Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    No one here said Disney bought off critics. Please don't strawman us.
    Right, of course. They’re just afraid to anger Disney. Or something.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    Star Wars did get favoritism with RT with a critic score of 91% . The audience score did show 44% but that's pretty rare these days for the rt audience score to be that much lower than the critics.
    Solo only got a 70. So its not like a Disney movie can't get medicre scores. A Wrinkle in time got a 42.

Honestly people read way to into this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Right, of course. They’re just afraid to anger Disney. Or something.
    I gave a reason as to why RT over rewards mediocre films. Feel free to disagree with my actual points instead of framing me and my cohorts as conspiracy theorists.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 10-02-2019 at 02:20 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

I gave a reason as to why RT over rewards mediocre films. Feel free to disagree with my actual points instead of framing me and my cohorts as conspiracy theories.
    There's a difference between arguing that rt over rewards mediocre films, and arguing that it favors only Disney star wars and MCU films though.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    There's a difference between arguing that rt over rewards mediocre films, and arguing that it favors only Disney star wars and MCU films though.
    I would say sometimes people accidentally make sweeping claims, but they don't necessarily mean them. I'm fully aware that I shouldn't make claims like "X never happens!" and even I slip up sometimes.

No, Disney properties aren't the sole beneficiary of RTs rating system. There are DC films (Shazam, Wonder Woman) that benefited from it too, a lot of JJ Abrams stuff benefit from it as well (Super 8, his Star Trek films). All studios actually benefit from RT, because even though 60% or 70% aren't considered to be all that great, its still likely a higher score than it has on Metacritic. That being said though, it seems self-evident to a lot of people that Disney has reaped the greatest benefits from RT no doubt.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 10-02-2019 at 03:38 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Astonishing Member

I can't see this movie having a brilliantly high score on RT (Like 95%+), mainly because this type of movie isn't for everyone.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think the argument is that RT rewards films for being formulaic and small in scope and therefore crossing a low bar. Then if a film is bolder and takes more risks it is punished more harshely for those risks not landing perfectly. So with RT you are most incentivized for aiming low and satisfying lower requirments because more critics will get that you were aiming for the minimum and succeeded, while aiming higher will land well with less critics if it can't pull it off flawlessly. Therefore you'll see cookie cutter Marvel films get better scores than some Oscar caliber films that were significantly more complex

I hated Ghostbusters 2016 and many other films that got really good Rotten Tomatoes scores but I don't blame Rotten Tomatoes it collects data from critics and critics are doing their jobs. This whole Internet vs RT and Critics is just sad and weird 25 years ago the internet would had been calling for Siskel and Eberts heads or more appropriately thumbs if this mentality existed at the birth of the Net.

No one here said Disney bought off critics. Please don't strawman us.
    Lol just cause you didnt say critics were in the bag for Disney dont pretend that's not something people on here are saying. Shills and Brain washing are the most common accusations. A particular poster who's very active on this thread says these things all the time.

But yea a MCU movie that appeals to all demographics will do better then a more ambitious movie that might not be for everyone. Joker was always gonna ruffle some peoples feathers. Also if you take a bigger swing and lean hard into the drama you will judged as so. While a fun action comedy will be judged as that. RT scores are only good for telling you what the overall feeling towards a movie is. Well liked or generaly disliked. Doesnt speak to the quality since good or bad(Pass or fail) has a spectrum.

Updating RT

https://screenrant.com/joker-movie-r...rtified-fresh/
    Joker Is Officially Certified Fresh On Rotten Tomatoes (For Now)

We continue to see faux negative coverage of the film. the headline at Screenrant is not surprising because screenrant gave it a negative review. screenrant already complained RDJ may loose an oscar nomination to the joker again, which is strange as I had no idea RDJ did any oscar worthy acting this year. Phoenix is getting praised for his performance, not since the days of heath ledger's joker or patrick stewart's in Logan has any actor in a comic film gotten Oscar attention. when I think deeper, its all coming together the agenda of what this people are about.

I hope these folks don't get any heart attack when joker gets a best picture nomination because that is what this **** is really about. The more the RT score drops, the less people are loosing fate in the system, I am reading all the reviews, what the critics are actually saying is more impressive than any comic movie we have seen this year that can't rise over fun popcorn flicks and generic cgi set pieces.

The critics like vulture, screencrush, Chicago tribune who are bashing the movie for being over serious , over self aware and over grim are not to be trusted considering they saw nothing wrong with fat Thor who was the wrong type of clown.

what joker is doing is exposing the system in a way maybe star wars has ever done.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 10-02-2019 at 10:49 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Movies about mass murderers facing no real consequences are the only way DC can get Oscar buzz. Not really a good look. Is Joker really daring to be different?Seems like the same villain-centric stuff they've been pushing for 20 something yrs now.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 10-02-2019 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Movies about mass murderers facing no real consequences are the only way DC can get Oscar buzz. Not really a good look.
    Joker was captured at the end of TDK

This Joker film looks super grim.

Those are consequences enough

DC only gets Oscar buzz when they actually make a real film.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Movies about mass murderers facing no real consequences.
    Why do villans need to face real consequences? The heros at marvel don't most of the time also what Oscar buzz does marvel have besides black panther and a very slim endgame?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Why do villans need to face real consequences?
    I'm guessing this is a rhetorical question. But ya know movies about mass murderers can still be art but i'd say it's like the lowest bar set possible. Nothing daring or high brow about it.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Why do villans need to face real consequences?
    Joker in particular faced real consequences. where was he in TDKR? Dead, imprisoned, apprehended. I can't spoil this film but it look as if I was right. the movies does follow a killing joke kind of narrative.

The heros at marvel don't most of the time also what Oscar buzz does marvel have besides black panther and a very slim endgame?
    Perhaps why the media dislikes this film.black panther was nominated but for the wrong reasons. Endgame has zero Oscar thick box checks and it is the highest grossing of all time. Should Joker get an oscar for best picture or even for writing or acting, it will be a great embarrassment to both endgame and black panther, the media's realization of this is what made them turn on the film.

What kind of reviews are these
    https://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...hoenix/599215/
    Yes, Joker Is a Very Serious Drama. No, That’s Not a Compliment.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/enter...rlq-story.html
    ‘Joker’ review: Joaquin Phoenix creates an interior world of pain. His movie is a pain, period.

I can't take this ''critics'' seriously. they are angry that the joker is a psycho and acts just like one.