Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    is anyone else not really excited about this movie? i don't know if i'm experiencing burn out or not. but i just can't get excited for this knowing that it doesn't tie into the DCU's overall (and really awful) shared universe plan. this seems so unessential now.
    Actually I'm kind of the exact opposite - that it doesn't connect to anything makes me want to see it more. I haven't been this excited for a live action DC movie in years.

Edit: I'm just so tired of everything having to connect together and be in the same "universe". I hope this does well enough that they continue these kinds of Elseworlds movies.
    Last edited by Vakanai; 09-13-2019 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Actually I'm kind of the exact opposite - that it doesn't connect to anything makes me want to see it more. I haven't been this excited for a live action DC movie in years.
    100% agree with you.

Do you notice how the movie looks a lot richer than the connected cinematic movieS. the presumed story, the acting, the tone and the cinematography, you can tell it is not connected to anything. it reminds me of seeing Blade 98.

Edit: I'm just so tired of everything having to connect together and be in the same "universe". I hope this does well enough that they continue these kinds of Elseworlds movies.
    Unfortunately for DC it does seem as though they can't really pull off a connected universe well. They TRIED and found that it's a lot harder than marvel makes it look. So yeah... in the general sense I think we all probably should feel more excited about stand alone DC movies, at least until DC can improve at a shared universe.

I'm down for more Elseworlds. But Shazam, and Wonder Woman have given me hope that WB/DC can do something great. If Joker does well beyond critical success, I expect R-rated Batman stuff for the next 10 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Unfortunately for DC it does seem as though they can't really pull off a connected universe well. They TRIED and found that it's a lot harder than marvel makes it look. So yeah... in the general sense I think we all probably should feel more excited about stand alone DC movies, at least until DC can improve at a shared universe.
    Their main problem has been missing the point of having fun and not having somebody oversee the whole process.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I'm down for more Elseworlds. But Shazam, and Wonder Woman have given me hope that WB/DC can do something great. If Joker does well beyond critical success, I expect R-rated Batman stuff for the next 10 years.

Their main problem has been missing the point of having fun and not having somebody oversee the whole process.
    They did have someone oversee the process ... Snyder. But he seemed fairly poloraizing. Oddly enough for all the criticism he got (and I would agree he was lacking to some degree in the fun department), that campaign to release the Snyder cut is slowly building.

They did have someone oversee the process ... Snyder. But he seemed fairly poloraizing. Oddly enough for all the criticism he got (and I would agree he was lacking to some degree in the fun department), that campaign to release the Snyder cut is slowly building.
    They changed away from Snyder and didn't start with him.

DC/WB has not be clear on their vision and they still aren't.

Are they making a shared universe or are they doing Elseworlds or only certain characters or ...?

It's not clear.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Eh, I got nothing against them trying or doing the shared universe thing - Shazam, Aquaman, Wonder Woman have all been great - I'm just tired of everything is connected shared universe stuff in general. I'm not knocking them doing a shared universe, I just really want some stuff that aren't that for once. Even the comic books have a few out of continuity stories every year, glad film is finally following that example.
    I also have hopes for their shared universe, but the promise of a shared universe no longer interests me, while anything being uniquely not in universe interests me just for finally being different.

And I'm confused - are you saying R-rated Batman stuff is a good thing, a bad thing, or just a curious thing?

They changed away from Snyder and didn't start with him.

DC/WB has not be clear on their vision and they still aren't.

Are they making a shared universe or are they doing Elseworlds or only certain characters or ...?

It's not clear.
    I'm rooting for shared multiverse!

Seems like the plan might be continue the shared universe while soft-rebooting the elements of Snyder that didn't work (Batman, Superman), and also make the occasional Elseworld like Joker if someone makes a pitch they like. At least that's my guess. Which I think would be the smartest move.

I'm rooting for shared multiverse!

Seems like the plan might be continue the shared universe while soft-rebooting the elements of Snyder that didn't work (Batman, Superman), and also make the occasional Elseworld like Joker if someone makes a pitch they like. At least that's my guess. Which I think would be the smartest move.
    Don't hold your breath for a shared multiverse. This joker will not cross paths to Rob Pattinson's batman. its all been confirmed.

it'd be the smarter play. but i have no faith that they are going in that direction. it's just a very untidy property at the moment. i probably would look upon this more favorably if they had just decided to scrap the shared universe idea altogether. but i just sat through that forced Harley Quinn trailer before seeing IT 2. how does that work if they are rebooting Suicide Squad? i shouldn't have to think about this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Don't hold your breath for a shared multiverse. This joker will not cross paths to Rob Pattinson's batman. its all been confirmed.
    but, realistically, he should. even if you were split all of DC into their individual character properties, Joker clearly belongs in the batverse. he isn't Deadpool. he is defined by his archenemy; the Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    I was thinking less this version of Joker vs that Batman and more movies leading up to a Crisis on Infinite Earths. It'd be weird for this Joker to hop universe to duke it out with Pattinson's Batman in whatever universe that takes place in (main DCEU???).

it'd be the smarter play. but i have no faith that they are going in that direction. it's just a very untidy property at the moment. i probably would look upon this more favorably if they had just decided to scrap the shared universe idea altogether. but i just sat through that forced Harley Quinn trailer before seeing IT 2. how does that work if they are rebooting Suicide Squad? i shouldn't have to think about this stuff.
    It's all so messy because there are things they clearly want to keep (ie Aquaman, WOnder Woman, Harley), and elements they may or may not want to keep (possibly everything else). So it'll be interesting to see if we get reboots or soft reboots or if they just try and build off what is already there.

It's funny how their movie universes have ended up reflected the comic book universes. For all the minor tweaks Marvel is still the same universe Stan and Jack created. But DC with their crisis and 52's seem to believe they need to give themselves more of a clean slate every so often once things start getting messy.

It's all so messy because there are things they clearly want to keep (ie Aquaman, WOnder Woman, Harley), and elements they may or may not want to keep (possibly everything else). So it'll be interesting to see if we get reboots or soft reboots or if they just try and build off what is already there.

It's funny how their movie universes have ended up reflected the comic book universes. For all the minor tweaks Marvel is still the same universe Stan and Jack created. But DC with their crisis and 52's seem to believe they need to give themselves more of a clean slate every so often once things start getting messy.
    who owns the Watchmen, currently? because they really need to Doc Manhattan the hell out of their universe. then they could start fresh without worrying so much about having to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Eh, sometimes it doesn't matter what direction they go in - they follow the money. If elseworld titles make money, they will continue to make them despite still seeing money in the shared universe. They could just luck out into the smarter play, no smarts needed.

As for not having to think about this stuff - don't. Like Fox's old X-Men films with time travel shenanigans, stop thinking about how these movies interconnect and just worry about whichever one you are watching all by itself. Only the sequels to popular movies need to tie in - WW84, Aquaman 2, Shazam 2. Anything not those three, don't bother trying to tie them in until they've been course corrected. BoP with Harley is just an excess whatever.