Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    This is terrifyingly false. The IRS has had their staff crippled over the years, and audit less than 0,1% of the returns of households making less than 200 thousand dollars. They audit a MUCH higher percentage of households making more than that.

Yes, most of the taxes paid are paid by the middle class, but that's because most of the money is earned by the middle class, depending on how one defines it.
    I strongly disagree with most of that, but this is not the forum to discuss it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    We generally try and avoid using the word ‘fanboys’ as a pejorative term. It can get a bit inflammatory.
    This was past experiences not here.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    I strongly disagree with most of that, but this is not the forum to discuss it.
    As you like, you can disagree with facts, it's just usually a bad idea. I say this coming from a family with multiple American CPAs and tax lawyers in it.

I'm not saying that the system is perfect or fair to everyone, but audits isn't the place where it's NOT fair.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

As you like, you can disagree with facts, it's just usually a bad idea. I say this coming from a family with multiple American CPAs and tax lawyers in it.

I'm not saying that the system is perfect or fair to everyone, but audits isn't the place where it's NOT fair.
    One thing that Rumbles has taught me is to not accept statements as facts in any debate, and I've found that doubly true in political ones. If you Obi Wanna post your definitions of how the middle class earns more than the rich in the USA I encourage it, but this isn't the place for such non-Rumble discussions as we'll get it all deleted. That's what the politics thread in the Community forum is for, though I warn you it's not for the thin of skin or for those who tend to explode when involved in political debates.

So yeah, anyway, pis off? Strange transmutes Hulk into a potted plant or something and zorches it.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    So yeah, anyway, pis off? Strange transmutes Hulk into a potted plant or something and zorches it.
    Xavier (Who had the Mind Gem at this point IIRC) could easily lock him in a mental delusion for long enough for any number of inventive things to be done.

The only one who might struggle to deal with him is Namor, because Namor’s answer would be punching.

All the others would be saying “Hold my beer.”

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    The only one who might struggle to deal with him is Namor, because Namor’s answer would be punching.

All the others would be saying “Hold my beer.”
    You know full well Namor would just seduce him.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    You know full well Namor would just seduce him.
    And then he can exploit the Hulk's true weakness...

Stamina.

Can you cite specific examples of what you are referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    And then he can exploit the Hulk's true weakness...

Stamina.
    This was hilarious. And terrible. Terribly hilarious?
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    This was hilarious. And terrible. Terribly hilarious?
    The aftermath was even funnier.

Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

This is terrifyingly false. The IRS has had their staff crippled over the years, and audit less than 0,1% of the returns of households making less than 200 thousand dollars. They audit a MUCH higher percentage of households making more than that.

Yes, most of the taxes paid are paid by the middle class, but that's because most of the money is earned by the middle class, depending on how one defines it.
    I've been audited and I have never made 200 grand that's for damn sure.

Luckily as an accountant I was able to argue the point (something had been misfiled) and get them off my back. But that doesn't change the fact that the letter is pay up or we'll toss your ass in prison.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    I've been audited and I have never made 200 grand that's for damn sure.

Luckily as an accountant I was able to argue the point (something had been misfiled) and get them off my back. But that doesn't change the fact that the letter is pay up or we'll toss your ass in prison.
    Actually, that's not an audit, that's just an adjustment. They discover something based on a misfiling like you say, and they send you a bill (or a check) for the difference in owed tax that they think you owe on first pass, along with penalties and interest. It does NOT say "pay up or we'll toss your ass in prison." It does say you owe this, you have X days to reply with a response. If you reply with "I'm not paying, here's why" or "you miscalculated, here's the real deal, and so here's what I'll pay or what you'll pay me" they will evaluate the situation. If they don't agree with your reply, they will likely open an audit. An audit means that they go through your shit on a deeply more involved level, after which they will make a judgement on how much you owe (or are owed). This will take a while. When finished you will get a final bill. You can now pay or go to court. It's a drawn out and painful process.

In the US I've had an adjustment against me (accountant made a mistake on a 1099, the accountant took care of the problem and the penalties and I just paid the difference in tax) and an adjustment for me (IRS sent me a check for too much tax paid, I'm still not entirely sure why). Neither of these were audits though. That sounds like what happened to you.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Actually, that's not an audit, that's just an adjustment. They discover something based on a misfiling like you say, and they send you a bill (or a check) for the difference in owed tax that they think you owe on first pass, along with penalties and interest. It does NOT say "pay up or we'll toss your ass in prison." It does say you owe this, you have X days to reply with a response. If you reply with "I'm not paying, here's why" or "you miscalculated, here's the real deal, and so here's what I'll pay or what you'll pay me" they will evaluate the situation. If they don't agree with your reply, they will likely open an audit. An audit means that they go through your shit on a deeply more involved level, after which they will make a judgement on how much you owe (or are owed). This will take a while. When finished you will get a final bill. You can now pay or go to court. It's a drawn out and painful process.

In the US I've had an adjustment against me (accountant made a mistake on a 1099, the accountant took care of the problem and the penalties and I just paid the difference in tax) and an adjustment for me (IRS sent me a check for too much tax paid, I'm still not entirely sure why). Neither of these were audits though. That sounds like what happened to you.
    Fair enough, your right it wasn't an audit.

I still don't trust the IRS at all.