters return for a bit like Simonson. Good read.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Did they have a Namor story page?
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Technically no, but there was a Namora page.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Technically no, but there was a Namora page.
    Great. No diss to Namora, but I doubt DC would ever give Supergirl a page, and NOT give Superman a page.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Disappointed with the Fantastic Four situation. It was basically just Ben.
    Sue and Johnny didn't even appear.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    The main Ewing story was fantastic continuity weaving, as always. I look foreward to where it goes from here.

The non-Ewing bits were, on average, pretty great too. They do a great job spotlighting the diversity of subject and tone the Marvel Universe can do as well as giving us a great reason to have some of the masters return for a bit like Simonson. Good read.
    Yeah. I saw a lot of backlash there, but quite a few of them got me choked up. I'm not saying every one of them worked, but I liked them overall. It was also cool to see so much of Marvel history together.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    What did you all think? I actually think Ewing pulled it off.
    what is this one-shot supposed to be about? a history of the marvel universe?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    There is one page for each year Marvel's been around plus 2020. The pages are not necessarily set the year they represent, but feature characters from a milestone that year- IE, 1961 has an interview with the Thing. Al Ewing writes a longish (Maybe twenty pages?) story that forms the skeleton of the issue. It concerns the Scientist Guild from Marvel Comics #1-who were there when the first Human Torch was activated- and a new macguffin called the Eternity Mask that is revealed to have been passed down throughout Marvel characters for centuries. It's not really a history in the same way Waid's History of the MU is, but it does concern a secret history.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Does anyone else feel a bit cheated that there was no digital code to redeem? I know they don't do it with TPB's but this is sort of a hybrid. Really just a large magazine style.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Well, of course Star Wars (which isn't even part of the Marvel U) is more important to Marvel's 80th ANNIVERSARY than Spider-Woman. They freaking didn't even give the Fantastic Four a page.
    Yet Doom makes 3 appearances. Not that I'm complaining. Reed does appear along with JMS on the What Do You Regret page towards the end.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I'd accept that as canonical fact. JMS did write the page.
    I think this was one that kind of made me blink to see he contributed to this, along with Chris Claremont. I thought Claremont doesn't write anything for Marvel these days and JMS had moved on especially after very public disagreement about the whole Mephisto/Mary Jane stuff. I also was surprised to see the Heinberg/Cheung page for Young Avengers.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-29-2019 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    There is one page for each year Marvel's been around plus 2020. The pages are not necessarily set the year they represent, but feature characters from a milestone that year- IE, 1961 has an interview with the Thing. Al Ewing writes a longish (Maybe twenty pages?) story that forms the skeleton of the issue. It concerns the Scientist Guild from Marvel Comics #1-who were there when the first Human Torch was activated- and a new macguffin called the Eternity Mask that is revealed to have been passed down throughout Marvel characters for centuries. It's not really a history in the same way Waid's History of the MU is, but it does concern a secret history.
    But it was also sold as an anniversary celebration issue, which it was not. Too many real milestones left out and some utter head scratching inclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Does anyone else feel a bit cheated that there was no digital code to redeem? I know they don't do it with TPB's but this is sort of a hybrid. Really just a large magazine style.
    Yes. Very much so.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Yet Doom makes 3 appearances. Not that I'm complaining. Reed does appear along with JMS on the What Do You Regret page towards the end.

I think this was one that kind of made me blink to see he contributed to this, along with Chris Claremont. I thought Claremont doesn't write anything for Marvel these days and JMS had moved on especially after very public disagreement about the whole Mephisto/Mary Jane stuff. I also was surprised to see the Heinberg/Cheung page for Young Avengers.
    IIRC, Claremont is still under exclusive contract to Marvel. But they got a lot of these big names, because it was supposed to be an anniversary book, and because it is only one page. Not a huge commitment for anyone.

If I had to guess, the non-Ewing writers probably had a lot of leeway and personal choice over what they got to do for their page.