Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 222829303132

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Part of me wants to see another Phoenix-Phillips-Joker movie, but the other part of me is terrified at the thought.
    It'll be a media circus, I'm sure.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Well considering the original movie's media circus (which involved fabricated panic over potential violence) went down in flames and into the Oscar race, and that we're living in a post-01/06 insurrection world, I'd hope people would settle the damn down into how much of a prestige role Joker continues to be when talking about Joker 2.

Yes indeed!! But I was considering just how depressing the movie really was, as a film. It really never let up and every time you thought it couldn't get worse, it did. I've rarely if ever felt such despair from watching a movie.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Yes indeed!! But I was considering just how depressing the movie really was, as a film. It really never let up and every time you thought it couldn't get worse, it did. I've rarely if ever felt such despair from watching a movie.
    Joker isn't a feel good type of movie given the character, but I didn't feel depressed or in despair after watching it. I just felt like it was a great take on an origin story for the Joker character. There are some movies where I legit did feel depressed and in despair after watching it. The most memorable being "The Mist" that starred Thomas Jane (2004 Punisher). I left the theater after he shot his son and the older couple and was about to kill himself but then the mist clears up and the military rides by..... It took me a day or two to get that movie outta my head.

I guess for me it was identification with the character of Joker. It was a good thing overall, as far as filmmaking.

Agree about the Mist. That movie spiraled, too, with no let up.

There are actually quite a few films, now that I think of it, whose point almost seems to be to engender existential despair.

I never thought it was that dark and depressing honestly, certainly nothing to feel genuine despair after watching. Sure, it's the antithesis of our modern, happy, MCU styled action blockbuster (and I'm not putting those down or making a quality judgment on them, but obviously they tend towards uplifting and this film...doesn't). Yeah, none of it is hopeful, none of it is optimistic, none of it is happy (although that bit at the end got a morbid chuckle out of me), but it's far from like the worst bleak pit of despair imaginable. Like there are episodes of Law and Order: SVU that left me feeling much worse than that (a show I at one time loved, but would never have wanted to see a marathon for). Plenty of crime dramas go darker than that. Even plenty of horror movies. Hell, I've seen Magical Girl Deconstruction Anime that left me more depressed after viewing. Like, it was a good depressing movie, not going to disagree on that, but if you've rarely felt that much despair from a film, then I have to make the guess you haven't seen many films outside of the happy action and/or comedy fairs. For a crime drama sort of film, it's not even that bleak. I mean, I'd never want to watch it on a loop, but as far as films of its type goes, it's really not that messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    Joker isn't a feel good type of movie given the character, but I didn't feel depressed or in despair after watching it. I just felt like it was a great take on an origin story for the Joker character. There are some movies where I legit did feel depressed and in despair after watching it. The most memorable being "The Mist" that starred Thomas Jane (2004 Punisher). I left the theater after he shot his son and the older couple and was about to kill himself but then the mist clears up and the military rides by..... It took me a day or two to get that movie outta my head.
    Honestly, I think that the Mist suddenly getting lifted as the military arrived really gutted that scene. I get the point is the tragedy that he killed his son and had he waited half a minute they all would have been saved. But in execution having it come so immediately after the act just kind of annoyed me and took away from the despair element. I thin I resisted the urge to say "Oh **** off" aloud, but yeah. If the movie had just ended right after the shooting and the military it would have remained depressing. But that end just cuts the legs out from under the emotional climax.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I never thought it was that dark and depressing honestly, certainly nothing to feel genuine despair after watching. Sure, it's the antithesis of our modern, happy, MCU styled action blockbuster (and I'm not putting those down or making a quality judgment on them, but obviously they tend towards uplifting and this film...doesn't). Yeah, none of it is hopeful, none of it is optimistic, none of it is happy (although that bit at the end got a morbid chuckle out of me), but it's far from like the worst bleak pit of despair imaginable. Like there are episodes of Law and Order: SVU that left me feeling much worse than that (a show I at one time loved, but would never have wanted to see a marathon for). Plenty of crime dramas go darker than that. Even plenty of horror movies. Hell, I've seen Magical Girl Deconstruction Anime that left me more depressed after viewing. Like, it was a good depressing movie, not going to disagree on that, but if you've rarely felt that much despair from a film, then I have to make the guess you haven't seen many films outside of the happy action and/or comedy fairs. For a crime drama sort of film, it's not even that bleak. I mean, I'd never want to watch it on a loop, but as far as films of its type goes, it's really not that messed up.
    Its just personal taste. My own bent is towards happier or funnier films, you are right. Even with horror movies, I prefer stuff like Cabin in the Woods where there is some comedy with the horror. So yah. Expectations play into it as well, and I kind of went into the film expecting something different from what it was in the end. Didn't expect it to be happy, but I expected it to be less about a descent into mental illness so that aspect caught me off-guard and made me think, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Well considering the original movie's media circus (which involved fabricated panic over potential violence) went down in flames and into the Oscar race, and that we're living in a post-01/06 insurrection world, I'd hope people would settle the damn down into how much of a prestige role Joker continues to be when talking about Joker 2.
    Did take a peek online and so far, the think pieces have mostly been along the lines of "do we need a Joker 2?" (the answer being "no," mostly), with some scattered wondering if we'll see the Arthur Fleck Joker meet the "real" Joker or something. None of the editorials r.e. concerns about the movie provoking violence and/or glorifying incels that we got with the original's release. Course, we still don't know anything about the movie except that it's happening and it's possible that there will be concerns about its content when that content is actually known.

Either way, I think it's a good bet that people are going to be very interested in how successful it is and that there will probably be a lot of digital ink spilled on how it managed to outdo its predecessor or the filmmaker's folly in not quitting while they were ahead.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Did take a peek online and so far, the think pieces have mostly been along the lines of "do we need a Joker 2?" (the answer being "no," mostly),
    I really hate that kind of thinking. There's no such thing as a movie we "need" so of course the answer is no.

BANNED

Quite frankly I've never seen the hype for this.
    Just seems to be typical arthouse movie only they put the name Joker on it and claimed it was a comic book movie to get press and publicity, which I just don't find very impressive.
    I don't like to use the term cashgrab but it feels more than fitting here.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I really hate that kind of thinking. There's no such thing as a movie we "need" so of course the answer is no.
    Some movies just don't need sequels. many directors dont even do sequels. However Joker is one of those characters that you can make many movies about, However I think the first film is the best they can do for what they are going for. I rather not have a sequel for joker. there , it makes joker been an only film even more seminal in the comic book genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro View Post
    Quite frankly I've never seen the hype for this.
    Just seems to be typical arthouse movie only they put the name Joker on it and claimed it was a comic book movie to get press and publicity, which I just don't find very impressive.
    I don't like to use the term cashgrab but it feels more than fitting here.
    I'm glad I'm not the only ones that sees this.

I've even see interviews where they've stated they used nothing from the comics. If you're not using anything from the comics in a story based on a character from the comics, then what even makes it the Joker? They changed his look. They changed his personality. They changed his origin and what he does. How is that in anyway the Joker?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only ones that sees this.

I've even see interviews where they've stated they used nothing from the comics. If you're not using anything from the comics in a story based on a character from the comics, then what even makes it the Joker? They changed his look. They changed his personality. They changed his origin and what he does. How is that in anyway the Joker?
    I mean I hear people use the term Elseworlds a lot but it's pretty that wasn't the film makers intent, honestly I'd be surprised to learn if Todd Phillips was even aware of the concept of an Elseworlds.
    And even then I don't think that's a good excuse, I feel there's a very fine line in what constitutes something as an Elseworlds, and I don't think Joker meets the qualifications, I don't know if you've read it but Marvel has mini series called "Powerless" that takes place in a more normal world where there are no superheroes, Peter Parker is just a normal kid, Bruce Banner is just a man with an identity disorder, Matt Murdock is just a typical lawyer, etc. and despite the fact these fact these characters aren't in costumes fighting villains and doing the stuff we've watched them do for decades enough of the essence or the spirit of the characters is kept that even though we're not seeing them as superheroes who save the day and they're not living in a world full of magic and super science we can still perfectly relate them to the original versions, while with Joker I just don't see that, I mean sure the guy has mental problems but there's more to Joker than just that, otherwise what's stopping us from taking a generic cop movie and labeling it a solo James Gordon film?

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Some movies just don't need sequels. many directors dont even do sequels. However Joker is one of those characters that you can make many movies about, However I think the first film is the best they can do for what they are going for. I rather not have a sequel for joker. there , it makes joker been an only film even more seminal in the comic book genre.
    Again, the movie does not exist that "needed" a sequel, because there's not a movie that exists that "needed" to be made to begin with.

And I don't care if it lives up to the first one, at all, I want a sequel just because I'm more curious to see where they'd go with it than not.