Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Those are the words of someone who actually has seen the film.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 09-25-2019 at 06:05 PM.

When did we get to a point where every movie is some kinda supposed propaganda or dangerous because it might inspire crazy people to do crazy things? Entertainment is just that and I hate when people Blame media for horrible events. Black Panther had a bad guy calling for the death of whitey. And that in no way would be responsible if a crazy person decided to go Kill a "Colonizer". Maybe focus more on helping mentally I'll people and less on complaining about art having the potential to inspire crazies to do something crazy. Jokers a probel but Horror movies are ok because Joker in a grounded approach represent a group of people who really exist? Cause I mean alot of non supernatural horror movies carry the same issues. Some loser who puts on a mask and kills his tormentors etc...

And let be honest it's only the loud minority online who are outraged. Most people who see it are gonna either like it or not. They arent gonna attach any political or social implications on it.

Mighty Member

How is it that movies are a danger to inspire violence but video games are not? It seems to me that either both would or would not.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Again, not surprised by this at all. Todd Phillips and co should have been smarter about the kind of movie they were making.

Imagine telling the families that suffered violence and death from an evil person that they're transparent for not wanting a movie that paints another evil person as a victim and a hero of their own story. Like, it's not just about them not liking it. It's an active measure to protect their community when nobody wants to do anything about gun control. They have to do something.
    No one in the community had to see the movie if they don't want to those who are gonna hurt people over a movie were allweys going to hurt people no single movie is going to change that.

All-New Member

I have made a point of not knowing the name of the guy who shot up a theatre dressed as the Joker. IF this film shows brutal realistic murders its going to ruin a childhood charachter for me that I enjoy watching in movies and cartoons. I have decided not to see this film.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Lokey View Post
    I have made a point of not knowing the name of the guy who shot up a theatre dressed as the Joker. IF this film shows brutal realistic murders its going to ruin a childhood charachter for me that I enjoy watching in movies and cartoons. I have decided not to see this film.
    He wasn't dressed as the joker he had orange hair and swat gear on. Also joker does that kinda stuff in the movies comics games it's not like the movie is doing something that new.
    Last edited by choptop; 09-25-2019 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    How is it that movies are a danger to inspire violence but video games are not? It seems to me that either both would or would not.
    I won't go so far as to blame the Joker movie for any violence it might incite, if it indeed does incite violence (knock on wood it won't). That said, I can sort of see why it MIGHT while playing Call of Duty or whatever would not.

I think it takes more than just seeing violence to trigger that sort of reaction. I think someone can potentially find the Jokers plight more relatable than Gears of War or the Rambo movie or Deadpool or whatever. I see why people would argue that there's a double standard there... but I think the Joker movie just seems to strike home. I haven't even watched the movie, but the trailer alone is personally giving off a certain toxic vibe ... I can play Mortal Kombat for the next 3 days straight and not necessarily get that sort of feelling. To me at least it's different... different to the point where I can totally buy that movie trigger things that other violent mediums won't.

Again though, if it does I wouldn't blame the movie. Just saying I wouldn't be shocked either.

I hate we live in a world where Art has to be censored because it might inspire nut jobs to do horrible things. I mean Fight Club was a How to guide for domestic terrorism. I don't recall any acts of terror being attributed to that movie. Maybe a couple real fight clubs and maybe some people even died on accident in some of those clubs. But just because there are idiots and insane people out there i dont think we should have to censor art. Anyone can find inspiration from anything imo. Bone Thugs N harmony were targeted in the 90s because a inmate tried to claim they're music inspired him to kill some prison guards. It's silly. People just trying to blame they're actions on soemthing outside themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I hate we live in a world where Art has to be censored because it might inspire nut jobs to do horrible things. I mean Fight Club was a How to guide for domestic terrorism. I don't recall any acts of terror being attributed to that movie. Maybe a couple real fight clubs and maybe some people even died on accident in some of those clubs. But just because there are idiots and insane people out there i dont think we should have to censor art. Anyone can find inspiration from anything imo. Bone Thugs N harmony were targeted in the 90s because a inmate tried to claim they're music inspired him to kill some prison guards. It's silly. People just trying to blame they're actions on soemthing outside themselves.
    One guy's take...

While I am not going to say that no thought should go into the "Bigger Picture" that art will exist in, the following is incredibly odd to me.

While they haven't narrowed down the exact year the film will take place in, "1981" has come up a few times. The fact that people seem to look at that...

- John Lennon was killed by someone with mental issues in late 1980.
    - Ronald Reagan was shot by someone with mental issues in early 1981.

along with...

Reagan-era cuts in the budgets for mental health care

... and wind up saying "Nope. This must be about the here and now and is making the following specific statement about the here and now that I have decided on. In addition, I have absolutely no doubt about that what I have decided on is entirely correct" is just tough to relate to.

While I'm not going to say "You cannot believe that.", I do feel like some folks are setting aside quite a bit to get there.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 09-25-2019 at 10:12 PM.

One other thing...

Think about the amount of time that has gone into covering that this might incite some sort of violence.

Once you have, think about how much coverage has gone into what it would take to help someone before a film could be a thing that might incite them to commit an act of violence.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    The bomb recipes in Fight Club were deliberately fake, of course. The main concern about that film is all the guys who didn’t get that the testosterone underground stuff was actually the target of its satire.

what.jpg

Dude, you're the director of the Hangover trilogy and Old School, and you made a knock-off of Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy. Piss off with your "real movie" BS.

The national ABC news yesterday had a lil segment about the Joker movie and the concerns some people have about the violence and story shown. BTW, who owns ABC network? hmm

Maybe this film came at the wrong time in our society.

I was planning to see it opening weekend, but I'm not sure. Maybe I'll wait to see what happens. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    what.jpg

Dude, you're the director of the Hangover trilogy and Old School, and you made a knock-off of Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy. Piss off with your "real movie" BS.
    The first hangover is still a classic imo. It and tropic Thunder are the best comedies of the 2000s to me. But that quote furthers my feelings that this isnt really a Joker movie. It's a movie they kinda slapped a Joker package onto to benefit off the name.

US Army issues warning about Joker movie:

The U.S. military has warned service members of the potential for a mass shooting at theaters showing the upcoming "Joker" film, according to notices from the Army.

The notices, circulated after the Army received an FBI bulletin, warn of extremists possibly replicating the deadly 2012 mass shooting at a movie theater in Aurora, Colo., Gawker Media’s website Gizmodo first reported.

“Posts on social media have made reference to involuntary celibate (‘incel’) extremists replicating” the shooting “at screenings of the Joker movie at nationwide theaters,” according to the notice from Army Materiel Command, which was sent to service members in an email last Wednesday.

“This presents a potential risk to [Defense Department] personnel and family members, though there are no known specific credible threats to the opening of the Joker on 4 October.”

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/4...ker-screenings