BANNED

Default Spider-Man One-Shots in Marvel Comics #1000 SPOILERS

Marvel Comics #1000 came out and it has a lot of Spidey stuff.

My favorite is Chris Lord and Phil Miller's 1962 bit which is really hilarious and wonderful. A perfect example of how to do a one-page comic right. It's also something that works in the sense of "probably not canon but why not?" kind of thing.

Gerry Conway's "Because of Her" in 1973 feels off to me. The art by Greg Land is under control, and I find it interesting that this scene doesn't mention Spider-Man or feature him, so it's interesting in that regard. But I just don't buy Conway's underwriting of the best scene in that comic.

Brian Meltzer's 1984 one-shot is great. It does what Slott aimed at in #801 and does it one page, the art by Julian Totino Tedesco is brilliant.

Christopher Priest in 1987 self-promotes Spider-Man V. Wolverine #1. So if you liked/disliked that comic for its fixation on Wolverine mocking Peter, you will like/dislike this one too.

Donny Cates' 1994 (or 1995) writes "The Route" which is quite morbid, and kind of nonsensical. But well executed.

J. Scott Campbell's 2010 "The MJ Memoires" is pretty hilarious and self-deprecating.

2015 Dan Slott's self-congratulatory one-shot celebrating Dying Wish is lame as expected.

2018 has JMS apologizing for Sins' Past is basically a one-panel gag and that's it.

So read it for Lord-Miller, Meltzer-Tedesco, JSC.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Brian Meltzer's 1984 one-shot is great. It does what Slott aimed at in #801 and does it one page, the art by Julian Totino Tedesco is brilliant.
    Perfect

The Larsen short made me laugh out loud
    We need better comics