All-New Member

Default Reading Comics in a foreign language - consulting a dictionary

When reading comics in a foreign language (here: spanish), I often have to consult a dictionary.
    I would like to store the results/notes of my inquiries so that when I reread the comic months or years later,
    I don't have to use the dictionary again but can lookup my previous notes.
    It would be useful if the notes could be connected to the corresponding page.
    There are lots of comic book reader programs or apps.
    Are there any which provide a feature for this problem ?

Which system are you on (Android/Windows/Mac/iOS)?
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

All-New Member

mainly Android (Tablet), secondary: Windows.

To clarify my previous post: for every comics-page I would like to store translations of words I didn´t understand
    and therefore looked up in a dictionary.

Sorry, can't help you with those platforms.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by DonGato View Post
    When reading comics in a foreign language (here: spanish), I often have to consult a dictionary.
    I would like to store the results/notes of my inquiries so that when I reread the comic months or years later,
    I don't have to use the dictionary again but can lookup my previous notes.
    It would be useful if the notes could be connected to the corresponding page.
    There are lots of comic book reader programs or apps.
    Are there any which provide a feature for this problem ?
    Well it's not easy, but it can be done.

First, how do you read your comics ?
    Do you download them in .cbr or .pdf or directly on an app ?

If it's directly on an app, there is not much that can be done.

Otherwise, there are 2 solutions:

Solution 1.

You can use a pdf/cbr reader that allows you to add anotations such as Icecream Ebook Reader.
    But the anotations will only be viewable on the specific app and as long as you don't remove the file from the app.

Solution 2.

You directly edit the files:

If it's a .pdf, you need a .pdf editor to modify the file such as Acrobat, Illustrator, ... (not many free ones exist).

And if it's a .cbr:
    * A .cbr is only a rar archive with comic book files inside.
    * So you'll need to uncompress the .cbr with WinRar
    * Then you'll need to edit each files with the proper tool depending on their format
    * And if you'd like you can compress it back to .rar with WinRar and then change it's extension to .cbr

If the comic book files are classic images (jpg, bmp, png, tga, ...), you can use any photo/image editor such as Photoshop, Gimp or Paint.
    If the comic book files are vector images (svg, ...) you need to use a vector tool sur as Illustrator, Inkscape, iDraw or CorelDraw.

I don't know if any image or vector editor exist for mobile or tablet, but I'm sure there are some.

Have fun
    Last edited by jb681131; 08-29-2019 at 02:36 PM.

To add to this, this should be such a simple addition to a comic reading software. All required would be a simple database with a text field (with the actual notes), a reference to the actual comic, page, and coordinates the note is associated with. Even a flat text file could easily handle that.

All-New Member

The comics I have are in .cbr format.
    Thank you @jb681131 for the detailed description on how to modify .cbr.
    But this is all very tedious and what I am actually looking for is something easier, something like @kjn proposed.
    There are so many apps and programs that handle .cbr files and none that has a feature for making notes ?

Quote Originally Posted by DonGato View Post
    The comics I have are in .cbr format.
    Thank you @jb681131 for the detailed description on how to modify .cbr.
    But this is all very tedious and what I am actually looking for is something easier, something like @kjn proposed.
    There are so many apps and programs that handle .cbr files and none that has a feature for making notes ?
    Yes, Like I sayd, Icecream Ebook Reader allows it.

All-New Member

Thank you @jb681131 for pointing out the "Icecream Ebook Reader" again.

I found this in: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/6-deskt...ing-home-work/
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The app also comes with a library feature, extensive search features, translation tools, and a way to annotate ebooks with your own thoughts and musings.

It supports EPUB, MOBI, FB2, PDF, CBR, CBZ, and TXT.

Extra features, such as custom library categories, metadata editing, and the ability to copy text are only available in the $19.95 Pro version. "
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not sure:
    Would the free version be sufficient ? ( "a way to annotate ebooks with your own thoughts and musings.")
    or would I need the Pro Version ? ("custom library categories, metadata editing, and the ability to copy text") ?

My guess is that Icecream reader has functions for annotations to PDFs and possibly epub or mobi, since those formats (especially PDF) has functions for making annotations. You could probably take a look, but I'm not sure it will do what you want.

But it's such a perfect extra function that a comic book reader could use, so I'm surprised no-one has picked it up yet.