Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Would you like a pre-K aimed Batman and Sons show?

So I was bumbling around on fan sites like I do when I saw a link to this fun bit of cuteness here:

Which is apparently a puppet show about Godzilla teaching his kids or something. I can't speak Japanese but that's freaking adorable. And it kind of reminded me of my other favorite hero with kids - Batman, and I couldn't help but think WB/DC should do something like this for our favorite Bat-themed daddy figure. I mean in animation there's been Batman stuff for the older fans (the PG-13 and occasionally R rated DTV movies) and stuff for kids (the Batman Unlimited series, the cartoon series that Cartoon Network kept killing off), but nothing really for the really young kids. I mean there was that online Super Friends revival, but I think it's over now. And with Disney Jr working on Spidey and his Amazing Friends for the pre-K set, it wouldn't hurt for WB to get their own similarly age ranged show for the youngest generation of fans out there.

I don't know, I just think a little cartoon or puppet show about Batman teaching the various Robins life lessons that younger viewers can take to heart would be a pretty neat thing to have. Just a quick thought I had that I wanted to share.

I'm not a pre-K and don't have pre-K kids or grandkids, so I probably wouldn't like it, but I'd be great with it existing. Even better if used-to-be-his-daughter Cass is there, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I'm not a pre-K and don't have pre-K kids or grandkids, so I probably wouldn't like it, but I'd be great with it existing. Even better if used-to-be-his-daughter Cass is there, though.
    Oh, having the Batgirls join in would be great as well. One of the few times where you can really utilize more of the Batfamily and have it work. Just focus on a couple different Bat kids each episode. Maybe even include Helena Wayne/Huntress in the line up. Still maybe not make the cast too big, at least at first, so start with like maybe 3 boys and 3 girls, and then maybe expand from there if needed. Maybe Dick, Jason, and Tim at first on the boy's side of the cast, introducing Damian as a baby/toddler towards the end of the season or somewhere in the second season, and Babs, Cass, and Steph on the girl's side of the cast.

Maybe include Duke/Signal as a friend who visits a lot to help add more diversity to the cast.

And Ace the Bathound because kids love doggies.

I am having fun with this idea.

Like muppet babies?

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Like muppet babies?
    Or PJ Masks, the upcoming Spidey and his Amazing Friends, WordGirl, or any other number of shows for pre-schoolers out there.
    Unless you're hung up on the puppet thing, in which case it doesn't have to be puppets. Muppet Babies isn't the only puppet show for kids though. Sesame Street for example, or Eureka's Castle, Howdy Doody or whatever it was from the 50s.

Nope, I have no interest in such a project. IMO, Batman is to mature a concept for kids that young.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Nope, I have no interest in such a project. IMO, Batman is to mature a concept for kids that young.
    Not sure if that's sarcasm/joking or not. I mean, Super Friends, Batman: The Brave and the Bold, those times he did a team up with Scooby-Doo, the old 66 show with Adam West, all the Lego Batman stuff, the Batman Imaginext play sets, coloring books and the like. You might not have an interest in that sort of thing, and I'm not going to judge that, but Batman has totally worked as a concept and character for kids that young before. He doesn't always have to be that dark, brooding, or violent to work, and there are plenty of versions to kind of prove it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Not sure if that's sarcasm/joking or not. I mean, Super Friends, Batman: The Brave and the Bold, those times he did a team up with Scooby-Doo, the old 66 show with Adam West, all the Lego Batman stuff, the Batman Imaginext play sets, coloring books and the like. You might not have an interest in that sort of thing, and I'm not going to judge that, but Batman has totally worked as a concept and character for kids that young before. He doesn't always have to be that dark, brooding, or violent to work, and there are plenty of versions to kind of prove it.
    You forgot those Batman Unlimited short lived direct-to-video and toy line.

Not to mention, the merchandising of Batman even goes as aiming demographics as early as baby clothes and diapers with Batman's image.

But the Batman 1966 Adam West show was initially aimed at prime time, families, not just children, and the comics themselves back then, aside from an occassional murder mystery, the mood of the comics and the show was the same.

But I can go for a jr - based Batman show - but keep it simple - as in the heroes be kid versions of Bruce Wayne, Richard Grayson, Barbara Gordon - all same age-ish just for that show - and parental figures be Alfred Pennyworth and James Gordon, or Thomas and Martha Wayne. Remember, just about all jr shows - the protagonists are kids, for kid audience to relate with.
    Last edited by ngroove; 08-28-2019 at 04:37 PM.

I wasn't joking. Batman done right (true to form) isn't a concept for little kids it is (rightly) too dark. I'd prefer something like the old Animated Series rather than a K or Pre-K show. A series everyone can enjoy.

Incredible Member

Or PJ Masks, the upcoming Spidey and his Amazing Friends, WordGirl, or any other number of shows for pre-schoolers out there.
    Unless you're hung up on the puppet thing, in which case it doesn't have to be puppets. Muppet Babies isn't the only puppet show for kids though. Sesame Street for example, or Eureka's Castle, Howdy Doody or whatever it was from the 50s.
    Muppet Babies, post Muppets Takes Manhattan, are not puppets - as afterwards, they are either hand-drawn animation, or CGI animation, with muppet-y texture.

I wasn't joking. Batman done right (true to form) isn't a concept for little kids it is (rightly) too dark. I'd prefer something like the old Animated Series rather than a K or Pre-K show. A series everyone can enjoy.
    Is Brave and the Bold not true to form? It isn't too dark for kids of any age I think.
    No reason we couldn't have an animated series everyone can enjoy and something aimed at the younger set. I think having a few different things aimed at different demographics would be good, have something for everybody. Like a pre-k show, an all ages action show, and the darker DTV movie line, really get a variety of Batman media out there.

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    Muppet Babies, post Muppets Takes Manhattan, are not puppets - as afterwards, they are either hand-drawn animation, or CGI animation, with muppet-y texture.
    I know that (grew up on the old cartoon in the early 90s), but as a show about characters most famous for being puppets was the only thing Godlike13 referenced I thought maybe he was stuck on the puppet show idea. If that makes sense.

Is Brave and the Bold not true to form? It isn't too dark for kids of any age I think.
    No reason we couldn't have an animated series everyone can enjoy and something aimed at the younger set. I think having a few different things aimed at different demographics would be good, have something for everybody. Like a pre-k show, an all ages action show, and the darker DTV movie line, really get a variety of Batman media out there.
    What you are advocating is something aimed at even younger kids. I have no interest in such a project and feel it wouldn't work. You asked people what they thought, well, this is what I think.

What you are advocating is something aimed at even younger kids. I have no interest in such a project and feel it wouldn't work. You asked people what they thought, well, this is what I think.
    Alright, fair enough. Agree to disagree.

I really should be above being upset by entertainment not aimed at my demographic, and I'm generally cool people having their TT: Go! and DC:SHG. But I'm not gonna lie, this one probably raise my blood pressure.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)