Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I hope that the film is commercially successful, but I wonder what this means for comics-adaptations in the future, whether they will veer back to the Nolan style of more "realism" and dramatically less spectacle.
    There is room with in the genre for more Joker style movies but it has to be a character by character thing and story by story thing. Superman (MoS and Batman V Superman) and Spiderman( Amazing Spiderman 1 & 2) sunk themselves taking on that tone and nobody goes into Spiderman/Superman for it to bring them down. If you take a look at character or story calls for a take like that then they should go in that direction but most people tend want to be uplifted or spectacle from their Superheroes movies. I don't think genre is going to veer back to Nolan/Snyder style especially with Superhero deconstruction style stories like The Boys on Amazon, HBO Watchmen series, Umbrella Academy or Jupiter Legacy on Netflix. Plus they are stuff like Titans around as well,I think the TV/Streaming is going to provide enough of superhero takes like that (hey it is cheaper as well) I think movies are going stick in the big spectacle special effect stuff and lighter stories with occasional a smaller budget project like Joker.

I traded my Frozen II press pass to watch this early.

While FII would pay me more ... a friend at Venice told me this movie is like an old-school crime movie with psychedelic overtones. It plays with open homages to Scorsese but in new ways.

And another friend there said it it was an overacted hot garbage mess of a plot that said nothing but Phoenix overacted to the point it was a masterclass in acting.

So I just HAD to see what's what. It sounds like a challenging review.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Yeah I really hope we don't see toxins that make people die with a smile on their face
    Iron Legion87 brought up a very tragic incident by a deranged man inspired by the Joker. https://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/auror...ry?id=16822251

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Or they discuss how China's box office is only an issue when it is movies they don't like are making bank.
    Friend, I said twice that Aquaman does have a strike against it. You're so convinced that you 'got me' you didn't even read my posts.

FYI, I doubt this movie is even going to be released in China.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Friend, I said twice that Aquaman does have a strike against it. You're so convinced that you 'got me' you didn't even read my posts.

If you did so, it was after much goading from myself...and confusion from others. You weren't very forthcoming...friend.
    Last edited by Star_Jammer; 09-04-2019 at 02:13 PM.

Spectacular Member

Oh yeah, the same day you stated no Marvel movie would have made over a billion without China. Followed up by “people aren’t emotionally invested in Spider-Man in the MCU” (days before the breakup). Along with the argument that a high domestic box office doesn’t equal quality, but a high Chinese box office equals poor quality and the overall defamation of the Chinese as a people...Not your best few days IMHO.
    Last edited by capNthor; 09-04-2019 at 03:39 PM.

Spectacular Member

When people discuss Marvel films, they don't actually talk about the individual movies; they talk about about what the after credits teaser entails.
    There’s no argument here to suggest that people loved the movie(s) and are so emotionally attached to the franchise and it’s characters, that the thing that excites them the most is what’s next. Doesn’t sound like people are all that invested.

The fakestream media is kind of out to get this movie. anywere I look I am getting the sense of this movie is good but? too much unnecessarily planted negative seeds out there for this movie.

https://screenrant.com/joker-movie-b...ews-explained/
    Why Joker Is Facing Backlash Despite The Great Reviews

What backlash? Is not out yet. why do I get the feeling many people wants this movie to kind of fail.

Here is another spin

Why are these people so afraid of this movie? I am tired of the bias here.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 09-04-2019 at 03:56 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    The fakestream media is kind of out to get this movie. anywere I look I am getting the sense of this movie is good but? too much unnecessarily planted negative seeds out there for this movie.

https://screenrant.com/joker-movie-b...ews-explained/
    Why Joker Is Facing Backlash Despite The Great Reviews

What backlash? Is not out yet. why do I get the feeling many people wants this movie to kind of fail.

Here is another spin

Why are these people so afraid of this movie? I am tired of the bias here.
    There’s backlash from comic book fans because the film changes almost everything from the characters history and isn’t a faithful adaptation at all. I could care less, but I know that sort of thing is a big deal for you given your post history, which makes your position on the fan “backlash” a little odd.

Quote Originally Posted by capNthor View Post
    Oh yeah, the same day you stated no Marvel movie would have made over a billion without China.
    If I could refine my statement it would be that the success of the MCU is broadly because of the Chinese box office. I don't think this is a controversial statement.

Followed up by “people aren’t emotionally invested in Spider-Man in the MCU” (days before the breakup).
    I said this in comparison to the Sam Raimi films, which were more popular in the domestic market. Even then, I'm more convinced that the outrage was less because people liked this current version of Spiderman and more because a toy was taken away from them.

Along with the argument that a high domestic box office doesn’t equal quality, but a high Chinese box office equals poor quality
    Yeah, nothing wrong here. Like I said, I doubt Joker is going to be even screened in Chinese theatres and, if it is, it probably wouldn't do very well. Joker is not going to be a billion dollar film or even a half a billion dollar film, but its probably going to be a good film regardless.

and the overall defamation of the Chinese as a people...Not your best few days IMHO.
    Calling an authoritarian regime an authoritarian regime is not defamation. The Chinese audience broadly speaking likes films the emphasis spectacle over characterization and plot and that's fine, but I prefer to have my films with some substance to them.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    Joaquin Phoenix couldn't give a bad performance if he tried
    You jinxed it, I randomly just saw "Mary Magdeline" and Joaquin Phoenix is hilariously miscast as "Jesus" in the movie. Maybe it's because I knew he was the Joker, but my interpretation of him playing the character was that of a crazy cult leader. (Which would have been fine but it was a movie geared for the Christian audience)

i get the sense that Phoenix is the kind of person who would agree that comic book movies are bad for the industry. and i think that he was sold on this role because it wasn't a comic book movie. so this is a movie intended to give comic book movies the finger. and they are using a comic book character to accomplish that goal. that's just my interpretation of what i've read so far. it won't affect my opinion of the movie or his performance, though.

Even CBR is getting backhandedly into the Joker bashing with its description of the movie as a "portrayal of incel violence." Uber-cringe. Man if that doesn't scare off 90 percent of the potential audience, I don't know what will.

Hey we got white computer nerds who can't get dates doing violent things! Yeesh.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Even CBR is getting backhandedly into the Joker bashing with its description of the movie as a "portrayal of incel violence." Uber-cringe. Man if that doesn't scare off 90 percent of the potential audience, I don't know what will.

Hey we got white computer nerds who can't get dates doing violent things! Yeesh.
    I wish people would wait until a movie was released before complaining about unfortunate implications

Mighty Member

I dunno... incel, when fully written, is such a broad category: "involuntarily celibate" COULD be used to describe millions of people all over the word from all walks of life, genders, and sexual preferences. and yet, in common usage "incel" appears to be intended to describe a very specifically heterosexual white male who is ANGRY that nobody will have sex with them.

I've known lots of people (both men and women, gay and straight) who were 'incels' who were perfectly nice people. maybe the key here is that a 'true' "incel" is angry about not having their sexual desires met and lets everybody know about it on the internet?

I never really warmed up to the phrase as it just seems like a way for people to use demeaning ad hominem attacks and not feel the least bit guilty about it. it seems especially odd since we are frequently told, for the sake of combating homophobia, that we shouldn't judge people on the basis of their sexuality... and yet, in the case of "incels", we are judging them on precisely that standard.

look at China... where, because of the one-child policy that was in effect, a lot of families chose to have sons instead of daughters. I recall reading somewhere that in China there was five men out there for every women. in that context, you might be able to argue that 30-to50% of the country could be incels for some portion of their life. are we to presume that they're less human because of their lack of opportunity or prospects at sexual activity?

seems like a such a petty and vindictive form of judgement.

then again, when I first heard what the term 'mansplaining' I found it equally bewildering, "why not just call them a condescending @$shat and be done with it? it's not like people pompously talking down to you and treating you like a child is something that only men do."