Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Joker was captured at the end of TDK

This Joker film looks super grim.

Those are consequences enough

DC only gets Oscar buzz when they actually make a real film.
    Oh god I went to film school stop with the "real film" stuff it's like classmates I knew who hated Spielberg because he was too commercial it sounds silly and snobbish when people say stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I think its stranger when people behave as if RT is some sort of national institution and is beyond reproach. We have tons of measurements to rate a county's success (GDP, GDP per capita, HDI, etc) and each of them have their own strengths and weaknesses, yet for movies people really only focus on one. Any sort of metric is going to have flaws and weaknesses.

One reason people are beginning to turn against RT isn't entirely because people are upset with the score, its because people use RT as an objective standard for films and attempt to use it to squash dissenting opinions with it. Fans of the Last Jedi use the RT score to dismiss critics of the film, those who dislike BvS continue to use RT to not only disparaged the film, but its fan base as well. RT apologists keep insisting that its the critics of RT that don't understand how it works, but there is no group that spreads greater disinformation about the site than its greatest supporters.
    By people you mean a small minority on the internet who whine when films they like don't get good scores and wonder why they're call Manbabies?

This is how adults handles it "I don't care about critics or internet scores I like what I like you like what you like good day" Not whine and go into conspiracy theories.

Take me I don't use RT to say BvS is bad I let the film do the talking with how bad it is BvS even the Ultimate Cut is an Mess I mean I dislike Man of Steel but most of that is subjective criticism while BvS is just bad story telling.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    By people you mean a small minority on the internet who whine when films they like don't get good scores and wonder why they're call Manbabies?

This is how adults handles it "I don't care about critics or internet scores I like what I like you like what you like good day" Not whine and go into conspiracy theories.

Take me I don't use RT to say BvS is bad I let the film do the talking with how bad it is BvS even the Ultimate Cut is an Mess I mean I dislike Man of Steel but most of that is subjective criticism while BvS is just bad story telling.
    The simple truth these people don't want to admit to us and themselves is that if Joker had a 90-99% score on RT you wouldn't hear a peep about why RT is a bad and flawed system, because even they wouldn't say it outloud, it'll still be used an example in their heads of why Joker is the masterpiece of filmmaking they've already decided it is.

But the moment the precious film labelled and lifted up as an anti-Disney/Marvel product suddenly fairs less than Disney/Marvel fare they suddenly resort to conspiracy theories and the like, because it's easier and much more fun to believe you are a unique and smart individual that has noticed a pattern other people have not and therefore you're not part of the "shills". It's more fun to believe if you spout these things as loud as you can you're fighting against an ever present yet mysterious and elusive monolithic entity, than to actually discuss and identify why a movie might be divisive. In this world the critics (who are treated as a hivemind) and review aggregators (who are treated as if they are the ones that do the reviewing) are simply 'wrong' and you're 'right' and anyone who disagrees with you is just another sheep in the herd.

People need to understand that pointing out BvS' low RT score isn't (just) to say it was 'bad', but to point out its failing to be a critically acclaimed movie. It is a fact and it is provided as evidence to support that fact. What makes BvS 'bad' is a matter of both subjective opinions and objective reasons but what makes BvS a critical failing is it's RT score. Likewise, what makes the MCU films critical successes (since so many just love to talk about the MCU even though they claim to hate it) is the high average RT score within the franchise, but what makes the MCU films 'good' is a matter of subjective opinions and objective reasons.

Everyone likes critics and RT when they agree with them and everyone dislikes critics and RT when they disagree with them. This the truth. Trying to state otherwise is false.

Double toasted released they're review and I usually trust they're opinion. They are uber liberal and they say the Incel **** is all non sense. Doesnt apply at all to that actual movie. But they are split on the movie. Korey loved it and Martin seemed to think it was a bit slow.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 10-03-2019 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    This goddamn thread...

People who claim to not like something, but can't stop talking about said thing and are so clearly bothered by its existence that they resort to conspiracy theories.
    You just described everyone who hates the DC movies with the bolded.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    You just described everyone who hates the DC movies with the bolded.
    On this thread I haven't seen anyone who hates DC movies, but I have seen one user who has (to paraphrase) "I hate the MCU" in their signature and another user who is notoriously anti-Disney/Marvel.

Guess which users were the ones peddling the usually conspiracy theories.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Double toasted released they're review and I usually trust they're opinion. They are uber liberal and they say the Incel **** is all non sense. Doesnt apply at all to that actual movie. But they are split on the movie. Korey loved it and Martin seemed to think it was a bit slow.
    I've seen a few users on other forums that I talk to say it's good but not great, another say they loved it and can't stop thinking about it, and another it's nothing mind blowing but quite good looking. I trust my overall opinion will lie somewhere there.

Film is expected to have a huge weekend!

This weekend sees the debut of the latest DC Comics adaptation in Warner Bros.'s release of Joker, which has generated a slew of attention heading into release. Following its debut at the Venice Film Festival, where it won the Golden Lion for Best Film, the conversation has since turned to the film's use of violence and, in response, the New York and Los Angeles police will deploy officers to theaters screening the film this weekend. Nevertheless, the film looks as if it will break the October opening weekend record set just last year as the conversation surrounding it is sure to intensify over the weekend.
    Debuting in over 4,300 locations, Joker is already the widest October opening of all-time, topping the 4,250 theaters Venom opened in last year before setting the October opening weekend record with an $80.25 million debut. On top of opening in more theaters than Venom, it will also be getting a one hour head start in terms of Thursday previews, which begin at 4PM. A look at IMDb page views is also trending more and more positively, growing as the week goes on with it pacing similarly to not only Venom, but also Logan ($88.4m opening) and pacing ahead of both Spectre ($70.4m opening) and Halloween ($76.2m opening). The studio is anticipating an opening anywhere from $70-80 million, while we see it more like $75-85+ million based on these metrics and perhaps topping $90 million.
    https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4551&p=.htm

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    You just described everyone who hates the MCU movies with the bolded.
    Fixed that for you.

Having seen the film the only connection more tenuous than it's supposed connection into incels/alt-right is it's connection to Batman: The Killing Joke.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Just saw Joker. I don't put any outright spoilers in my review here, but I thought I'd hide it for anyone trying to go in relatively blind.

spoilers:
    8/10

There's a lot to digest and I had mixed feelings throughout, but ultimately it was a solid satisfying well-shot story about a man descending into violent madness, which is what was advertised. I was a little bit concerned that the film was too eager to abandon its comic book roots, but it didn't shy away from existing in Gotham and acknowledging central events, characters, and themes. There are multiple "political" angles you could view the movie from, and they're interesting to dissect, but it's more a character study than a societal statement. My main criticism of the movie would be that some of the early attempts to invoke pity feel contrived, and that you can find yourself rooting for him for a lot of the movie, which in my view kind of takes it a step too far in "humanizing" him and does a disservice to the evil of the character. But at the same time, you're not seeing the Joker for most of the film, you're seeing the man who becomes him through a gradual evolution. In the end a lot of what makes him tick is narcissism, and they capture that extremely well. I didn't think the film outright promoted dangerous ideas, but some who have concerns that the film celebrates vengeful violence may have a point.

In any case, definitely worth seeing. This is one I'll have to think about more, watch again, and talk with people about to get a more solid idea of what the movie means to me and what it says about #society. I expect some people to go overboard and call it a masterpiece because of Joaquin Pheonix's acting; it wasn't that for me. But it was a damn interesting and entertaining movie that took risks. Can't ask for much more than that.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    Right, because it's only people who hate the MCU that do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    On this thread I haven't seen anyone who hates DC movies, but I have seen one user who has (to paraphrase) "I hate the MCU" in their signature and another user who is notoriously anti-Disney/Marvel.

Guess which users were the ones peddling the usually conspiracy theories.
    Every conversation about this movie this movie has been hit with people who hate the DCEU, the usual suspects who cry "the sky is falling" whenever a DC movie not made to their liking comes into existence and even before the movie was released all manner of founded accusations of some sinister message it was sending. Hell, just last page you had someone complaining about the idea of WB making a movie about a villain and supposedly having him suffer no consequences even if they haven't seen it. But two guys complaining about RT is all that gets any criticism.

It isn't enough for people to say they aren't interested in this film and move on they have to go out of their way to make hating it some kind of moral crusade.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 10-03-2019 at 09:23 PM.

I mean, is it not lost on you that you are calling people manchildren for disliking...a review aggregate site? You also didn't really address any of my criticisms of the site either.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Except that you use RT. You brought up Endgame's RT score to prove to me is a great film when I said the movie is just not well done as a time travel tale and I used the time machine 1960s as an example to show endgame's flaw as bad story time travel film. you also used RT relentlessly to defend black panther's even though it is clear the CGI was terrible, same for Endgame

Oh god I went to film school stop with the "real film" stuff it's like classmates I knew who hated Spielberg because he was too commercial it sounds silly and snobbish when people say stuff like this.
    Never said I went to film school, did not say I did not go either. although this is a good point, if you met anyone who went to film school you would know they don't give a **** about RT but also they may know how to make movies better.

Joker was a good example, the trailer gave it away that things like the cinematography, character study arcs and the acting should be top norch in the film. Is those that went to film school that can point this out, and these is what people look for in a real film, they don't go to RT for that.

If anything its only a small minority that uses rt to try and convince people about movie quality usually from my experience these people are Disney fans of MCU and star wars only. RT is not a big deal anywhere else.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 10-04-2019 at 06:21 AM.