Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 345 of 431
  1. #331
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    There is also a scene right out of the comic book mini-series spoilers:
    The Dark Night Returns where Joker kills people while being interviewed at a talk show.
    end of spoilers

    Rotten Tomatoes has finally given Joker the Certified Fresh rating.
    I had to stop using rotten tomatoes as much as I used to because obviously they provide favoritism to Disney films. At first it wasn't as obvious but after endgame and star wars latest film, its blatant that those scores can't be as trusted as they used to. Is it because of Disney's power probably but still doesn't change the fact that critics are beefing up Disney films to not anger the juggernaut and trying to fool moviegoers.

    Any film with as many obvious plotholes that endgame had should not have a critic (not audience) score over 80. Star Wars the last jedi, enough said.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 10-02-2019 at 08:18 AM.

  2. #332
    Invincible Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    28,596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    I had to stop using rotten tomatoes as much as I used to because obviously they provide favoritism to Disney films. At first it wasn't as obvious but after endgame and star wars latest film, its blatant that those scores can't be as trusted as they used to. Is it because of Disney's power probably but still doesn't change the fact that critics are beefing up Disney films to not anger the juggernaut and trying to fool moviegoers.
    There are PLENTY of Disney movies which get a poor critical reception (See A Wrinkle in Time). They just don't happen to be MCU Disney movies.

  3. #333
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    I had to stop using rotten tomatoes as much as I used to because obviously they provide favoritism to Disney films. At first it wasn't as obvious but after endgame and star wars latest film, its blatant that those scores can't be as trusted as they used to. Is it because of Disney's power probably but still doesn't change the fact that critics are beefing up Disney films to not anger the juggernaut and trying to fool moviegoers.

    Any film with as many obvious plotholes that endgame had should not have a critic (not audience) score over 80. Star Wars the last jedi, enough said.
    All you're basically saying is they're showing favoritism because they gave high scores to stuff you didn't like, and that's not how it works.
    Rotten Tomatoes is owned by WB FFS...

    Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    The director's constant talking out of his anus is already turning me off from this movie.
    Agreed.
    I was already skeptical but he definitely ain't encouraging me to spend my money on it.

  4. #334
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bloxer View Post
    All you're basically saying is they're showing favoritism because they gave high scores to stuff you didn't like, and that's not how it works.
    Rotten Tomatoes is owned by WB FFS...



    Agreed.
    I was already skeptical but he definitely ain't encouraging me to spend my money on it.
    First, I am aware that RT is owned by WB and I never stated that I didn't like anything so don't try to put words in my mouth. Second, what I pointed out is that critics (not audience) are giving Disney owned properties overall higher scores, which is a fact. The general audience liked endgame, no issues with that it was a fun film to watch, but the general audience are not professional critics who are very much aware on the basic aspects that a structured story should have in order to get as much critical acclaim as endgame received. Pointing out that critics consistently overlook issues with Disney properties that they call out with other companies films is the issue. Anyone who can't see what critics are doing with RT is delusional.

  5. #335
    Death becomes you Osiris-Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    6,711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bloxer View Post
    All you're basically saying is they're showing favoritism because they gave high scores to stuff you didn't like, and that's not how it works.
    Rotten Tomatoes is owned by WB FFS...
    .
    Actually Comcast's Fandango now owns Rotten Tomatoes. Warner Bros. just has a minority interest, a 30% shareholder.

  6. #336
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Actually Comcast's Fandango now owns Rotten Tomatoes. Warner Bros. just has a minority interest, a 30% shareholder.
    Learned something new. I thought WB had majority stake.

  7. #337
    Mighty Member Beaddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    I had to stop using rotten tomatoes as much as I used to because obviously they provide favoritism to Disney films. At first it wasn't as obvious but after endgame and star wars latest film, its blatant that those scores can't be as trusted as they used to. Is it because of Disney's power probably but still doesn't change the fact that critics are beefing up Disney films to not anger the juggernaut and trying to fool moviegoers.

    Any film with as many obvious plotholes that endgame had should not have a critic (not audience) score over 80. Star Wars the last jedi, enough said.
    I won't worry about the rt score, its what in the movie that matters. the content and film making choices. don't take any of the disney films to heart, most of their movies are just derivative but fun and critics do admit that. Joker seem to be beyond that, this was part of the reason the backlash started because Joker dared to be different.

  8. #338
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    First, I am aware that RT is owned by WB and I never stated that I didn't like anything so don't try to put words in my mouth. Second, what I pointed out is that critics (not audience) are giving Disney owned properties overall higher scores, which is a fact. The general audience liked endgame, no issues with that it was a fun film to watch, but the general audience are not professional critics who are very much aware on the basic aspects that a structured story should have in order to get as much critical acclaim as endgame received. Pointing out that critics consistently overlook issues with Disney properties that they call out with other companies films is the issue. Anyone who can't see what critics are doing with RT is delusional.
    If that's your excuse then why do films like Dumbo, Alladin, Lion King, the Nutcracker all have RT scores that go from the 30s to 50s?
    If Disney is getting favoritism then why are these films exempt?

  9. #339
    Mighty Member Beaddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bloxer View Post
    If that's your excuse then why do films like Dumbo, Alladin, Lion King, the Nutcracker all have RT scores that go from the 30s to 50s?
    If Disney is getting favoritism then why are these films exempt?
    Its MCU and Star Wars that are getting favoritism. Disney has nothing to loose from Dumbo, Alladin, Lion King, the Nutcracker getting bad reviews because they are just reharshes of classics. there is a lot to loose if star wars and marvel gets bad reviews.

    At the end of it all not many will care what Joker's rt score is because of all the faux negative reviews that focused on real life violence.

  10. #340
    Invincible Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    28,596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Its MCU and Star Wars that are getting favoritism. Disney has nothing to loose from Dumbo, Alladin, Lion King, the Nutcracker getting bad reviews because they are just reharshes of classics. there is a lot to loose if star wars and marvel gets bad reviews.

    At the end of it all not many will care what Joker's rt score is because of all the faux negative reviews that focused on real life violence.
    I think it's pretty darn debatable that Disney's Star Wars is getting any favoritism. I've seen plenty negative opinions about it.

    In fact, I think you can make the argument that Rogue One was the only one that was really well received.

  11. #341
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,883

    Default

    Having seen the movie, and without giving any spoilers, I can safely say that concerns about this film being 'incel propaganda' or whatever are bullsh#t! At least, from any reasonable standpoint. Then again, we live in the age of outrage culture and hyper-politicization, not 'reason', so...

    Interestingly, there are a couple of scenes in the film which give you the sense that Todd Phillips kinda anticipated the real-life controversies around the film and scripted his response to that within the narrative itself.

    All I'll say is, I think Joker is a serious contender for Best Picture at the next Academy Awards, and I sincerely hope that Joaquin Phoenix becomes the second actor to win an Oscar for portraying this brilliant character...

  12. #342
    Relic Seeker Pinsir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Ravnica
    Posts
    3,932

    Default

    The issue with RT is that its system rewards mediocrity. Simply 'liking' a movie is not a good enough metric. Unless you have a specific reason to hate a movie (like with what we're seeing with the Joker) you're generally going to like it. Liking a film does mean the film is great, or memorable or even well made.

    I stopped using RT years ago because as a consumer I can't trust them. They have movies with scores 80% and or higher that I consider mediocre or bad. I don't think its a coincidence that studios prefer RT over something like Metacritic because you almost never get a score over 80 on Metacritic where as its very easy to get an 80% or higher on RT.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 10-02-2019 at 12:37 PM.
    Want to read Wonder Woman stories, but don't know where to start? Check out my top 10 lists for Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age and Modern Age Wonder Woman tales!

  13. #343
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think it's pretty darn debatable that Disney's Star Wars is getting any favoritism. I've seen plenty negative opinions about it.

    In fact, I think you can make the argument that Rogue One was the only one that was really well received.
    Star Wars did get favoritism with RT with a critic score of 91% . The audience score did show 44% but that's pretty rare these days for the rt audience score to be that much lower than the critics.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 10-02-2019 at 12:55 PM.

  14. #344
    King of Wakanda Midvillian1322's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    8,094

    Default

    Here we go again. The critics are bought and payed for by Disney. But only when its helpful to peoples crack pot beliefs. When Disney movies get torn apart by critics it's because those movies dont matter or because dinsey has to let one drown now and then to avoid suspicion. It's insane how people make up these conspiracies to explain why other people love things that they dont and vice versa.

  15. #345
    Relic Seeker Pinsir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Ravnica
    Posts
    3,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Here we go again. The critics are bought and payed for by Disney. But only when its helpful to peoples crack pot beliefs. When Disney movies get torn apart by critics it's because those movies dont matter or because dinsey has to let one drown now and then to avoid suspicion. It's insane how people make up these conspiracies to explain why other people love things that they dont and vice versa.
    No one here said Disney bought off critics. Please don't strawman us.
    Want to read Wonder Woman stories, but don't know where to start? Check out my top 10 lists for Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age and Modern Age Wonder Woman tales!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •