Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Outside of Steve Trevor no one in Diana's lore is interesting at all, her mythos are so lack luster. Batman and Wonder Woman is my definitive pairing.

Being honest, I'd pick Batman over Steve if it weren't for my respect for the origins and status quo. Everyone else from her cast is actually more boring than Steve.
    Disagree with everything you said here. WonderBat is one of the worst ideas I hear floated around from time to time...

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Does anyone know who the characters were on the last page that have a proposition for Grail? They look familiar but I can't figure out who they could be.
    Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    I have no idea.Maybe they're a redesigned version of the Three Fates from Greek Mythology?
    That's a strong possibly, but there is actually four of them.

They sort of reminded me of the Dark Gods from Robinson's run.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Wait - there was a one-shot of Steve fighting The Crimson Centipede, and I missed it??? Sweet Jesus! When did this come out?
    It also has a revamped version of Eviless called Saturna. It was a pretty solid one and done, and I'd love to see Tim Seeley on the main book to revamp more obscure villains.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

I’m amazed that you guys thought Cheetah came off well in this issue, Wilson even emphasized what a loser she is without “powerful help (from Luthor)”. She’s gone from being an archeologist with 2 PhDs + super-speed to a Killer-Croc-type drooling beast with a borrowed sword that was droned in to her…

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    I’m amazed that you guys thought Cheetah came off well in this issue, Wilson even emphasized what a loser she is without “powerful help (from Luthor)”. She’s gone from being an archeologist with 2 PhDs + super-speed to a Killer-Croc-type drooling beast with a borrowed sword that was droned in to her…

How did Wilson emphasize what a loser Cheetah is?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

...She’s gone from being an archeologist with 2 PhDs + super-speed to a Killer-Croc-type drooling beast with a borrowed sword that was droned in to her…
    Have to agree, here. Barb Minerva is the monster. Cheetah is just the weapon that Minerva uses to get the job done. It's not like Cheetah is a separate, dumber, more violent being.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

How did Wilson emphasize what a loser Cheetah is?
    It’s made abundantly clear that Cheetah didn’t pose much of a threat to Wonder Woman before Luthor dropped the sword in her lap which I wouldn’t have such an issue with if a) Cheetah had tracked the Godkiller down herself and b) she used her speed to hack at Wonder Woman

But no, she’s presented as a one-dimensional villain who’s the lucky recipient of quote unquote "powerful help"

It’s made abundantly clear that Cheetah didn’t pose much of a threat to Wonder Woman before Luthor dropped the sword in her lap which I wouldn’t have such an issue with if a) Cheetah had tracked the Godkiller down herself and b) she used her speed to hack at Wonder Woman

But no, she’s presented as a one-dimensional villain who’s the lucky recipient of quote unquote "powerful help"

I don't think we've seen enough of Wilson's Cheetah to say that the case and I'm not even the biggest fan of Wilson's run on Wonder Woman so far. Yes, it's true that Luthor helped Cheetah find the God Killer but that's on Snyder as that plot-point came from Justice League.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

The problem is the same, as always, with Cheetah. We don't know what she wants, her motivating ambition, and the writer hasn't made that clear.

Why does she want the power to kill WW? Why does she want to kill her, anyway? What is it that Cheetah wants, that WW threatens? What is it that WW wants, that Cheetah threatens? We don't know what Cheetah wants, and that's why her characterization is so shallow and inconsistent.

These questions of motivation can only be resolved through the characterization of Barbara Minerva's narrative.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    The problem is the same, as always, with Cheetah. We don't know what she wants, her motivating ambition, and the writer hasn't made that clear.

Why does she want the power to kill WW? Why does she want to kill her, anyway? What is it that Cheetah wants, that WW threatens? What is it that WW wants, that Cheetah threatens? We don't know what Cheetah wants, and that's why her characterization is so shallow and inconsistent.

These questions of motivation can only be resolved through the characterization of Barbara Minerva's narrative.
    Her motivations were already established at the end of Godwatch. She's angry that fate brought Diana and Gods into her life and resulted in her being cursed, deflecting any responsibility she had for herself that lead her down this path. She wants to tear them down and make them unworthy like her.

Her appearance and motivations are consistent with earlier arcs. We already know why she wants to get to Themyscira.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Her motivations were already established at the end of Godwatch. She's angry that fate brought Diana and Gods into her life and resulted in her being cursed, deflecting any responsibility she had for herself that lead her down this path. She wants to tear them down and make them unworthy like her.

Her appearance and motivations are consistent with earlier arcs. We already know why she wants to get to Themyscira.

Thank you. I get a little confused as to why people keep questioning Cheetah's motivation. George Perez clearly established it in Wonder Woman #9 Vol. 2(Post-Crisis), Geoff Johns clearly established it in Justice League #13 & 14(New 52), and Greg Rucka clearly established it in Godwatch(Rebirth). Do people question the Joker's motivation? Luthor's motivation? Black Manta's motivation? I swear that Cheetah is called into question much more than most other arch-nenemses.

Thank you. I get a little confused as to why people keep questioning Cheetah's motivation. George Perez clearly established it in Wonder Woman #9 Vol. 2(Post-Crisis), Geoff Johns clearly established it in Justice League #13 & 14(New 52), and Greg Rucka clearly established it in Godwatch(Rebirth). Do people question the Joker's motivation? Luthor's motivation? Black Manta's motivation? I swear that Cheetah is called into question much more than most other arch-nenemses.
    An absolutely fair point.

Her motivation has been clear to me since Rucka redeveloped her. I just wish she'd be used more usefully and dynamically in Justice League. Sadly, all of the villains Snyder pulled together for the Legion of Doom aren't really getting a chance to shine.

The problem with Cheetah is that she doesn't have truly iconic, defining stories/moments the way most other arch-nemeses do. I think Gail Simone tried to give her one with that Genocide arc but it wasn't that great and had too many other villains in it to be a good Cheetah story. And now Wilson's story is hindered by the fact that Cheetah got the weapon handed to her on a silver plate by Luthor. Oh well, maybe when WW1984 comes out she'll finally get her due.

Most popular story with CHeetah would be Perez.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Most popular story with CHeetah would be Perez.
    It's really not a good look that Minerva's most popular story is her origin from decades ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    It's really not a good look that Minerva's most popular story is her origin from decades ago.
    That's because she's so often depicted as a crazy cat lady rather than a credible threat.

tumblr_l4sdyquxcS1qbgsmko1_1280.jpg