Default Lois Lane #3 Spoilers

Another great issue. The Questions finally meet face to face and it looks like 52 is still in canon (or at least the part where The previous Question died). Really enjoyed the little fight scene between the two. Lois and Clark have a heart to heart and Clark ends up messing up by adding more fuel to the fire about the rumors. I did like Lois telling him she knows he’s smarter than that “aw shucks” act he puts on, that was a great moment.

Looks like next up we’re getting the elephant in the room with Lois and Jon talking. Hope Rucka handles it well, everything else he’s done so far I’ve enjoyed!
    Last edited by Vordan; 09-05-2019 at 07:21 AM.

Astonishing Member

I actually really like that Rucka brought it home with the really banal mom/son shared living space awkwardness. I mean like it wasn't long ago she was probably giving him baths and now he's up-aged to be a Legion-aged teenager and all embarrassed, which is quick even by dear god kids grow so fast standards.

Renee and Vic was great. Renee and Charlie (sic). He is Vic but obviously the "important" people call him Charlie. So you know, Tot Rodor, Renee Montoya, Helena Bertinelli ... Greg Rucka and Denny O'Neil. This is making me want to do a great big re-read from The Question to No Man's Land to 52 to Crime Bible to Revelations to Detective Back-Ups and all that Cully Hamner jazz to the Blackest Night one-shot.

52 still in continuity. Montoya pulling double-duty these days both as Detective Montoya AND Follow-Up Question. Is the Trinity of Sin jive still in-continuity? That is the Question. Or New 52 shady Vic Sage? Also if 52 still in continuity (one would presume at least a fair shake of Montoya's Question appearances also still count then) then what about Multiverse-hopping in Final Crisis? Not that anyone really remembers all that tampered history more than echoes of it (Flash, this week's JL).
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I liked clark and lois bit. Even, renee and vic bit. But, i didn't care for the joke. I felt, really? They are doing this, again. To be fair this was executed better than how Bendis did it.
    I am looking forward to someone else writing jon. So far the best writers for jon in my opinion have been. Tomasi, jurgens and snyder.i hope it's a fun issue.i hope lois is adamant on not letting the kid go.

Seeing as how in the comics Lois & Clark have so many sex scenes and so many shower and bath scenes im suprised people say the last panel is "squicky" or "gross"!.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ARIARAIDEN View Post
    Seeing as how in the comics Lois & Clark have so many sex scenes and so many shower and bath scenes im suprised people say the last panel is "squicky" or "gross"!.
    Well! That's her son.this the second time. It would be weird if people didn't find it "gross"

Quote Originally Posted by ARIARAIDEN View Post
    Well, that's not Clark in the shower. If it was, no one would care. It being Jon...

This was another really strong issue. Rucka just nails the dynamic between Lois & Clark. A few of the highlights for me were Lois calling him out on his "aw shucks" persona when she knows he knows exactly what he's doing. The dynamic is just handled so well by Rucka. Their banter even in the middle of a fight and the flying sequence was on point as well. So many lesser writers would have handled that so much worse, either making the dialogue to mean or really playing up the fight side more. Here, it was hit just right. She was definitely mad at him, he was definitely doing a stupid macho thing that will end up making things worse for her, but they understand each other and respect each other.

I am still curious as to how Rucka is playing out Lois' experience presumably in space that she is not sharing. I'm really wondering if it's meant to be more than what we saw in Superman #7 at this point. It wouldn't surprise me if that was being fleshed out more by Rucka. But I'm curious to see what it all is and if it all plays into each other. My theory - there is going to be some connection to between the slaving trade Jon busted up in space and the detention centers Lois was reporting on. Maybe even tie the russian journalists investigation into it all. Similar to Young Justice's meta human storyline this past season.

The art, which I'm still kinda iffy on, actually worked really well for me here. I thought Lois' expressions in particular were very detailed and you got the gist of the story from those alone. Really contrasts with some of the art in other Super books where some of the expressions seem completely at odds with the dialogue.

The Jon joke didn't bother me. I like that Lois & Clark have an obviously healthy sex life here, are very into each other, and we see that. It's great to actually see a married couple in comics portrayed that way. Jon's just gotta come to terms with the fact that his parents are still really really into each other and learn to both knock and announce his presence a little more obviously. Comes with two parents who are still very passionate about each other and have a healthy sex life.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post

The Jon joke didn't bother me. I like that Lois & Clark have an obviously healthy sex life here, are very into each other, and we see that. It's great to actually see a married couple in comics portrayed that way. Jon's just gotta come to terms with the fact that his parents are still really really into each other and learn to both knock and announce his presence a little more obviously. Comes with two parents who are still very passionate about each other and have a healthy sex life.
    I actually don't see it as a joke but yeah, I agree with your assessment as well as adding that it's another device to also show Jon's aging up. It's no longer about his parents needing the privacy, he does too (and no I don't think they are about to put Jon in some type of relationship this soon when just last year he was practically a baby and know folks are still touch about the aging up). I do agree about them learning to announce their presence more clearly to avoid this mishap from happening again. It's probably the last time we'll eve see something like this anyway.

I LOVE everything with Clark and Lois. Rucka covered everything that makes their relationship so good when it's well written. It's romantic, mature, cute and with just the right amount of banter that's not melodramatic for the sake of it. They know each other and compliment each other so well, I just love it. I loved that Lois knew Superman had canvassed the crime scene at super speed whilst everyone remained oblivious, at least that's how I'm reading it based on her eagerness to leave just after giving her statement. However the art threw me off with the two Questions, how they ended up in the alley but that's a minor issue overall.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Damn fine comics right here. Damn fine. Really dug the hell out of Lois and Clark in this one. I actually really enjoyed Clark's "me Tarzan" style posturing with good intentions behind it, and I like that Lois does in fact call him out on it. I really just love the feel of Lois' world here, and how all the moving parts a playing off one another. I thought the scene with Jon was fine. I like how their whole living situation is so atypical that they can fumble over one another in these comedic ways, and also express the scale that the operate on. Lois get home from a hard day and have some alone time with her husband even though he was just hundreds of miles away seconds ago. Clark can casually ask Lois a question or steal a kiss as if she were just down the hall in her study. And that level of freedom and grandness comes with its weird moments or awkward moments.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Have to agree that it was a great character study of Lois, and Rucka really gets her dynamic with Clark. The art really manages to set the mood in the comic as well. And Rucka managed some lighter moments as well, like Lois talking to Clark while walking down the street with Renee, or Lois walking in on Jon.

My main concern here is that the comic doesn't advance the plot at all. It's a great character and relationship study, but very little plot. If this was a six-issue miniseries, I'd be seriously concerned about this, but it still leaves me a bit worried for a rushed ending.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I hesitate to call it a filler issue, because it really is such a good character study of their relationship. So I don't particularly mind it at this point. But yeah, it barely inched the plot forward. We got a little hint that she wasn't the target through "Clark's investigation" another tease on what happened to her in space and the Question stuff. And with next issue possibly spending a chunk of time on Jon's decision to join the Legion, this is a bit of an interlude. Hopefully Renee or Lois call in some favors and get to interview the shooter next issue on top of the Jon stuff.

I'd say it's very far from a filler issue. Filler issues tends to be disconnected from the overall narrative, and seldom says anything new about the characters. They can be cute and funny, but are seldom deep. This issue was probably one of the deepest examinations of the relations between Lois and Clark in comics ever, and really shone a spotlight on that even Superman has blind spots and preconceptions in the way he sees things and acts.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])