Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 422
  1. #16
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,637

    Default

    Joaquin Phoenix couldn't give a bad performance if he tried, but I'm just baffled the character doesn't have any scars. His scarring was an integral part of his descent into madness.....'one bad day'. Heath Ledger wore makeup but he was scarred.
    At the moment I'm on the fence about this one. As we've already had a 'realistic' Joker in the Dark Knight, it's going to have to work hard to top Heath Ledger. Think I'll wait for the reviews.

  2. #17
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    Joaquin Phoenix couldn't give a bad performance if he tried, but I'm just baffled the character doesn't have any scars. His scarring was an integral part of his descent into madness.....'one bad day'. Heath Ledger wore makeup but he was scarred.
    At the moment I'm on the fence about this one. As we've already had a 'realistic' Joker in the Dark Knight, it's going to have to work hard to top Heath Ledger. Think I'll wait for the reviews.
    Err, what?

    Only Heath's Joker was scarred. The others had their skin bleached

  3. #18
    Fantastic Member Ozymandias's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Didnt the director do the first Hangover movie? Imo Hangover and Tropic Thunder are the best comedies of the last 20years. Tastes will differ though
    Yes and no (no participation in Tropic Thunder). He directed The Hangover, which I haven't seen because the trailer already tells me that's not my cup of tea. Hence my hesitance regarding this new project.

  4. #19
    Fantastic Member Ozymandias's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    we've already had a 'realistic' Joker in the Dark Knight, it's going to have to work hard to top Heath Ledger
    That was my a priori about any new Joker. For once, I won't ever watch Suicide Squad, and in general it'd be difficult to watch any movie with the Joker as a character, but Phoenix is one of my favourites, so this is one of those cases were more information is needed.

  5. #20
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,847

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Not seeing any relation to anything comic books here and it doesn't even seem like its trying to be a comic book movie. Probably a pass for me. Taxi Driver can use an update, I guess, but this movie doesn't even seem to do that.
    That is my feeling. The only reason this is even called Joker was to get it made. From all I have seen if you just called it The Clown and changed a few names the movie would not change one bit. It looks to me to have about as much to do with the comic Joker as the Catwoman movie did to the comic character.

  6. #21
    Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    629

    Default

    It feels like a remake of King of Comedy, which isn't bad as i think it was such an underrated film.If it's good,i don't care if it's an elseworld story.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

    Previously known as Nefarius

  7. #22
    Scarlet and Proud! Star_Jammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Err, what?

    Only Heath's Joker was scarred. The others had their skin bleached
    Jack's Joker definitely had something going on with his mouth.

    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

  8. #23
    Fantastic Member Ozymandias's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Master Planner View Post
    It feels like a remake of King of Comedy, which isn't bad as i think it was such an underrated film.If it's good,i don't care if it's an elseworld story.
    When I heard DeNiro saying "You can say that again, pal", I thought it was more of an inside joke, with him playing the role of Jerry Lewis.

  9. #24
    Astonishing Member AJBopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Jack's Joker definitely had something going on with his mouth.

    Yes he had a bullet shot through his face before he fell into the vat.
    Why yes, I AM a Mark Goodson/Bill Toddman production.

  10. #25
    Astonishing Member AJBopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,109

    Default

    Some will point to this as an example of how to push the edge with a comic book movie, but based on what we see here there is nothing about this movie that suggests comic book. I suspect there's a reason this is called Joker instead of The Joker.

    You can't turn something into a comic book movie just by adding a character named Wayne into it.

    This looks like a very, very well-done movie. It also looks like a genre I have no interest in. I applaud the craftsmanship that is apparent in the film, and I respect the people who will see it and enjoy it. But it's not for me.
    Why yes, I AM a Mark Goodson/Bill Toddman production.

  11. #26
    Astonishing Member superduperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Metropolis USA
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    I plan on seeing it. For one thing, it's nice to have a comic book movie that isn't part of some larger universe again. I'm sick of having to watch ten other movies before the one I actually want to see to understand what's going on. What I'm hoping is that this will usher in a whole slew of stand alone comic book movies for people who don't want to have to follow an entire extended universe. That was my complaint with Endgame. You have to have seen every single Marvel movie to follow what was going on. The only downside is it might attract a certain...unhealthy...fanbase. Internet trolls who think it's "kewl" to be some nihilistic terrorist trying to burn "the system" to the ground.
    Now listen to me, Clark! This great strength of yours--you've got to hide it from people or they'll be scared of you!

  12. #27

  13. #28
    Resident of The Djalia Blind Wedjat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,608

    Default

    I'll admit I thought the reactions would be mixed from just seeing the first trailer. But this final trailer sold me on the film. It looks really good. Of course being someone that likes the MCU pretty much more than anything at this point, I have no problem following shared universes as long as I think the individual films are good. That being said I'm excited for Joker to be just its own thing and I think the variety in comic book movies is a good thing. If the MCU isn't for some or the DCEU or SMCU or whatever, they can just have stuff like this. A movie that's just a movie.

    My one worry is that the fans that like this will start acting like the annoying sectors of The Dark Knight trilogy's fans or Logan fans, and start criticising every other comic book movie for not being like Joker. That's just being hypocritical.

  14. #29
    Invincible Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    27,850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Some will point to this as an example of how to push the edge with a comic book movie, but based on what we see here there is nothing about this movie that suggests comic book. I suspect there's a reason this is called Joker instead of The Joker.

    You can't turn something into a comic book movie just by adding a character named Wayne into it.

    This looks like a very, very well-done movie. It also looks like a genre I have no interest in. I applaud the craftsmanship that is apparent in the film, and I respect the people who will see it and enjoy it. But it's not for me.
    If this ends up even a moderate sucess, maybe that'll be a trend to capitalize on the current super hero fad. Stick a character from a comic book in a movie that isn't otherwise a super hero movie, just to get that extra bit of buzz and attention that a movie like that otherwise wouldn't get.

  15. #30
    Invincible Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    27,850

    Default

    Part of me is hesitant about seeing the movie, even though I'm 100% sure we'll be getting an award winning lead performance, because the movie just gives off an almost toxic vibe. I can't help but think I'll walk out of the theater feeling worse than I did when I first walked in. And part of me suspects that's exactly the intent of the movie.

    But we'll see. Could be reading too much into the previews.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •