Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like, after the movie got such positive reviews from an elite group of critics, that put a target on its back and a bunch of other critics got it in their heads to take the movie down. Either because it doesn't go along with their politics; or because they don't think comic book movies deserve that kind of praise; or because they wanted to prove something to those elites.

If that's the case, then those guys are no different than trolls--but they don't get called trolls because they have the seal of approval from Rotten Tomatoes.
    Or they just didn't like it?

I tend to think the answer with the least amount of inferred nefarious possible reasons is the best.

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like, after the movie got such positive reviews from an elite group of critics, that put a target on its back and a bunch of other critics got it in their heads to take the movie down. Either because it doesn't go along with their politics; or because they don't think comic book movies deserve that kind of praise; or because they wanted to prove something to those elites.

If that's the case, then those guys are no different than trolls--but they don't get called trolls because they have the seal of approval from Rotten Tomatoes.
    It’s sitting at 43% with top critics. Who are these “elite” critics?

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I bring up RT with you because you either treat your opinion as fact and I use Awards, RT, Cinemascore, Metacritic, Social Media, and Box Office because they are true facts and numbers some are based off opinions but are the statistics.
    Opinions are facts though and they are no less factual than any of the metrics you cited. Yeah, RT scores are a statistic, of various opinions cobbled together.

There isn't a single metric you cited that actually involves nuance. Exactly why is a movie good or bad? Do these aggregates tell you? No, they don't, they're just numbers. Reading an actual reviewer is far more informative than any of those metrics, which is what I did.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

It's so ridiculous that the critic score on RT (last I checked) is at 69% while the audience score is at 91%. The Tomatometer has become useless.
    Critics and audiences have their own agendas. Batwoman is 75% and 23%. It's possible Joker was audience review bombed up as much as Batwoman was reviewed bombed down.
    You can't really trust either one. Just read the individual reviews that seem unbiased and use those instead of looking at numbers to judge a movie or TV show.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Apparently it uses music by a notorious pedophile:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-mu...e-gary-glitter

Between this and some of the comments made by Phillips, they are really going out of their way to talk me out of seeing this movie.
    Assassinate Putin!

considering this is a joker movie I doubt that even hurt it, might even help it for the diehards, but its a really do nothing fact for those who are going to see this movie.

If you are going to see this go in with an open mind. Don't listen to any reviews or people's comments on the film it will taint your perception.
    The J-man

Not strictly relevant, but funny: https://twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/1183237058963398658

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Apparently it uses music by a notorious pedophile:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-mu...e-gary-glitter

Between this and some of the comments made by Phillips, they are really going out of their way to talk me out of seeing this movie.
    Phillips is dead on with his comments. Having actually seen the movie The moral panic the media created around this movie is full of ****. Since their attempts to sabotage Joker blew up in their face they need other angles to attack from.

Fantastic Member

Saw it, enjoyed it, feel it's way too over-hyped/attacked by PC society. It's nowhere that serious smh

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4554&p=.htm

In the face of three new wide releases, there was no dethroning Joker from the weekend's top spot as the film not only topped the weekend box office domestically, internationally and worldwide, it has already generated over $543 million globally in just its first twelve days in global release. As for the newcomers, UAR's The Addams Family led the way with a solid second place debut while Paramount's Gemini Man and Lionsgate's Jexi struggled to find an audience. However, one film that didn't struggle was Neon's release of the Palme d'Or winner Parasite, which made an impact in just three theaters this weekend.
    With an estimated $55 million, WB's Joker easily repeat atop the weekend box office. The thriller dipped just -43% in its sophomore frame, pushing its domestic cume to $192.7 million after just ten days in release, dramatically outperforming pre-weekend expectations. In fact, it's the largest October second weekend ever, topping Gravity's $43.2 million sophomore frame back in 2013.
    Internationally, Joker delivered on a large scale, bringing in an estimated $123.7 million from 79 markets for an overseas cume that now tops $351 million and a worldwide total that has already reached $543.9 million. This makes the film the ninth largest DC Comics adaptation worldwide ever, currently placing behind Justice League ($657.9m). New openings this weekend included a $10.3 million debut in France and a $9.3 million opening in Germany. The UK is the film's top grossing overseas market with an estimated total that currently stands at $36.9 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin705 View Post
    Saw it, enjoyed it, feel it's way too over-hyped/attacked by PC society. It's nowhere that serious smh
    Outrage addiction and money-making.

Here.

Quote from the article if you don't want to scan through:

This is going to seem odd, reading this here on a fanboy blog, but you really shouldn’t click on every link you see. You’ve got to remember that, for most sites, it’s just business. The owners keep tabs on the stats, they see which kinds of stories generate the most traffic, and then they choose to run more stories like that. And, sadly, it leads to really misleading headlines as well as articles that exist for no other purpose than to piss you off and indirectly inspire you to comment, share, and get the rest of your friends angry, too- because then they will click, comment, and share!

I would know. I used to work for a site that would constantly hit me over the head with “We need more clicks! Make the headlines more provocative! Make more of the kinds of articles that generated all that traffic last week!”
    Last edited by Bat-Meal; 10-14-2019 at 12:01 AM.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

The outrage helped both sides. Never underestimate the power of curiosity. All it did was make Joker feel like a movie you had to see. I know for a fact that WB loved every minute of it.

Honestly don't even think the movie deserved all that talk. It pulled its punches in my opinion.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    The outrage helped both sides. Never underestimate the power of curiosity. All it did was make Joker feel like a movie you had to see. I know for a fact that WB loved every minute of it.

Honestly don't even think the movie deserved all that talk. It pulled its punches in my opinion.
    The actions taken by WB doesn't suggest they enjoyed the negative publicity. Media used the ghost of the Aurora shootings in it's campaign against the film, one activist group got the families of the victims to try to get WB to pull the movie or at least donate most of the films earnings, and WB banned all interviewers from the red carpet of the US premiere. Seems to me they had it with all the bullshit just as much as Todd Phillips.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post

That's a big statement to make. How do you know that exactly?

Granted, they'll no doubt be absolutely loving the effect that all this hysteria has had on the film's box office. I'll give you that. All of the studio's recent public actions relating to the film suggest otherwise though. They wouldn't even allow journalists to interact with the film's stars on the red carpet at the premiere, instead issuing a statement saying that it was time to stop talking about Joker and just let people actually see the movie instead. I bet the blue check-marks LOVED that.

Bat-Meal has it right above. Most of the mainstream media didn't actually care about any possible negative side effects that this movie could have generated. They just jumped on a bandwagon that was kick-started by the 'outrage-junkies' that make up too much of social media. Normal people simply ignore those perpetual hysterics the majority of the time. The mainstream media made that more difficult in this case but, hey ho, the general public still voted with their feet and wallets.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Mighty Member

I saw the movie, and I feel that it was enjoyable. No where NEAR what people were raving about. I do feel that my fear of humanizing the Joker was valid.
    spoilers:
    pretty much everyone who Joker murdered "deserved it" in a way...I mean the first few people was literally self defense, his mother contributed to his abuse and thus his condition, The talk show invited him to ridicule him, etc. I feel he could have at least shot in the audience a couple times...but c'est la vie
    end of spoilers