Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132 LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    I saw the movie, and I feel that it was enjoyable. No where NEAR what people were raving about. I do feel that my fear of humanizing the Joker was valid.
    spoilers:
    pretty much everyone who Joker murdered "deserved it" in a way...I mean the first few people was literally self defense, his mother contributed to his abuse and thus his condition, The talk show invited him to ridicule him, etc. I feel he could have at least shot in the audience a couple times...but c'est la vie
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    For everything that made him sympathetic he would do something to take it away. He didn't need to hunt down the third guy and empty his clip on him in the subway. Murray didn't deserve to die for making fun of the guy. Even if he was brought on to be ridiculed he was still given a platform that could make or break his career.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    I saw the movie, and I feel that it was enjoyable. No where NEAR what people were raving about. I do feel that my fear of humanizing the Joker was valid.
    spoilers:
    pretty much everyone who Joker murdered "deserved it" in a way...I mean the first few people was literally self defense, his mother contributed to his abuse and thus his condition, The talk show invited him to ridicule him, etc. I feel he could have at least shot in the audience a couple times...but c'est la vie
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    He didn't seem like the type to kill innocent people. He let the little person go. So not sure why he would have shot audience members.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Have you seen Three From Hell?

To repeat...

It is exactly what I meant.
    Ok just saw the movie she wasn't really like joker at all...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Not seeing any relation to anything comic books here and it doesn't even seem like its trying to be a comic book movie. Probably a pass for me. Taxi Driver can use an update, I guess, but this movie doesn't even seem to do that.
    Well, its been in theatres long enough that I finally did go and see it to see what the fuss was all about.

Sheesh, that was a disturbing film. Feel bad movie of the winter! But wow, Phoenix made the part his own and this is the best movie I've ever seen with him in it. Good character study, and for that reason I recommend it for those who have a strong psyche to handle gore and mental illness portrayals. It does a good job with a crazy difficult subject, I'm always amazed when directors pull movies like this off so well.

The stuff with the Waynes could have been cut out. Like Nostalgia critic once said "this scene has been portrayed so many times I'm surprised there aren't action figures of it!"

Final note: a security person kept patrolling the theatre the entire time. nothing I've seen at any other movie at that theatre
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 11-21-2019 at 11:29 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member

Joker has racked up the Academy Award nominations today with 11:

Best Picture
    Best Actor
    Best Director
    Best Adapted Screenplay
    Best Original Score
    Best Cinematography
    Best Makeup/Hair
    Best Film Editing
    Best Sound Mixing
    Best Sound Editing
    Best Costumes.

I'm especially rooting for Joker to win Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Original Score and Best Cinematography.

Retired

So will WB put JOKER in more theatres in the lead-up to the Oscars to take advantage of the publicity?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    So will WB put JOKER in more theatres in the lead-up to the Oscars to take advantage of the publicity?
    I know Regal and AMC tend to do Oscar showcases where several of the Best Picture nominees (usually not Netflix ones) will be placed back into theaters. Joker will likely be at those.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Joker has racked up the Academy Award nominations today with 11:

Best Picture
    Best Actor
    Best Director
    Best Adapted Screenplay
    Best Original Score
    Best Cinematography
    Best Makeup/Hair
    Best Film Editing
    Best Sound Mixing
    Best Sound Editing
    Best Costumes.

I'm especially rooting for Joker to win Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Original Score and Best Cinematography.
    There are a bunch of actors who have won both a Golden Globe and Oscar for the same performance. To me, this is one of those performances.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Incredible Member

Joker will be the bridesmaid but not the bride. Hollywood loves movies about itself, so Once Upon a Time in Hollywood wins with Tarantino Best Director.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by beetee View Post
    Joker will be the bridesmaid but not the bride. Hollywood loves movies about itself, so Once Upon a Time in Hollywood wins with Tarantino Best Director.
    I figure Tarantino will get the "should have won before, so let's give it to him now" Oscar for directing. OUaTiH is a great movie, but I think that's why Academy voters will choose him.

I have said this before. The Academy has 7,000 voters, we do not know why they vote for anything, and they DO NOT vote en masse for the same reason. We also don't know if anyone wins by 1,000 votes or 1. It is useless to put motive of why something won. They win because at least 1 more voter thought it should win. Some want to "send a message" some think the person deserves one, some think it was simply the best, some hand the ballot to their wife or agent, some do eenie, meenie, minie.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Congratulations to Joaquin Phoenix winning the Academy Award for Best Actor and Hildur Guđnadóttir winning the Academy Award for Best Original Score. Both well earned.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Congratulations to Joaquin Phoenix winning the Academy Award for Best Actor and Hildur Guđnadóttir winning the Academy Award for Best Original Score. Both well earned.
    Those were the awards I was hoping that they would win. Especially for best score.

henrymark

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Well, its been in theatres long enough that I finally did go and see it to see what the fuss was all about.

Sheesh, that was a disturbing film. Feel bad movie of the winter! But wow, Phoenix made the part his own and this is the best movie I've ever seen with him in it. Good character study, and for that reason I recommend it for those who have a strong psyche to handle gore and mental illness portrayals. It does a good job with a crazy difficult subject, I'm always amazed when directors movies like this off so well. With good internetspeed, one can watch all such content online

The stuff with the Waynes could have been cut out. Like Nostalgia critic once said "this scene has been portrayed so many times I'm surprised there aren't action figures of it!"

Final note: a security person kept patrolling the theatre the entire time. nothing I've seen at any other movie at that theatre
    Why security person was patrolling the theatre?
    Last edited by henrymark; 04-03-2020 at 02:20 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Those were the awards I was hoping that they would win. Especially for best score.
    Same here.