Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Whats with all the articles / think pieces about how problematic this film is? It seems like people are excited for this because it's a crime drama that is also about a superhero villain, but it's being framed as political and controversial. I'm not seeing that anywhere except from the news outlets. Is there some group that's claiming this or using it as propaganda that I'm not seeing? Is it just internet controversy?

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    It's a score based on reviews and as for DC and MCU on RT the irony is WB is the one who owns a piece of RT.
    RT has strong ties to fandango, many people on fandango have strong ties to disney. Reason it was easy to shut down captain marvel's audience score. Brie was getting herself into trouble, Disney had to fight for her and part of that was to manipulate the movie's RT website

RT is not the main problem as they just gather the reviews, it is the critics that are the problem. critics put their reviews on their website , EW,The root, time. RT just posts their reviews on their own website.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    IMDB is the worst one. Anyone can do those reviews even if they never saw the film!

The best one is cinemascore as it is only people who are coming out the showings.

https://www.cinemascore.com/
    I didn't know about that one, but a site that places "Angel Has Fallen" above "Inception" is even worse than IMDB.

I normally use https://www.filmaffinity.com/ but even that one has flaws, the best indicator comes from what they call your "movie soulmates".

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Haven't seen any reviews saying the movie is bad because the char is white. Fantasies...
    Lol but it fits a narrative better if it is. Now alot of the bad reviews are based on the movie Glorifying Jokes character and implications of that on people. Punisher got the same **** from Critics because of the timing of all of it.

With this movie I have a feeling it doesnt leave a good taste in your mouth. It probaly ends cynical and bleak(words I see used in some of the bad reviews) and some people dont like movies like that. Some people dont like a movie that leaves you feeling uncomfortable

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Lol but it fits a narrative better if it is. Now alot of the bad reviews are based on the movie Glorifying Jokes character and implications of that on people. Punisher got the same **** from Critics because of the timing of all of it.

With this movie I have a feeling it doesnt leave a good taste in your mouth. It probaly ends cynical and bleak(words I see used in some of the bad reviews) and some people dont like movies like that. Some people dont like a movie that leaves you feeling uncomfortable
    Yeah the criticisms seem to be based on just that.Possibly glorifying a character like this and his motivations.

BANNED

“Ultimately, it’s entertaining and polarizing”

Yeah that review just hates the movie.

It is amazing how hard people are defending a movie they haven't seen. They don't know how much they will like the movie. I have defend Captian Marvel against trolls but it was under the defense of watch the movie before tearing apart. And the same thing applies here watch the movie before defending something so positively. How much of negative reviews are right how much of positive review wrong and visa versa find out for yourself before going hard for a movie. But some people have clearly made up their minds to like a movie before it comes out while they sit here and calling the media bias towards a thing. We call that irony

Ultimate Member

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

The movie does sound like its carried by a "tour de force" performance from Phoenix but the rest sounds like what you'll expect.

Honestly, it sounds...interesting. It's just basically what I expected to be honest. I'm still waiting for some of my favorite reviewers reviews before I decide to do go see it in the theater.

Astonishing Member Global Honored's Avatar

Stay on topic and discuss the film itself or in this case trailer of film itself

is anyone else not really excited about this movie? i don't know if i'm experiencing burn out or not. but i just can't get excited for this knowing that it doesn't tie into the DCU's overall (and really awful) shared universe plan. this seems so unessential now.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    It is amazing how hard people are defending a movie they haven't seen. They don't know how much they will like the movie. I have defend Captian Marvel against trolls but it was under the defense of watch the movie before tearing apart. And the same thing applies here watch the movie before defending something so positively. How much of negative reviews are right how much of positive review wrong and visa versa find out for yourself before going hard for a movie. But some people have clearly made up their minds to like a movie before it comes out while they sit here and calling the media bias towards a thing. We call that irony
    It is kinda weird. Reading this thread, I frankly thought the movie had already came out. The amount of props this movie is getting from some posters made me think people have already seen it.

That said, based on the trailer it certainly LOOKS like viable oscar bait. I'm assuming it's going to be a good movie as far as performance and writing goes... though I by no means have made up my mind on the matter. A good trailer has definately fooled me before.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    is anyone else not really excited about this movie? i don't know if i'm experiencing burn out or not. but i just can't get excited for this knowing that it doesn't tie into the DCU's overall (and really awful) shared universe plan. this seems so unessential now.
    No, I feel the same. I'm sure it will be good, given who's in it and the films it obviously draws inspiration from, but I really don't care? I'm not a huge fan of those types of films and can wait to watch this for free. With no other draw, there's no reason i feel like paying to see this in theaters. I still think it will do fairly well financially, though.
    Last edited by 80sbaby; 09-13-2019 at 08:32 AM.

As I've said in other threads, I DO think this will be a good movie. I just can't get excited about it because I'm pretty convinced I'm going to walk out of the threater feeling worse than I did walking into it. I can't help but think I'm going to have to de-toxify myself after watching it. But I still think it'll be pretty good. Does that any sense at all

I get to see it and review it in ~11 days.

Like I said earlier, a friend at Venice told me this movie is like an old-school crime movie with psychedelic overtones. It plays with open homages to Scorsese but in new ways.

And another friend there said it it was an overacted hot garbage mess of a plot that said nothing but Phoenix overacted to the point it was a masterclass in acting.

And the reviews so far seem to be split that way, too.

It sounds universally that Phoenix nailed it but the plot is what is dividing people.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

is anyone else not really excited about this movie?.
    No. After the comic year of 2019, I think the genre needs this film.

i don't know if i'm experiencing burn out or not. but i just can't get excited for this knowing that it doesn't tie into the DCU's overall (and really awful) shared universe plan. this seems so unessential now
    The DCU already has a Joker from Sucide Squad played by Jared Leto.

DC is just sticking more to a traditional comic universe where they have many stand alone realities or parallel universe of the same characters. Earth 1, Earth 2, Earth 3. Marvel has one too. Earth 616, Earth 1610, Earth 811, Earth 295. So I think a veteran comic book fan regardless of if you like Marvel or DC more will be aware of what and where joker stands in a comic universe.