Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by trooper_thorn View Post
    The funny thing about the whole comic book movie scene is that while the Marvel films have been far more successful I've had more of an interest in discussing the DC movies overall. They've at least tried to do different things (sometimes unsuccessfully) as opposed the "Marvel formula" we've seen time and time again.

Does anybody else feel this way?
    Honestly, I tend to disagree with even seriously making the assertion that it is squarely a "DC" film at heart.

- Is it set in Gotham? Sure...

- Are the Waynes in it? Sure...

Past that, how much of a "DC" film will this wind up being?

- Is Mad Hatter going to show up?

- Will Arthur wind up in a vat of acid at some point?

While I can see trying to lump them all into "Comic Book" or "DC" piles, it's not like this film will be one where folks say "Why, yes. This is clearly a film along the same lines as Suicide Squad."

The funny thing about the whole comic book movie scene is that while the Marvel films have been far more successful I've had more of an interest in discussing the DC movies overall. They've at least tried to do different things (sometimes unsuccessfully) as opposed the "Marvel formula" we've seen time and time again.

When people discuss Marvel films, they don't actually talk about the individual movies; they talk about about what the after credits teaser entails.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 09-02-2019 at 07:04 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

There are upsides to a lack of sucess.

Because the marvel formula is sucessful, it's less likely to stray from it. When you're last 5 out of 6 movies have earned over a billion dollars, you're less likely to fix what ain't broken.

The DCEU hasn't had the same degree of sucess with their formula, so they're throwing what they can against the wall to see what sticks. If the DCEU worked EXACTLY as intended, we'd more likely be getting Cyborg and Flash movies than what we're getting now because that's where they were headed. When what your'e doing is NOT working, you try anything you can to find something that does out of necessity. For a viewer, that can be a good thing I suppose.

BANNED

Which DC movies do you find interesting to discuss?

I think this could be a great movie and I tip my cap to the people who managed to get the green light to do this. I'm also pretty sure this could've been done with absolutely no association with DC at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Jack's Joker definitely had something going on with his mouth.

Jack was campy

Ledger was realistic.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 09-03-2019 at 03:32 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    When people discuss Marvel films, they don't actually talk about the individual movies; they talk about about what the after credits teaser entails.
    Or they discuss how China's box office is only an issue when it is movies they don't like are making bank.

Train wrecks are more fun to talk about, Than stuff without inherent big flaws. Snyder stuff DCEU have been fascinating to talk because of the flaws. It is not a knock against Marvel it is just spectacularly bad stuff is more fun to talk about than efficiently consistently good stuff. On that note nobody is talking about Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Shazam movies because they are good. It is not like Marvel movies haven't generated convos for example

Black Panther had convos on Afrofuturism, Colonization,African diaspora, Killmonger Philosophy,etc
    Avengers Infinity War had discussion on the snap and its effects and If Thanos was right
    Avengers Endgame had discussion on Time Travel and the big moments and deaths

I mean are the DC convos anything more than analyzing what went wrong with Snyder approach?

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    Which DC movies do you find interesting to discuss?

I think this could be a great movie and I tip my cap to the people who managed to get the green light to do this. I'm also pretty sure this could've been done with absolutely no association with DC at all.
    That is my problem with the movie if you were to call it "Chuckles" and change DC characters call outs to something else would people go this is a Joker movie. I am legit happy that it is a good movie but it remind of the early days of comic book movies where they felt that had changes to make comic book movies work. I would rather see something heavily based in source material be success when this movie gets praise there is a element of "hey remove the bad comic book elements and that is why it is good." At least removes a little more of sigmatism of comic book movies don't have good character acting

This movie doesn’t seem to have anything to do with DC Comics.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Train wrecks are more fun to talk about, Than stuff without inherent big flaws. Snyder stuff DCEU have been fascinating to talk because of the flaws. It is not a knock against Marvel it is just spectacularly bad stuff is more fun to talk about than efficiently consistently good stuff. On that note nobody is talking about Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Shazam movies because they are good. It is not like Marvel movies haven't generated convos for example

Black Panther had convos on Afrofuturism, Colonization,African diaspora, Killmonger Philosophy,etc
    Avengers Infinity War had discussion on the snap and its effects and If Thanos was right
    Avengers Endgame had discussion on Time Travel and the big moments and deaths

I mean are the DC convos anything more than analyzing what went wrong with Snyder approach?

That is my problem with the movie if you were to call it "Chuckles" and change DC characters call outs to something else would people go this is a Joker movie. I am legit happy that it is a good movie but it remind of the early days of comic book movies where they felt that had changes to make comic book movies work. I would rather see something heavily based in source material be success when this movie gets praise there is a element of "hey remove the bad comic book elements and that is why it is good." At least removes a little more of sigmatism of comic book movies don't have good character acting
    I think in a lot of ways that's what the MCU should be most proud of... helping to take away the stigma associated with comic books and super heroes. Not that they are the first by any means to break that boundry... but under the MCU comic super heroes went from just acceptable to being the driving force in the movie industry. And they didn't hide the fact that they were comic book movies... they wore that on their sleeve proudly as they went on to produce hit after hit after hit.

I'll be seeing this opening weekend because it looks good. But yea as other have stated this coulda been New York instead of Gotham and it wouldnt need any association with DC. Now there could be stuff in the movie that they dont spoil in the trailers that makes it feel more like a movie about Thee Joker and not just a crazy guy dressed like a clown who gets **** on by life one too many time. Regardless doesnt matter Phoenix makes me wanna see this.

FB_IMG_1567359661525.jpg

The hardest of passes.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    FB_IMG_1567359661525.jpg

The hardest of passes.
    While I don't want to sound like "Captain Conspiracy Theory", aren't you assuming a lot of stuff is on the level there?

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    While I don't want to sound like "Captain Conspiracy Theory", aren't you assuming a lot of stuff is on the level there?
    It is starting to be covered a bit in news outlets when the movie is release they will be more talk about it. Part of coverage and discussion on the Joker movie is going to be gigantic trash storm that is going to be bring out the worst on the internet. For me I want to say it is just a movie but yeah what they have been describing does sound like an Incel dream scenario movie. Now in reality this movie should lead to rational discussion on which a film maker isn't responsible for message of their film being mistaken on the internet by some poor guy who needs help but since it is the internet is going be stupid with a bunch of mudsling. But is is unavoidable convo in mass shooter era where a disenfranchised white male resorts to violence because the "world doesn't understand him". Yeah part of discussion on this movie is not going to be fun.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 09-03-2019 at 02:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    It is starting to be covered a bit in outlets when the movie is release they will be more talk about it. Part of coverage and discussion on the Joker movie is going to be gigantic trash storm that is going to be bring out the worst on the internet. For me I want to say it is just a movie but yeah what they have been describing does sound like an Incel dream scenario movie. Now in reality this movie should lead to rational discussion on which a film maker isn't responsible for message of their film being mistaken on the internet by some poor guy who needs help but since it is the internet is going be stupid with a bunch of mudsling. But is is unavoidable convo in mass shooter era where a disenfranchised white male resorts to violence because the "world doesn't understand him". Yeah part of discussion on this movie is not going to be fun.
    On this...

I'm just saying that my "Probably A Tune Up..." detector pinned in the red when I saw that.

Looking over this thread(right around post #883 up through post #890), it looks a whole lot like it is indeed nowhere near "On The Level".

- https://www.resetera.com/threads/jok...138366/page-18

While I don't doubt for a minute that something like it could wind up being a part of the bigger picture at some point, that just really felt like a hustle.

Personally, I feel like the "Hustle..." will be out in full force when it comes to this film.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 09-03-2019 at 02:40 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    FB_IMG_1567359661525.jpg

The hardest of passes.
    The poster is clearly being sarcastic.