Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Read it years ago, saw the movie. On the surface, it comes of as a simple story but when you break it down there is more to the story especially from commission Gordon's perspective that was underrated because people only focused on Barbra getting shot.

You know what I like about it? its a movie I know DC can at least adapt at some point again down the line maybe with Batman in it even with the story content that is not easy. my xmen marvel comic stories have gone down the drain now disney got the rights to xmen. Let me just enjoy the DC movies I know are still from DC comics. I don't have that with marvel anymore as all I see are disney stories.
    Since you've read it...

Lay out, in detail, just how much of that story seems to have been adapted in the trailers we have seen thus far?

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Since you've read it...

Lay out, in detail, just how much of that story seems to have been adapted in the trailers we have seen thus far?
    For now I would say not up to 20% but its a trailer so far also batman and bat girl are not in it so a lot is not going to be like the comics, page after page but at the same time the trailer has not reveled if joker has a pregnant wife either.

it may have a loose adaption of the basis of the story, meaning the entire concept of how we see a man decent into madness after so many set backs in life is a major part of the film like the killing the joke.

For now I would say not up to 20% but its a trailer so far also batman and bat girl are not in it so a lot is not going to be like the comics, page after page but at the same time the trailer has not reveled if joker has a pregnant wife either.

it may have a loose adaption of the basis of the story, meaning the entire concept of how we see a man decent into madness after so many set backs in life is a major part of the film like the killing the joke.
    Except the Joker origin presented in The Killing Joke wasn't about a series of setbacks causing a man's descent into madness - it was all "one bad day." From what little we see of the trailers, the events leading up to his madness are much more spread out. The only real connection to TKJ and JOKER is they're both more gritty, grounded takes on the Joker's origin.

Unrelated, but The Killing Joke is one of my favorite comic book stories. The animated adaptation was **** though. Shame too.

Just to get this straight...

How many times does Bat Girl appear in this copy of Batman: The Killing Joke that you read?

Just to get this straight...

How many times does Bat Girl appear in this copy of Batman: The Killing Joke that you read?
    You know he means Barbara Gordon. That she wasn't still Batgirl at the time of the story is kind of nitpicking.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    You know he means Barbara Gordon. That she wasn't still Batgirl at the time of the story is kind of nitpicking.
    If we are discussing how well it will adapt Batman: The Killing Joke, it's not really nitpicking to start at a "Baseline" knowledge of what is actually in Batman: The Killing Joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    hmm. Depending on how the movie performs, commercially. I wonder will there be one-off interpretations of other villains from the major canons. Riddler? Penguin? Ra's Al Ghul? Marvel folks like Dr. Doom, Kingpin, Black Cat? Not necessarily rated R, but steeped in whatever degree of "realism" that this movie is supposed to have?
    Lets all forget that a Catwoman got a stand alone movie years before Joker got his stand alone movie. Yes, please for all that is good in the world forget that movie. But anyway if anyone deserves a stand alone movie
    Catwoman should get another shot at a quality movie. She is one of the few villains/anti-heroes that has her own comic book and is a compelling character. Plus there is more of an interest in female characters now
    than there was them so that should work in Catwoman's favor.

Last edited by Killerbee911; 09-08-2019 at 11:38 PM.

If we are discussing how well it will adapt Batman: The Killing Joke, it's not really nitpicking to start at a "Baseline" knowledge of what is actually in Batman: The Killing Joke.
    This particular instance is though. Everyone knows Babs is/was Batgirl, and if you aren't aware of the continuity of the time there's nothing in Killing Joke to let you know she had stopped being Batgirl. Saying Batgirl was in it because Babs was in it is fine I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Lets all forget that a Catwoman got a stand alone movie years before Joker got his stand alone movie. Yes, please for all that is good in the world forget that movie. But anyway if anyone deserves a stand alone movie
    Catwoman should get another shot at a quality movie. She is one of the few villains/anti-heroes that has her own comic book and is a compelling character. Plus there is more of an interest in female characters now
    than there was them so that should work in Catwoman's favor.
    I'd love if they tried to do Catwoman again, but I'm afraid the last one killed any hope of a Catwoman solo ever again. At least for another ten/twenty years.

This particular instance is though. Everyone knows Babs is/was Batgirl, and if you aren't aware of the continuity of the time there's nothing in Killing Joke to let you know she had stopped being Batgirl. Saying Batgirl was in it because Babs was in it is fine I think.
    If your primary exposure to Killing Joke was the animated movie, you might believe the story was mostly about Batman and Batgirl.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    I'll admit I thought the reactions would be mixed from just seeing the first trailer. But this final trailer sold me on the film. It looks really good. Of course being someone that likes the MCU pretty much more than anything at this point, I have no problem following shared universes as long as I think the individual films are good. That being said I'm excited for Joker to be just its own thing and I think the variety in comic book movies is a good thing. If the MCU isn't for some or the DCEU or SMCU or whatever, they can just have stuff like this. A movie that's just a movie.

My one worry is that the fans that like this will start acting like the annoying sectors of The Dark Knight trilogy's fans or Logan fans, and start criticising every other comic book movie for not being like Joker. That's just being hypocritical.
    I'm more worried about the people criticising this film for not being like the MCU or the three DCEU movies they liked.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    If your primary exposure to Killing Joke was the animated movie, you might believe the story was mostly about Batman and Batgirl.
    Ugh, nobody's primary exposure should be that film. I'm not even against the Batman/Batgirl pairing like most are, but it was done so horridly here along with everything else. They took a classic, and they butchered it.

Ugh, nobody's primary exposure should be that film. I'm not even against the Batman/Batgirl pairing like most are, but it was done so horridly here along with everything else. They took a classic, and they butchered it.
    While I don't want to speak for Coal Tiger, it gets kind of odd when it feels like the "Serious Film!..." proponents sound like they are talking in terms of the animated film.

Any discussion of if Joker will be a "Serious" adaptation of Batman: The Killing Joke is sort of hard to entertain past that point.

While I don't want to speak for Coal Tiger, it gets kind of odd when it feels like the "Serious Film!..." proponents sound like they are talking in terms of the animated film.

Any discussion of if Joker will be a "Serious" adaptation of Batman: The Killing Joke is sort of hard to entertain past that point.
    Yeah, any adaptation serious or not should stay away from the animated film. Yeesh.

Still love the comic story though. So glad I read that before the movie.