Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    ;Throws table;

Seriously??? We go from the OG Human Torch to Cap in 1941, completely ignoring Namor, including the fact that Namor was the first one to fight Nazis on a Marvel cover. Or the iconic and seminal creation of the Marvel shared universe with the battle between Namor and Torch. Or FF 4, where they connected the Golden Age Timely with the Silver Age Marvel? They even freaking edited him off the Avengers 4 issue, where the Marvel Universe gains Captain America, BECAUSE of Namor. WTF? There's not a single cover / screen dedicated to Namor -- but they've certainly got the Punisher covered with multiple screens, and plenty of Wolverine. No Defenders. SMH

Where's the FF? They get ONE screen. No Kirby Galactus, Kirby Inhumans (oh how the former favorites have fallen), or Kirby Anihilus, or Kirby Doom? No Byrne FF? Howard the Duck's screen is modern instead of the 70s. No Nick Fury, especially Steranko??

I'm stunned that they didn't include the Eternals, Iron Fist, Shang Chi, Black Widow, Tigra, Dazzler, Moon Knight, Scarlet Witch, Vision, or Cloak and Dagger.
    12 seconds in, you can see Namor with the rest of the All-Winners Squad (that's what the Invaders were called in the Golden Age). He's also in a crowd shot at 61 seconds in (not sure what that's from, but the next scene is the original Secret Wars), and another 98 seconds in (all the major heroes outside the destroyed Avengers Mansion in Disassembled - Moon Knight and Nick Fury are in this crowd shot too). Also Vision IS in the video, right at the end - a shot of him kissing Virginia from Tom King's 2015 series.

The deletion from the Avengers #4 cover was nothing personal - they also erased the Avengers logo.

While Wanda has no focus shots, they did include House of M, which heavily involves her.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 08-30-2019 at 04:21 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Speaking of which, worth mentioning is that I think Cap was the first Marvel character to punch down on Emperor Hirohito, in response to the Pearl Harbor attack, though I could be wrong on that.
    That's not really a depiction of Hirohito that Marvel would want people to remember them for...

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    That's not really a depiction of Hirohito that Marvel would want people to remember them for...
    I imagine Marvel wasn't really thinking about that back in the day when it came to fighting against the Axis villains.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Loved the page with Elsa Bloodstone and Jeff.

Loved the Young Avengers page, and getting speaking lines from Eli and Tommy. (Teddy, Billy, Kate and Cassie have bounced around since the Young Avengers broke up, but Tommy and Eli have been more or less MIA, so it's nice to see them again.)

Loved seeing Adam Brashear again, and working alongside Jimmy Woo and Roberto DaCosta, so cool. (Not as much of a fan of Night Thrasher, but, whatever, it's not like I dislike him either.)

Fun to see Ava and Angela, again. Nice to see them not totally forgotten.
    You pretty much picked out my fav pages exactly.

Now we know that Elsa Bloodstone is showing up in Thompson's Deadpool, along with Jeff the Land-Shark, it's clear Kelly is bringing in some characters she's fond of writing.

I need a Young Avengers revival book ASAP. Love having the bad back together. Bring in Robbie Reyes, RJ Boyle (now going by Nomad) Viv Vision and/or Anya Corazon as some new blood and I think I'd die on the spot. I'm bummed Cassie has seemingly dropped the Stinger costume and codename for the moment. Very very happy to see Eli back among his peers, though I've no idea what this means for Rayshaun Lucas.

Blue Marvel is super underrated and he deserves to be apart of an ongoing title. Really cool seeing him work with Night Thrasher, Jimmy Woo & Sunspot. Thank you Ewing.

And yeah it's very nice to see the White Tigers in action!

A Jim Steranko OG Nick Fury page would have been sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Thor13 View Post
    You pretty much picked out my fav pages exactly.

Now we know that Elsa Bloodstone is showing up in Thompson's Deadpool, along with Jeff the Land-Shark, it's clear Kelly is bringing in some characters she's fond of writing.

I need a Young Avengers revival book ASAP. Love having the bad back together. Bring in Robbie Reyes, RJ Boyle (now going by Nomad) Viv Vision and/or Anya Corazon as some new blood and I think I'd die on the spot. I'm bummed Cassie has seemingly dropped the Stinger costume and codename for the moment. Very very happy to see Eli back among his peers, though I've no idea what this means for Rayshaun Lucas.

Blue Marvel is super underrated and he deserves to be apart of an ongoing title. Really cool seeing him work with Night Thrasher, Jimmy Woo & Sunspot. Thank you Ewing.

And yeah it's very nice to see the White Tigers in action!
    Robbie's on the main Avengers, which is the reason he never appeared in Champions. He definitely wouldn't be on a new Young Avengers team. I definitely think Anya would fit in though. Viv's future depends on what they do with the teens. If the teams end up merged, she's a shoo-in, as a like for like replacement for Jonas.

RJ Boyle? Ah, you mean the guy from Winter Soldier's last solo, right? Have you read Future Foundation? There's a girl in that book called Rebecca, who has been hinted to be Rikki Barnes - aka Nomad, aka Heroes Reborn Bucky. Would the Nomad name be shared?

Cassie's long term codename going forward will likely follow whatever the MCU does.

Marvel Rising will secure Rayshaun's short term future. They could just end up sharing the Patriot name. Sam Wilson's other sidekick Falcon kept his codename when Sam stopped being Cap, so that name is shared too.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 08-31-2019 at 05:21 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

It was by far means not perfect but I enjoyed reading a bunch of cute heartwarming stories. Worth the 10 dollars IMO

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    It was by far means not perfect but I enjoyed reading a bunch of cute heartwarming stories. Worth the 10 dollars IMO
    This is pretty much my feeling on the book. This wide variety of talents and subjects are something I have a weakness for. And many of the pages did a great job. Others were uninspiring, but when presenting so many pages, it's understandable that not all of them are going to fit a single taste.

I must confess that Ewing's Mask pages did not get much of my interest. But at least that story relies on many aspects of Marvel history.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Robbie's on the main Avengers, which is the reason he never appeared in Champions. He definitely wouldn't be on a new Young Avengers team. I definitely think Anya would fit in though. Viv's future depends on what they do with the teens. If the teams end up merged, she's a shoo-in, as a like for like replacement for Jonas.

RJ Boyle? Ah, you mean the guy from Winter Soldier's last solo, right? Have you read Future Foundation? There's a girl in that book called Rebecca, who has been hinted to be Rikki Barnes - aka Nomad, aka Heroes Reborn Bucky. Would the Nomad name be shared?

Cassie's long term codename going forward will likely follow whatever the MCU does.

Marvel Rising will secure Rayshaun's short term future. They could just end up sharing the Patriot name. Sam Wilson's other sidekick Falcon kept his codename when Sam stopped being Cap, so that name is shared too.
    They should rebrand the Champions as the Young Avengers and have the not so Young Avengers be the New Avengers
    Young Avengers:
    RJ Boyle
    Rayshaun
    Viv
    Vee
    Locust
    Hummingbird
    Locust
    Wasp
    Snowguard
    Nova
    Bombshell
    Water Snake
    Cloud-9
    Falcon
    Honey Badger

New Avengers:
    Eli
    Wiccan
    Hulkling
    Speed
    America
    Noh-Varr
    Kate
    Cassie
    Alloy
    Fuse
    Power Man
    Namorita
    Speedball
    Justice
    Rikki Barnes
    Anya

Have the New Avengers be mentors to new Young Avengers and have crossovers. Also somewhere down the line throw in Ian Rogers, Ellie Rogers, Jet Black, Sylvie Lushton, Thunderstrike, Pei, Star (from Captain Marvel), Sebastian Druid, Lyra, Death Locket, Skaar, Troll, Luna, Matt Plunder, Inferno, Iso

Astonishing Member

Finally read my copy of Marvel Comics#1000.
    Great story.Looking forward to read Marvel Comics#1001 for sure.
    I got the She Hulk 80´s cover.But there was lots of other covers that i thought were cool as well.
    The main story by Al Ewing was quite intriguing.And the one page stories were awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    The original 70s Howard the Duck comic by Gerber and Brunner was a groundbreaker, even if it wasn't my cup of tea. The movie ... well, less said the better. I don't get why they chose the new version, though.
    Mayerik started it all and Brunner continued the greatness, but Gene Colan's rendition of Howard the Duck will always be the definitive version (IMHO).

I feel like by the end they were really stretching for things to acknowledge. There were so many things not acknowledge that could have been acknowledged.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Did anyone pick up #1001? I was pretty disappointed as I'd hoped there would be more with the Masked Raider. Sure, there were some fun pages, but it felt like a money grab after how great #1000 was.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    Did anyone pick up #1001? I was pretty disappointed as I'd hoped there would be more with the Masked Raider. Sure, there were some fun pages, but it felt like a money grab after how great #1000 was.
    I read it. Very disappointing and a complete waste of money, I felt.

It was nice to see death's head, sleepwalker, new universe, power pack, tigra (what a strange choice for her) and the new warriors in it. Sad we didn't get a star comics page. (we needed a planet terry, wally the wizard campy cameo)

Also blonde phantom is skinny and young again. (nice nod to the 80s she-hulk comic and I agree with her. We do need to see the golden age female heroes like sun girl again in stories)

Well, of course Star Wars (which isn't even part of the Marvel U) is more important to Marvel's 80th ANNIVERSARY than Spider-Woman. They freaking didn't even give the Fantastic Four a page.
    Didn't star wars and conan save marvel from dying in the 70s? That's a big reason to include them!

The first two issues sold well for Marvel. And then the movie came out, and boy howdy…with Star Wars mania suddenly sweeping the entire world, sales went crazy, hitting over a million copies a month, or more than four times the amount their top book, Amazing Spider-Man, had been selling. The sudden financial windfall couldn't have come at a better time for Marvel, which was on the verge of financial ruin. "The success of the Star Wars comics was a significant factor in Marvel's survival," former editor-in-Chief Jim Shooter said on his blog. "Roy Thomas saved Marvel."

Read More: https://www.looper.com/6694/star-war..._campaign=clip
    https://www.looper.com/6694/star-war...marvel-comics/

Why would you include Howard the Duck over those characters? That movie was George Lucas's biggest disaster. To tell the truth, I remember buying a few issues of the comic and it wasn't all that great IMO.
    Bad or not it was marvels first big screen movie not counting the captain America serial.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 10-04-2019 at 04:24 PM.