Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    I'm guessing this is a rhetorical question. But ya know movies about mass murderers can still be art but i'd say it's like the lowest bar set possible. Nothing daring or high brow about it.
    No I'm being serious why does a villan in a book movie tv show game etc have to face real consequences? As for the other that's your opinion and you can have it but I disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Joker in particular faced real consequences. where was he in TDKR? Dead, imprisoned, apprehended. I can't spoil this film but it look as if I was right. the movies does follow a killing joke kind of narrative.
    Even if he gets away at the end does it really matter that much? Maybe it's just me but I'd like to see the joker win in he's own movie.

Joker in particular faced real consequences. where was he in TDKR? Dead, imprisoned, apprehended. I can't spoil this film but it look as if I was right. the movies does follow a killing joke kind of narrative.
    Saying this a bunch of times isn't going to somehow make it true.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Saying this a bunch of times isn't going to somehow make it true.
    it does now, I am reading some of the reviews who are talking about that.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Even if he gets away at the end does it really matter that much? Maybe it's just me but I'd like to see the joker win in he's own movie.
    I personally don't like to see evil fully triumphs over good but no way is it true that joker does not escape any consequences. Batman would have killed him many times but Batman has a killing code policy.

it does now, I am reading some of the reviews who are talking about that.
    Reviewers who have probably never actually read Batman: The Killing Joke.

Never mind that the post above this one makes it look like you may not have ever laid eyes on the final page.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Reviewers who have probably never actually read Batman: The Killing Joke.

Never mind that the post above this one makes it look like you may not have ever laid eyes on the final page.
    Er, have you?

Astonishing Member

Just watched the film. A gritty love letter to 1970s cinema (complete with that era Warner's logo.) The only thing that could have sealed the deal is if Phillip's filmed it on Eastman 16mm stock. A great character study. It is also unnerving because we don't know what is real and what is just a delusion conjured up by Arthur. So if you think the film is going one way, it pulls a total 180 on you.

It won't be for everyone. Heck, some movie goers in my session were perplexed because they expected a Joker film with Batman in it. Apart from being set in Gotham, Arkham, and the Wayne's with Alfred, there isn't overwhelming shackles to comic book lore. This film works as both a comic book movie, but if you removed those elements it also works.

And yes spoilers:
    we get another cinematic depiction of the Wayne's being murdered. Victims of a society that has reached boiling point and is tipped over the edge by Arthur's actions.
    end of spoilers some are going to be filthy on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    Er, have you?
    Cover to Cover.

Certainly well enough to know that a certain someone may very well have dealt with some pretty serious consequences on that final page.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Movies about mass murderers facing no real consequences are the only way DC can get Oscar buzz. Not really a good look. Is Joker really daring to be different?Seems like the same villain-centric stuff they've been pushing for 20 something yrs now.
    DC has been making movies about villain protagonists who evade justice for the past 20 years?

Astonishing Member

I personally don't like to see evil fully triumphs over good but no way is it true that joker does not escape any consequences. Batman would have killed him many times but Batman has a killing code policy.
    Because that line is what differentiates him from his foes. Bruce is as screwed up as they are. So his "codes" help keep him grounded in a sense.

The Killing Joke can literally be taken both ways. Yes, Moore intended for the ending to be Batman finally dealing with the Joker once and for all. But the ambiguity means fans can have their cake and eat it. Art is subjective. So if someone chooses the original intention by Moore? Great. If not, that is also great.
    Last edited by Somecrazyaussie; 10-03-2019 at 01:26 AM.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Jeremy Jahns had a glowing review of it and while I am usually not one ot care about critics views, his and my tastes seem to line up quite similarly based on his other reviews of movies i have seen, but I dunno...I just can't bring myself to want to go to the theater to see this.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Its MCU and Star Wars that are getting favoritism. Disney has nothing to loose from Dumbo, Alladin, Lion King, the Nutcracker getting bad reviews because they are just reharshes of classics. there is a lot to loose if star wars and marvel gets bad reviews.
    That doesn't make any sense. It still costs tons of money to make those movies and it seems to be an embarrassing blow to Disney that their remakes are huge hits and misses.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

This goddamn thread...

People who claim to not like something, but can't stop talking about said thing and are so clearly bothered by its existence that they resort to conspiracy theories.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I hated Ghostbusters 2016 and many other films that got really good Rotten Tomatoes scores but I don't blame Rotten Tomatoes it collects data from critics and critics are doing their jobs. This whole Internet vs RT and Critics is just sad and weird 25 years ago the internet would had been calling for Siskel and Eberts heads or more appropriately thumbs if this mentality existed at the birth of the Net.
    I think its stranger when people behave as if RT is some sort of national institution and is beyond reproach. We have tons of measurements to rate a county's success (GDP, GDP per capita, HDI, etc) and each of them have their own strengths and weaknesses, yet for movies people really only focus on one. Any sort of metric is going to have flaws and weaknesses.

One reason people are beginning to turn against RT isn't entirely because people are upset with the score, its because people use RT as an objective standard for films and attempt to use it to squash dissenting opinions with it. Fans of the Last Jedi use the RT score to dismiss critics of the film, those who dislike BvS continue to use RT to not only disparaged the film, but its fan base as well. RT apologists keep insisting that its the critics of RT that don't understand how it works, but there is no group that spreads greater disinformation about the site than its greatest supporters.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut